Is there a BEST WIFI router?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I am currently using a Netgear system consisting of an N600 Dual Band Router with a Universal Netgear range extender WN200RPT.

Not being a Techie with this stuff I do wonder if there are better routers that work well with the Excede signal? What I do know is that this Netgear system was a vast improvement over the older Belkin one I had before but it is now over 3-4 years old and I don't know if technology has made things better?

Gary
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I build my own routers. I am on one right now as I type this. I use small itx computers "basicly that is what a router is" and install some free firmware on them and bam you have yourself a full fleged router. I also build to sell as well. These run me any where from $250 - 600 all depends on what you are going to be using it for eg: home or business. No this is not a ad for business just an example.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Gary,

Largely it's a matter of personal opinion but my preferences lean towards any of the ASUSWRT  family of routers although considered by many to be pricier. I switched from Linksys just under two years ago to an ASUS RT-N65R and haven't had any problems with it. There are various price entry points depending upon features wanted/needed. If forced to replace it today, I would likely go with the RT-N56U or RT-N66R, but there are lower price entry points. The built-in traffic monitoring is sufficient for most needs.

You'll surely receive other recommendations, we're not short on opinions around here and YMMV. 

Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Gary,
I use a Netgear WNDR4300. Works great, has the UPS 2.0 built in. Good range even outside of the house maybe 150 feet or so. It's about a $100 box.

They have new ones out with USB 3.0 now. And offer more control on monitoring different connected devices with ways of sharing the data up and down. About $190 to $250.

I have used Linksys  and Belkin over the years, they did the job, but Belkin just seemed a cheaper build with less options.

Technology changes make it a never ending upgrade. I get about 3 to 4 years, then get pushed into the next best thing.

Tracking data and usage is and will be a bigger thing now into the future. Try to get something that will help you down the road.

Good luck,
Everett
(Edited)
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Thanks Everett. I am limited with vendors here and went shopping today. Between Staples and Best Buy and sales clerks not very familiar with Excede I made the best choice I could find. ASUS RT-AC68P/ AC 1900 Dual Band Gigabit router. This one claims to have excellent range as well a bunch of functions I will never employ but I won't make the switch until tomorrow because I have heavy snow and poor connection conditions tonight.

I hope to get it installed tomorrow and will report back once I have it set up. Any tips you or others might have will be much appreciated because I just don't have a deep understanding of all this tech stuff. I do know that ASUS has apps I can get to monitor data usage so I hope to be able to figure this stuff out after I get it installed.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Good news Gary. I have read many good reviews about ASUS and their new line of routers. I have purchased several of their motherboards an never had an issue.

I would not expect any problems getting it up and running. They almost install them selves.

Be sure to set a new password, something simple that you can remember. The stock passwords like; admin and password just don't cut it to really be secure.

If you have any question, just post back, and myself or someone will help you where we can.

I think it will work out for you.
Everett
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I doubt you'll have any problems with the install, it's pretty much an out of the box experience and as Everett suggests, ensure wireless access is properly secured with a password. Even if out in the middle of nowhere to ensure none of your own devices decide to say "hey look, a new wireless hotspot just opened up, let me use it". The password will let you control any devices thinking that you just walked into that newly opened "StarBest's" or "Seattle's Buck's" coffee.                

You've just jumped into the high end of the ASUS consumer router series.

The built-in traffic monitor is sufficient for most; start slow in turning on the added features ensuring AiCloud. in particular, is disabled - you don't want a 1TB hard drive attached to it (or 2 of them in this case it seems) synchronizing with the cloud even on the Freedom Plan if that's the case (that will likely earn you a strongly worded virtual email from Mr. Dapsworth) or if on a limited plan you'll find it's "gone in 60 seconds".

Once installed visit the Administration tab on the management utility and check for firmware updates - depending on actual date of manufacture updates may have occurred that you'll probably want to install.

It certainly won't be the bottleneck for internet access at 12Mbps (or slightly higher as the case often is).                       

(Edited)
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I too have used a various Netgear, Linksys and Belkin routers. Since you are FORCED to using a "rented" modem from EXEDE/WILDBLUE. and pay $10 (plus tax) an month for...it should be a WIFI modem with access points.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Excellent suggestion Ricky! I do not profess to know much about electronics but in today's Tech world it stands to reason that many of our devices connect via WIFI. A modem that incorporates WIFI capability all in one could certainly be a welcome addition and Viasat should be able to provide the very best internal WIFI link.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Ricky & Gary,
I think the comparison of Cable modems and Satellite modems take on two different forms of signal transmission. Granted, they seem the same sitting on your desktop.

Cable modems receive the signal trough a wire. The signal has traveled through miles of wire from the head-in shack. The head-in shack has additional receivers, widgets, and gis-whackers. The head-in shack receives the signal from antennas and or dishes on the ground and or on a tower.

Satellite modems receive from the receiving dish after a the signal goes through the air for how ever many miles. The head-in shack for satellite internet service is in the sky with all the added diodes and other gis-whackers. It receives the signal from transmission dishes on the ground connected by wires and or other satellite signals, VIA servers everywhere.

Another Achilles heel for all electronic equipment is heat. The more you cram gis-whackers into a box, the more heat. Exede's modem's job is singular, connect to mother ship Viasat and back to your modem. Put your hand on it. It's warm right.

Equipment shielding is another issue for not combining the two. The cable modem/ router is basically a splitter for the signal. If it offers WiFi, that is a simple add-on with out a multitude of diodes, resistors, and other heat producing gis-whackers.

