Is there a setting in my account to block streaming videos?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am always going over my data because people try to watch videos and movies frequently. I was wondering if their is a setting to block them before my data runs out?
Photo of cloudd_walker

cloudd_walker

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
No there is no such setting.  You would need a firewall / router capable of blocking sites based on content or site name as a starting point.  I know many of the Netgear routers have some content filtering capabilities, but it is very basic. 
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
There should be a setting on the DirecTV receiver to block On Demand and Internet access. But there isn't. They also make it so once you have connected your receiver to the Internet through WiFi there is no easy way to disconnect it.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
If you change the password on the router would that disconnect the box?  It wasn't an issue for us since we didn't have internet set up here yet when we had the Directv set up so it was never connected.  I don't believe we had it connected to the internet at our old place either as far as I know.  That certainly would be a pain to have the receiver using up data. 
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Yes, changing the wireless router security password is the only way I was able to block the Directv Genie streaming receiver.  Thanks to a tip from another Exeder I now have a second browser connected through the first browser. The second browser is a Linksys that has a setup that allows Access Control.  That allows you to set up a schedule for when Internet access is available through that secondary router, and that's the one I allow my DirecTV receiver  to connect to.  It is set to only allow access during the Early Bird Free Zone: 3 to 8 AM, since I'm on the Evolution plan.  This could be done with a single router if it had Access Control, but my Buffalo WHR-HP-g300n router doesn't have it.  The linksys was my main router before, but I replaced it with the Buffalo to get N speed data transfer to support HD video streaming. There is alternate DD-Wrt firmware available for my Buffalo router that includes  Access Control, probably, but I'm going to see how the present setup works.
Photo of Thomas Black

Thomas Black

• 31 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
In Firefox you can disable your flash player in the browsers settings.You may be able to do this in every browser I am not sure. When you do that, Adobe will pop up a message on any streaming video asking if you want to activate Adobe Flash. Every website you visit with streaming video from then on will do this. You will see the message instead of the video. Only activate the website where you want to see the video. A bar will pop up along the top of the page when you do activate a video asking if you want to activate the flash just this once or be permanently active on that particular site. So you can choose the sites where you want video. Or have none playing on any site. Hope this helps!
Photo of cloudd_walker

cloudd_walker

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ok. Thanks everyone. =) I actually don't have directv connected to the net so that's a plus. It is more for tablets and such.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Lots of helpful responses, thanks everyone. cloudd_walker, if your router supports it, you could always setup a guest/secondary wireless network and set it to much slower speeds. This would at least limit the damage that can be done by someone hopping on your wifi.
Photo of cloudd_walker

cloudd_walker

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will have to check my router settings! Thanks so much for all of the info everyone. It's much appreciated
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
If your router setup includes Access Control, you can choose to either allow or block any specific computer or a range of IP addresses. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.