Is Satellite Internet a good choice for me?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I was wondering from the Viasat users if they thought Satellite would be a good option for me? I'm considering the Gold 30 plan or waiting and see what Viasat-2 offers for me. I currently am using a AT&T LTE modem for my internet. While first thing in the mornings I can hit 12 down normally in the afternoon I'm in the 2 to 3 range sometimes under 1. I have weak to non existent cellular signal at my house from all carriers. I'm using a 100db Cel-Fi booster just so I have signal inside my house. I do like to have the ability and have good quality so 720p would work for me although 1080 would be better. Currently in the afternoons 480p is normally the max I can stream at. I'm in East Tennessee and from what I can tell I would be on Beam 327 which doesn't appear to be maxed out since Freedom used to be offered before the unlimited plans came out. So even once i went over my priority data it still may be decent speeds. I will keep my hotspot plan since it only costs me $20 a month additional on my phone bill for things that need the lower latency, but would like the ability to download large files if need be and it not take an hour or hours.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Make sure you get the Gold 50 or the Platinum plan when you sign up. That will automatically put you on Viasat 2.

You can always downgrade to a lower level of service in the future and stay on Viasat 2.

Don't sign up for anything that is 30 mbps or lower. That will put you on the older Viasat 1.

Viasat 1 is an amazing piece of machinery but in some areas it is heavily congested. Signing up with a plan that puts you on Viasat 2 will give you the best speeds and for now, zero congestion issues.
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
What state do you live in?
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
East Tennessee
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Corey, hang tight and as Stephen Rice suggested. Opt for the 50Mbps plan or higher. VS2 will be available in East TN by March 1st.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Ok, that's what I will do. Thanks for the help.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
When will viasat 2 be available for illinois
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
When will you quit asking this just do as Brad has told you and check available plans on your account page.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
That won't help. Nothing will help.  We will be hearing that from him 'till the cows come home.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2799 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
I can't wait to hear the complaints about Gold 50.  I've got my popcorn ready.

Meanwhile, I'm still rocking and rolling on Liberty 12.  

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Bring 'em on. The Olympics will be over in a bit more than a week, and I hate being board, this forum does provide some good entertainment as well as some help for others.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Olympics? Is anybody paying attention to those spoiled athletes only worried about their "brand".

I miss the days when it was the U.S. versus the Evil Empire. Now it all has to be all politically correct with harmony and understanding.

In another post Brad said Viasat-2 should be completely rolled out by month end.

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
I only have been watching the curling. I happen to like the sport. The rest is nothing I have any interest in.

Let's keep this forum entertaining. I enjoy starting my day reading how Viasat is evil and is taking everyone's money while "stealing" their data. And those conspiracy theories, so entertaining too.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I understand there was a Russian curler that looked like Angelina Jolene. Now THAT would be more interesting to watch than reading this forum!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2799 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
Always wear your tin foil hat when using Viasat. Your brain waves will thank you.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Go thru and check if there is any other internet service in your area at all. Look up ATT fixed wireless as a possible option.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Unfortunately nothing else is available. My LTE modem works good first thing in the morning but slows down in the evening then starts to speed up slowly late at night.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 560 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
Do you have a Mobley? If so, have you tried the sim in a hotspot you can use a directional outside antenna with? 

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Well with viasat you should be able to stream video most of the time after you reach your data cap, in my experience. 720p will need about at least 3 mbps.  It depends on what you mean by large files. 10gb should be reasonably quick most of the time. It's hard to give an exact. It will depend on network management requirements. The only thing that I can say for sure is viasat is better than all of its satellite competitors. Just make sure that the equipment available to you is Viasat 2 equipment. If it is not it will be in the coming month.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
David, I do have a hotspot that supports external antennas. Unfortunately where I live is a valley where I can't get direct line of site. So I'm getting better signal with an omni directional antenna. But the tower I'm on appears to be somewhat congested in the evenings.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Ronald, looks like only Viasat 1 is only available to me at the moment. I'll keep checking daily for it.
Photo of David Ramos

David Ramos

• 21 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I am new to viasat as of yesterday. Only had Verizon dsl available to me for years. I am signed up to viasat2 . The difference is unbelievable! Had to call support to troubleshoot a problem with my router and it was the best experience I've ever had.
After all the reshearch this was the best offer and service. I'd recommend it.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
What plan did you get? And how well is streaming working for you?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I have a feeling that right now, it doesn't matter what plan you have on Viasat 2. 