Sorry, kind of drawn out answer. But to save space in the kitchen, would you want to combine the icebox with the cook stove?

Everett
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I see your point of combining :-) And I keep my modem as far away as possible. And I try to keep the other heat producing items where there is enoug ambient air around them. 
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thanks for the replies/comments. Hadn't been on this thread in awhile. My suggestion was based on Gary's question of which Wi-Fi router is 'best'. Because I've used, over the years, many of the routers that our residents suggested above (brands not models).
So, you're right about combining Everett. Because, I've had a number of them just stopped working at one time or another ( or working at a premium). And, would just go into the my storage box and plug in another. And usually up and running again. Just thought that Exede would make their modem with the combined ability to be wireless and have a hub/router a little less time consuming and would be to 'their' specs for optimum quality. But l am seeing others complaints where the 'rent' isn't what I thought it was.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Gary, the following routers have been tested with our Exede service and have been proven to work.

Vendor         Model Number(s)
D-Link          DI-604
Fritz Box      7270, 7390
Linksys        WRT310N V2, WRT54G, WRT54GL
MediaLink    MWN-WAPR150N

Hope this information was beneficial  :-) -Exede Lindsey 
Photo of Dontazz2003

Dontazz2003

• 47 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
How about netgear m450 is it working with exede
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
For the most part any wireless router should work just fine. I had HughesNet and now have exede ustill using the same WiFi router I've been using for years
Photo of Debra Elwell

Debra Elwell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My husband and I have Exede Satellite and need a Router to get Wi-Fi. We tried Belkin and it did not work. I need to find a good Wi-Fi router. All suggestions appreciated. We live in a very rural area and phone service is also not good. We are hoping to use the Wi-Fi calling feature on our phones. We need to get the most bang for our buck because we live on a fixed income.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
We share similar profiles, poor phone service, very rural and fixed finances. Exede has been very good for us but, we are not high tech fast lane folks requiring gobbs of data. We use the WiFi here with our I Phone 5 cell phones but on for texting and to my knowledge which is very limited I don't believe we can talk on the phones over WiFi. Other phones could have such a feature. I will caution you to pay very close attention to your data usage. Texting is not a data hog but it is very possible that voice talking over WiFi could be, I don't know but maybe others do. Emails are what I call Data Light unless you send and receive a lot of photos, watch Videos or do heavy work related files. A simple update from Apple for our phones can eat 30% of our monthly data so I do the updates where I am in a free WiFi zone or at a friends home who is not limited. I keep the Cloud turned off on all devices because that constant back and forth sharing between gadgets eats data fast.

Just be mindful and keep and eye on how much data you have used. My billing cycle goes from the first of each month so I check the data I have used around the tenth and again on the twentieth, if I am at 3 GBs ten day in or 6 GBs twenty days in then I am fine for the entire month.

Satellite internet does not put you in the fast lane on an unrestricted highway. For us it is more like we are in a passing zone so we can get ahead sometimes but have to sit back at other times. I am very happy with my ASUS router but I am sure I bought much more router than I need because the price seems to be linked to what added features a router has. They don't necessarily route any better when you go from the $50 ones and get in to the $200+ range but they do have features many of us would never use. 
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Any modern router should work fine with Exede. Here's a roundup of routers that might be useful.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
I use an ASUS RT-AC68U and it is great, but will be somewhat complex for a first-time user.  It is also one of the most expensive routers on the market.  It has great range and the output power is adjustable.
I have MetroPCS with LG-F60 phones and this router works great with calling / texting / internet over the Exede connection through this router.  I have made multi-hour long calls and didn't use over 0.2 GB in the process, so voice data usage on a cell phone is negligible and texting is nearly totally insignificant.

The downside...  Only ExedeVoice has a top bandwidth priority, so using your cell phone over Exede Internet gets standard priority and calling on ExedeVoice does does not count toward your data cap, but your cell phone will.  After you have exceeded your data cap, the cell phone still works but is subject to failure unless it is the ONLY thing you are using the internet for at the time of calls.

Your Exede physical location must be registered with your cell carrier to work correctly.  This is required by law for the e911 system to identify your location if calling 911.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Thanks Craig. I don't mean to drag this in to the weeds but we both use what I think are very similar routers. I have the ASUS RT AC68P/AC1900 and both me and the wife have I Phone 5 models. Not being well versed on this tech stuff I do wish there was some place here to post a tutorial on things such as using WiFi for cell calls. Where I live I get Zero cell signal and our phones show NO SERVICE at all but we can text over WiFi. I never knew there was a way to use the cell over WiFi and possibly we cannot with our particular phones. What is even worse is the instruction manual that came with my new router. It is printed in a few different languages including English but it might as well be all Greek to me. I did the very most basic set up at the start with the router and just made sure that I had the cloud sharing feature shut off. My home is on 3 acres and I can connect to WiFi just about anywhere out side. Wife works while I am retired so it is good to have some connection but in 2 years with these phones I have used exactly 54 minutes of actual cell talk time most of this was while out and in a service area because the phone is almost useless here at home. We are on the Verizon network but absolutely none of the big 4, AT&T, Sprint, T Mobil or Verizon have any signal here.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
@Gary...

There's good news and there's bad news....   It seems T-Mobile (of which MetroPCS is now a part of) may be the only carrier WiFi callings works on.. so far.

For a tutorial on setting up an iPhone to make WiFi calls, click HERE

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.