Is it true that Fredom 150 customers will have a lower priority to faster download speeds as new products are rolled out?

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
I was told I must drop my Fredom 150 package and sign up for a new smaller package to continue with my current download/upload speeds. IS THIS FOR REAL??
Photo of Phil Kurtz

Phil Kurtz

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • angry

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Yes. It’s already happened.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Terry Hill suggests - My speeds while on Liberty pass have improved and working as intended now. Just want to be fair and honest in my tests as of late. I can deal with the speeds I get now and for the price I can't let it go, I

Wait a few more days, and report your experiences...they may have updated
Photo of Phil Kurtz

Phil Kurtz

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
5.6 down and 1.2 up...used to be 12.0 down all day long
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Then Bandwidth Usage Policy for Freedom subscribers changed on January 15:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/bandwidth-usage-policy.pdf

See the third question and answer from the bottom for what's going on. It's been a topic of hot debate since it started to kick in. The official response is at:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/automatic-throttling?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by...

(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm on the Freedom plan and I'm sticking with it. My speeds haven't changed much since the new policy except for being quite a bit slower during primetime.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Try absolute ZERO on a beam (369) that is not congested in the least.  My speed is throttled because a simple de-prioritization would do nothing.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@J&J

Apparently, your gateway is located in Honolulu, HI....unless there is a big server farm there, your packets are sent back to mainland; and I suppose, undersea cable operators want a piece of that action.

Internet Service Providers in Hawaii

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I would kill for soeeds like you are getting Phil, even now.

With the new rules in place on stuffed beams, I am lucky to get over 500kbps during primetime.

I am like FMJ. Not giving up my Freedom plan for another plan. Probably will give up Viasat though.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

I'm in the mountains above Silicon Valley.

I do not suspect a bad sea-cable, or it would never work and a lot of other companies on the same cable would be out too.  There are many, but I isolated the ones ViaSat uses.

Here is how ViaSat gets from Hawaii to near Portland or S. Calif:

Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Phil, My speeds on the Freedom 150 plan were very good for years, 20 mbps was common, all day and night. Now, since the. “Plan Policy Update”, I see 1.50 mbps every evening after 6:00PM, and all weekend long, day and night. They are throttling our speed on purpose as they have oversold data on their satellites. They are picking on older plans, trying to save room for their existing and new customers on more expensive plans. They are robbing us to try to balance their service to others. Customer satisfaction is not their concern.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
They are throttling our speed on purpose as they have oversold data on their satellites.

(My emphasis) 
They are throttling our speeds as de-prioritizing won't work in many areas.

About over-selling:
This is true only in some locations.  There is a far more sinister purpose in what they are doing.  The "congestion" excuse for poor service always worked out well for ViaSat, and people had better be getting ready to hear that a lot more in the near future.  Residential customers are seen as no better than mice in the food pantry to ViaSat.