There is no congestion to worry about on Viasat 2, so at the moment every plan should work better than advertised. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bronze Unlimited plan streams at least 480p for now until Viasat 2 gets more subscribers.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

Yup, Stephen is right.  If you go over your data allotment and get de-prioritized, ummmm....  de-prioritized behind who?  The other 5 people sharing nearly 300Gbps?  Viasat-2 is going to be fun for quite awhile.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

Yup, Stephen is right.  If you go over your data allotment and get de-prioritized, ummmm....  de-prioritized behind who?  The other 5 people sharing nearly 300Gbps?  Viasat-2 is going to be fun for quite awhile.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

My dbl-post fix broke...   :o(

Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Sounds like I'm going to be waiting for Viasat-2

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Bronze unlimited won't stream at 480p.

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Bronze unlimited won't stream at 480p.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I'll at least get gold maybe platinum price depending.
Photo of Larry Forehand

Larry Forehand

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Corey,
I live in Southwest Missouri and I have what Viasat (Exede in my area) calls their "unlimited" plan . I am 70 years old, neither my wife or I do any gaming. We check email and view occasional online tutorials or facebook auto-starting videos. We have DirecTv but have never been able to use any of its streaming services. A couple times a week we will watch maybe one hour of Netflix or  Hulu. Our unthrottled allowance is supposedly 150g. According to ViaSAT, WE USE THAT IN ABOUT 3 DAYS. We have security cameras and an alarm system which I have disconnected (I also have my old DSL service in order to have at least a semblence vof internet service), as I have all but one computer in our house as a "test" to evaluate what seems to be incredible usage. As of tonight, we are of course in the "we may prioritize your usage" zone due to our excessive usage. The internet speed on the one computer connected to Viasat tonight is 80kps. Yes "kps". Good luck as you make your decision.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

Larry Forehand

Can you make a short list of what is in your system operation?  Such as... Windows 10, Intel processor...  any router you may be using... things like that.  

Photo of Larry Forehand

Larry Forehand

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Intel Core I-7 3770, 8G Ram, Windows server 2008 OS, (NOT functioning as a network server, but as a standalone computer as I retired and need access to my office files), Exede Modem , computer connected via Ethernet to Linksys RE 6500 WAP.

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Looks like Windows 10 is using your data to upload updates. Here's the cure to that. See if that helps. I have Unlimitde Silver and, even with two computers, about 8 hrs streaming per week, a few 5 GB or smaller DLS, all auto updates ON, email, browsing, etc... I'm pushing to use 70 GB in a month. I have to do a big game download of 80 or more GB to break that 150 mark.

https://www.itproportal.com/2015/08/02/how-to-stop-windows-10-using-your-internet-connection-to-shar...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
That's all true. For one or two users it us very hard to eat through 150GB. I am on Freedom now (thank goodness) and all my streaming is 1080p. Even at 40 hours of streaming a month at that level my total usage is 60 - 70GB per month.
Photo of Larry Forehand

Larry Forehand

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Thank you Bev. I do not mean to be snarky or disrespectful, but I can not buy that it is all "updates" that I have not turned off. When I first became an exede customer we purchased the 25g level and it was gone in 1 to 2 days. Now we have "unlimited" and it is gone in 4 days.  As I said, I have removed all devices (except one directv receiver which can not stream (DirecTv says they require 3mps service minimum), and the TV which, as I said, we might view streaming content, as you, six or eight hours per week and still I spend 26 out of 30 days per month with service measured in kbps. If you feel strongly that you are correct, perhaps installers and the tech staff should caution all customers to NEVER allow backups or software updates while they are Excede customers. I have done all the things I feel a prudent customer should do (including disconnecting almost everything from my $150 per month service). I plan to tell my experience to anyone who asks, while I evaluate alternative service.

