Is there a compatible modem I can buy? Or even the option to buy viasat's modem? I've paid over $400 now in lease fees.

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
I am so sick of that monthly charge.  I suppose its a drop in the well when you're already paying 150 bucks a month because you have zero other options but it still sucks.  I use it in bridge mode because the router in it is horrendous so just need an option for a modem.  Thanks.
Photo of Robert Ashdown

Robert Ashdown

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Ripped off.

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1252 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Nope.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2399 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Hello Robert, Due to the specifications, needed for our service you are not able to purchase a modem or any of our equipment. 
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
But you get to keep the dish!
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 135 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
We recently had a service repair. And even though we pay for easy care on top of lease fee they still say "there could be potential charges". What kind of BS is that?
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1240 Posts
  • 772 Reply Likes
Why do you pay for Easycare? Just curious because if you do the math I am betting you have paid more for it than service calls would have cost you.
(Edited)
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 135 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Yeah I'm probably going to cancel it
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1240 Posts
  • 772 Reply Likes
It is your money. I just know when you do the math Viasat is making money off Easy Care (or they wouldn't offer it of course).

If in the end a consumer ends up with more money in their pocket than a corporation, all the better!
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Are customers able to purchase the equipment at the beginning instead of leasing it?  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Viasat used to have that option when Viasat 1 came online. I don't believe they offer it anymore.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Wow.   Granted, most people would choose to lease, anyway, but I had no idea that they couldn't buy it if they wanted to.  That's a little shocking, to be honest.  

I remember that when I started with DirecWay back in late 2004 it was the opposite, as in there were no leasing options.  You could only buy the equipment, though they did give the option of breaking the cost up over 14 or 15 (can't remember which) monthly payments, which was added to the regular monthly service payment.  That's what I did.   
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I would've rather bought the modem as well. In the long run it's cheaper than leasing.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
When I first got Viasat in April 2012 I was able to purchase a lifetime lease for $250. That has been a great investment. I think the still offer the lifetime lease, but is around $350 or more now.

The downside of the lifetime lease is that if you change to a plan that requires a different modem, the lifetime lease expires.