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Direct TV can still record ON DEMAND if it's connected to the internet and, if you set a series to record all episodes, not just first run on a specific channel, it will do just that.

Mine did when I had a business plan, my hubby set it to record all episodes of a show he likes without asking me to make sure it was right. It recorded ALL 231 episodes of the half hour show, including on demand, all in HD. Result - a $300.00+ bill that month. (business accounts automatically buy more data rather than slow you down.)

I allow updates to 2 computers and 2 i Phones. NO CLOUD USAGE on any device. NO UPLOADING updates. 8-8 hrs per weak streaming at 480, maybe 2 hours of HD via On Demand, buffered and recorded to watch later (which it does due to slow speeds.) That's about 70 GB per month.

Now online backups will kill the data, simply don't do that. Find a better option. Back up mobile phones to the paired computer in your home ONLY, get a backup drive or a MyCloud server to connect to your home network so backups only go there, not over the internet, something like that for data backups.

150 GB, that's about 300 hours of SD video, be that streamed or downloaded, that is a lot of data.

Email viasatlistens@viasat.com and request a usage review. They can tell you what your data is being used for better, no perfect, but it will give you a good idea of where to look for the excess usage.

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Larry disconnect your directtv box from any wired and wireless connections at the before the start of the your monthly service (the date the bill is do usually) and turn off your OS updates and see if there's any major difference. It's very unlikely your OS updates but do this and see if there's a change. Also do you have your router secured and are their any neighbors close by?

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Larry disconnect your directtv box from any wired and wireless connections at the before the start of the your monthly service (the date the bill is do usually) and turn off your OS updates and see if there's any major difference. It's very unlikely your OS updates but do this and see if there's a change. Also do you have your router secured and are their any neighbors close by?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
As noted by Bev, request a usage review. That may provide some minimal insight into the where data is going but not how - it's more of a general, categorized breakdown of data usage, but can provide some hints. It's all guesswork with that categorization and some guesses are better than others.

As Ron suggests, it'll likely require some sleuthing of your own to determine how and what's going through a process of elimination and ruling out the usual culprits systematically. Ruling out DirecTV and verifying your network is secure are the two easiest things to do. The latter would include the Viasat (Exede) WiFi modem as well as what appears to be the Linksys device.  

With those two things out of the picture, your best bet would probably be installing a robuist traffic monitoring and analysis application on Server 2008 - however your choices may be limited. Similarly, don't rule out the possibility that it's malware despite what your current anti-virus says - get a second opinion from another anti-malware product. Anything's possible - so many variables, so little time.   

SInce you're apparently only using Windows Server 2008 from your answer above, any Windows 10 specific suggestions aren't going to be applicable since you're closer to the suggestions that would be used for Windows 7 if Server 2008 R2 or even Vista if the standard Server 2008.
(Edited)
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Cloud backup is COMPLETELY inadvisable over any metered connection, including satellite.

Note: I am a professional programmer with a specialty in large data sets.
Photo of Larry Forehand

Larry Forehand

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Again, thanks to all for trying to help. I have asked tech support for advice, the canned answer is always the same: "You appear to have many updates and videos". I think if I told them I ran over my modem with a truck, the answer would be "you appear to have many updates and videos". I did not mean to take up so much forum space with my problem, I started by just relating my experience. I am still flabbergasted that two 60+ year olds would spend 4 days with speeds of 8 to 12 mbs, then be relegated to 26 days of less than 500kbps. It would seem that a young family with say a live teenager would measure their unthrottled availability in minutes.  But as the younger generation says "it is what it is". Thanks, again, to the forum membership.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That's what the community is here for, customer-to-customer advice and suggestions.

Contrary to what many believe, Viasat doesn;t really have detailed statistics regarding how our data is used. In most cases, they only have access to metadata which is subject to interpretation. That's why you get the generic categorizations of data such as updates, videos, etc. Even then some of those categorizations are wrong (by all accounts posted here) leading to further confusion.

Most of us use a trust but verify approach - trusting the raw usage counts but verifying independent either using traffic analysis features within our own third party routers or by installing traffic montoring applications on each of our devices (or a combination of both). I'd also suggest most find that the usage counts are accurate - although exceptions do exist due to equipment issues or the like.

It's when we find our own discrepancy that we reach out for an explanation and web sites and applications are constantly evolving in how the misuse or in some cases abuse our data.

Viasat really only knows how much data you use and when it was reported - they no very little if anything about what's actually using it. This is not to say they couldn't but woulkd simply prefer not to open the privacy can of worms.

If you want some recommendations for a better router (that appears to be an extender) that will track and allow you to better analyze your data usage independently.ust ask - numerous recommendations will be forthcoming I'm sure, but for my money Asus trouter having the Traffic Analyzer feature are best for that. That would also include any of the Asus models which can be extended to provide that feature through the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware:

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about  

Other recommendations will surely follow... it is what it is only if you let it be that. 
(Edited)
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Corey - Sounds like you have probably already done your research, but have you investigated to see if anything else (ISP-wise) is available in your area?  Around me they have several fixed wireless providers (WISPs) that if you have good line of sight you can get as much as 10 mbps down, and unlimited as well, for a reasonable price.  Unfortunately we can't use them because our place is at the bottom of a hill with lots of trees so we can't get LOS to the towers.

In addition, With any Satnet you are going to have around 600 ms of latency that will never improve.

Basically, If you go in with your eyes open, and with expectations managed, Viasat is a good option, and hands down the best Satnet ISP available.  Subscribe now and get the Gold plan (which allows 720p video) or wait and get a Viasat 2 plan. If the 4g cellular network plan is the best you've found up to now, you will not regret signing up with Viasat.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
John, where I'm at nothing else is offered. When I originally bought the property we living on now ATT dsl at 1.5 Mbps was offered but no longer is available. I've been limping along with LTE but since I have both weak signal and the tower I'm on can get congested well the experience isn't the greatest sometimes. I actually work in IT so I understand all about the latency and how it will effect things. So it looks like I will be waiting for Viasat-2 and see what it has to offer.
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Sounds like we're in the same boat.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
It sure does. Hopefully the wait won't be long.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Just remember They oversold their bandwidth before! What makes you think they won't now?  Now all y'all get off my satellite and it won't be congested here either!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "Just remember They oversold their bandwidth before"

Viasat wanted a toe-hold on commercial aircraft business; dammed if don't....millions and millions of lost revenue.  Once VS-2 is up/running, Viasat will be transferring over these aircraft and government accounts to VS-2.  Speeds will increase in time on VS1, Anik-F2, and WB-1, for those on affected beams used via aircraft.

My beam has been shut down for new accounts for several years.  Here is a post on this topic, 2014-Jan-24, "Due to strong demand, new installations in your area have been suspended. "  And next poster responded, "Yep, been that way for a couple years, since a couple months or so after Exede service was offered here, in this and surrounding zipcodes." [RE: Beverly Hills, CA]

Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
I know there are beams that are extremely congested, I am fortunate that mine is underpopulated so speed has never been a problem. The amount of data has been for me. I very seldom stream but I do upload and download large files. So if takes 1 hour or 1 week I don't really care. I set it and forget it. I do feel the pain of gamers and people who stream.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "...there are beams that are extremely congested..."

Those beams were never intentionally overfilled when consumers came onboard, as Hughes does today, and in years past

Viasat needed to get a toe-hold on aircraft business....or loose out on a great opportunity.  Dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't.

Many beams in populated areas where aircraft fly over have been closed to new accounts, for a number of years.

"Aviation and government connectivity are expected to take a larger role on ViaSat-2"
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Kinda makes me wonder if user experience on Viasat-2 will degrade quickly but Viasat-1 improve quite a bit.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
In the beginning you will get more than what you are paying for. Over time, yes it will degrade but not like Viasat 1 did.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "...makes me wonder if user experience..."

May. 21, 2010 - ViaSat To Reposition WildBlue as Higher-end Service Offering

This goal was given after Viasat bought Wildblue.  Previous Wildblue owners (investors) had stuffed the beams, just like Hughes had done, and does today.

As noted in article,

"Satellite broadband hardware and services provider ViaSat Inc. told investors it will not systematically replace subscribers leaving the WildBlue consumer broadband service in certain densely populated regions of the United States, but instead will reposition WildBlue as a higher-quality service as it prepares for a big satellite scheduled for launch in 2011.

ViaSat Chief Executive Mark D. Dankberg in the past has criticized consumer broadband efforts for short-term thinking, saying they have tried to stuff as many subscribers as possible onto a given amount of satellite bandwidth, often resulting in mediocre service."

New accounts were not possible in those stuffed beams.

But by  Jan. 15, 2014, Viasat wanted to expand in a business model (Yonder) they had built up in previous years.  They had expected VS-2 to be operational in 2016, and had made plans, signed contracts, etc. with this date in mind. "ViaSat-2 is scheduled for launch in mid-2016."

Viasat has been proactive in transferring aircraft over to VS-2: "ViaSat also says its initial next-generation mobile terminals have shipped and have been installed on customer aircraft."  So, once these aircraft are transferred over to VS-2, then those beams used on VS-1 will have more bandwidth for users.

RE: "...makes me wonder if user experience..."

Yes, users' experiences on VS-1, Anik-F2, and WB-1 birds will have better experiences on affected beams after aircraft and government accounts are transferred over to VS-2.  Will they see 12/25 Mbps during primetime...fat chance....with shared bandwidth, I'm not aware of one populated ISP that can deliver full speed ahead during prime-time.

If a person lives in non-concentrated population areas, these users on Viasat or Hughes may/will have better service than those living in concentrated population areas.  But, for those users in concentrated areas with congested beams, Viasat will have better service after this transition, and Hughes users will complain.

This map applies to Hughes and Viasat customers...so  in beams located in dark areas, I seldom hear of complaints for Hughes or Viasat users. As Viasat has indicated, they plan to offer a Higher-end Service, and with VS-2, this is possible.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
From the map I may or may not be in the white area. I've been watching exede for a year or so and they did offer the freedom plan right up to the time that the unlimited plans came out so it makes me think I'm not on a crowded beam on Viasat-1.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
What beam might one be on?  Click on image.

Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Is there a Beam map viasat 2
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Pretty sure its Beam 327
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Beam 327 - I would suspect using VS-2 might be a better option.  If you had indicated 358 or 364, I would say that's OK.

Beam map viasat 2 - Viasat, last I knew, does not plan on releasing this map.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yeah, If i new someone local using it I could ask but I don't know of anyone.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
327 I think is a pretty congested beam.

I am sure the Viasat-2 beam map will be tightly guarded, for certain reasons. Now, will it leak out? Time will tell.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "Yeah, If i new someone..."

Hello......VS-2....

How many miles do you live from Lexington, KY, or Harrisonburg, VA?  If nearby, VS-2 might be operational...otherwise, wait.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
A little over 200 miles south of Lexington. Just checked and the best I can get is the "UNLIMITED GOLD 30 + WIFI" plan at the moment. So thats a VS-1 plan.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Wait until Viasat announces VS2 is fully operational....end of this month they say.

Looking to the east from your location, are there trees in the way?  On a compass, this would be 163 degree mark.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yes, I have trees but I think that elevation degree is high enough to clear them. If it was in the 30s I'd be concerned.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Corey Anderson, I’m Dan. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I can also help get your service setup and priority installation appointment when you are ready.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Techsavvy, can you tell this forum who you are and how you can do that for this person please?
(Edited)
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m an authorized dealer for Viasat, I’ve been with them since vs1 began. I can setup accounts and schedule anywhere in the USA, it’s what I do.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
And how are these people suppose to contact you from this forum when they are anonymous to everyone?  And does Viasat know you set up anyone's service from anywhere in the country?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

Since Viasat-1 went into service?  and you just now came here to drum-up business??  How would you make contact with perspective clients?  That would require people supplying you with personally identifiable information over the Internet, a dangerous thing to do.

I wouldn't ask you to provide such information here to give your story credibility but I will ask you to send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com identifying yourself and your credentials so they can come here and inform us of your your status.  For now, you are suspicious until we are assured by Viasat that  you are are genuine.

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Really don't see why going thru him is even a good idea.  Contact your LOCAL dealer and do things up front and not shady looking like this.  My guess is he will be banned from the forum by the Mods.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

I agree...  Installs have a 90 day warrantee,  so if the install "goes south" it may be neglected for quite some time by that guy, logistics and all....  A local dealer comes right back and says.. oops, and fixes any install problem.

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Of course we will have to wait for the Mods to weigh in after their weekend coffee break.  :)  But we can handle things until then.....
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I have a soon to be local dealer that I will go through just to be safe. Plus I like helping local businesses when I can.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
My guess is this guy wants to get a referral fee from local dealers for bringing in new customers.  But that's my opinion.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: this guy

Is there a way to text message others on this forum?
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don’t see anywhere that says I can’t offer to sell here on our forum. Techsavvy is my dealership name and I am based in Northern California. I found this forum yesterday and noticed our customers have questions and want service. Nothing shady about chatting customers in online forums, it’s called social media marketing.

Going with a local dealership is what has kept me in business, but I also do national sales when the opportunity presents itself.
Vs2 is a great opportunity for me to do more sales and keep myself out of the field doing installations, as I have a back injury. I was a corporate fulfillment installer for 4 years before starting my local business.

If you order online or through a national sales person such as myself, you get a local certified installer with LOTS of experience. I have personally installed over 1000 exede systems and 3000 other satellite systems. I know everything there is to know about it. I don’t know many local dealers doing 500+ installs a year. My corporate installation network has been the backbone of our industry for many years.
It’s our customers choice who they choose to do business with, I only do my best for my customers, my company and my family.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

@  Jim16, Champion,
My guess is this guy wants to get a referral fee from local dealers for bringing in new customers.  But that's my opinion.
Please pick my lottery numbers for me.   :o)

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

@  Jim16, Champion,
Please pick my lottery numbers for me.   :o)

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
I'm getting closer to what causes the double-post... One more and I might have it nailed....
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Yup... Don't click the Submit button and slide off of it until it post.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
Can I have a commission for everyone I refer to Viasat?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
He will be banned, guaranteed.  "Vs2 is a great opportunity for me to do more sales and keep myself out of the field doing installations, as I have a back injury. "

He's going to sit on his couch and try to weasel customers away from other dealers.  Nice.  Again, how in the helll is he going to get peoples information on this forum?  And he just found it the other day?  Do you really want to trust a "National Viasat dealer" who has never heard of this Viasat forum?  I think not.  Man, I love this forum!  Never know when weird and unbelievable things are going to come out from under a rock. Of course, this is my opinion. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"Can I have a commission for everyone I refer to Viasat?"

Umm, Stephen, you might make more money if you got a commission for making people run away from Viasat....:)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
I thought it was funny how he bragged about the quality of his installs and in the same statement said that selling service will help him not have to go out into the field to do installs.

Interesting how he has a thousand nstalls under his belt and is just now finding out about the website.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
No thank you Mr Techsavvy.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
I just looked at his Facebook. Interesting how he is too lazy to change his Facebook image from an Exede background to Viasat.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

Ummm... Jim....  He originally said:
I’m an authorized dealer for Viasat, I’ve been with them since vs1 began.
Now it has changed to just 4 years...  Hmmmm... something more just not right here....

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

Ummm... Jim....  He originally said:
I’m an authorized dealer for Viasat, I’ve been with them since vs1 began.
Now it has changed to just 4 years...  Hmmmm... something more just not right here....

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Awww crud...  I moved the mouse....   :o(
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Oh, he will be banned real good.  Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.  You will be a fart in the wind as soon as Brad or Matt B gets done with their double latte frapachino mocha delight. 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
There's one visitors post from 2016, and its from him.  I smell scam 'til the cows come home.  ( or is it just the cows?)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
This is what's wrong with Viasat. People who can't even tell consistent lies are paid c omissions to sign people up.

I'm all for signing people up. It's good for revenue. But I'm even more in favor of people knowing what they are committing to.

Happy customers know what to expect when they sign up. Unhappy customers are the ones who were lied to and it isn't the customers fault.

I cringe when I see people on Facebook offering unlimited Viasat Internet for $50 a month.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
They can't monitor every dealer, and I bet Viasat voids more contract then we think because of this.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m starting to wonder why you guys are on this forum. Answering back all the disbelief about my dealership would take a book. Makes me suspicious about your intentions towards Viasat.

I’m not promoting currently using my Facebook, once the new plans are released is when I update and advertise again.
As for referrals, you refer someone to contact me and I sale them our service. I typically give one $20 Amazon gift card to my customer and one to the person who they refer. That’s my typical referral unless you have a business of sales and intend to market under contract.

No need to continue wasting my time if you are not interested in our service, I am here to help people who need internet service.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"I’m not promoting currently using my Facebook"
Why the heck then did you post your facebook link on this forum then? 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
This is not right Matt B.  "$20 Amazon gift card to my customer and one to the person who they refer."
(Edited)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 992 Posts
  • 493 Reply Likes
I'm in agreement with Jim16.  Techsavvy, please do not advertise or attempt to get referrals here.  The post linking to your facebook is being removed.  I'd hate it if your account were to be banned for doing that.

Again, if you want to be a part of the community, please do!  But do not attempt to sell (in any form) through this forum.  We don't want potential customers looking for information to feel that they are being perused by dealers or salespeople.  

An aside, using my old and underused Installer Relations and Partner Support powers, I can confirm techsavvy is a self installing dealer who has been around for a while.  (techsavvy, that means that yeah, we've probably spoken on the phone at some point over the past four years)
(Edited)
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No problem Matt B, I saw potential customers looking for answers and planning to buy our service so I tried to assist and get paid for doing so. As much as I like to help people, the best way for me to do that is to contact them and consult about our service. It’s more direct than a simple question/answer format, I admit, but that’s ultimately what we want our customers to do. To talk to a representative and subscribe.
Feel free to delete the link, or my account here. I think I don’t really want to associate myself with this forum. Mostly it’s Jim bashing Viasat, being that Viasat is my only business, I take real offense to what he has to say.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
The entire Viasat community thanks you Matt B.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
I'm not here to bash Viasat. In fact, I'm a huge fan.

I'm here to have fun and help people understand how these plans work.  I even published a document on how people can time-shift Netflix usage with a Playon/Plex server.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Thank you Matt. Whatever dealers and installers want to do for promos is fine but, not here, don't need everyone asking why their installer/dealer or Viasat doesn't offer referral bonuses like that. Besides, when a beam is full, that would eliminate customers there getting referral bonuses.

@Stephen & Jim, I know you guys aren't here to bash Viasat, like me you are fans of your service and, have learned how to work with it and, make the most of what you have and, like me, you call it how you see it. I think most of us have, at one time or another posted problems we've had with Viasat. Some of them with a laugh, when we know it's just the computers over there being far dumber that the humans operating them r, we recognize it as one of those silly traffic shaper imperfections or some such annoyance. :)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Bev, that is the #1 issue that Viasat has to deal with.  People who have zero idea about the equipment they are using on the internet.  Talking speakers, video cameras that connect to the cloud, door bells that record video.... children inviting friends over to use mom and dads "free" wi-fi.  There are real problems that happen with Viasat, modem, dish align, but the over whelming issues are user errors and the people who refuse to admit it is their issue, not Viasat's. And that will never change.
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I have been an Exede customer for nearly five years.  Speed was initially not bad.  For the past month, I haven't seen much above 1 Mbps download speed.  I call customer "service" and am told to reset the modem.  That does nothing, and they know it.  The problem is they sold too many subscriptions on their system and they don't have the bandwidth to deliver what they have promised. Bad business.  You would be better off to stay with your AT&T LTE service.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yes Lte is. Better option
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
This is what I get right now at 6:20 on LTE.
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Your LTE is faster than my Exede.  About three times as fast, in fact.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
4.2 mbps for me right now on Liberty 12.  Now if you would excuse me, I've got a sofa and some movies to go watch.

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
You have fun watching that sofa (:
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I think with viasat 2 I will be able to do better at this time of night.

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
I have the Freedom 150 GB - 12 Mbps plan. Earlier today I was getting 18.2 Mbps, now at 6:40 p.m., it is down to 13.8. No complaints here.