Is it me or has Customer Service gotten incredibly slow?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • (Edited)
I have needed to call customer service this week and haven't called them for several months.  But in the few times i've called lately i've noticed how incredibly slow and tedious the calls are. It didn't used to be like this.  They ask for a phone number and then wait, then you say you want to change the email and it takes like 5 minutes.  So I finally said, "you know i don't mean to be rude but why is it that every time I give you information it's like 3-5 minutes later that something is happening?"   She goes, " well we have a new system and this system basically treats every comment or request like a full case.  So in order to change  your email, i have to open up a case, type your name, your number, accurately label the case and then write a small paragraph about what I did and that doesn't even include fixing  your problem. "  She goes on,"then we have to ask you about Easy Care, whether or not you have a log in for the website, maybe even assign a passcode if you don't have one and so for every single one of those things i have to open up a new case and close it while you're on the phone."   I'm like, my Lord, why??   She goes, "i actually have no idea, but if we don't we get marked down for every little mistake or wrong word we say."  So that explains the scripts!   I actually felt sorry for the girl having to do that for every call.   She also said that the spiel they say at the end, when I'm trying to get off the phone, she says, "if we don't read that verbatim the entire call is a ZERO."   Good God!   Well that explains why these calls are taking forever, it makes me not want to call and only call as a last resort if i can't figure it out via the website or the app - OMG!   THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT - THEY ARE DOING THIS ON PURPOSE!!!??   HOLY CRAP!   Well, i've heard it all now - slow, tedious customer service on purpose so you WON'T call the live agent.  Live agents cost them money.   Wow, a new low.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3482 Posts
  • 1306 Reply Likes
Not to give too much of a peek behind the curtain but we did update our customer management system relatively recently so there may still be a little getting used to it which would explain some of that agent's comments regarding cases and procedure. For what it's worth though, it keeps a lot more of the company departments on the same page which will make things falling between the cracks A LOT harder. So I think that particular person might just be still getting used to it. 

As for the rest, the scripting and whatnot are dependent on that call. Like all customer service departments agents are monitored for quality assurance which means calls are pulled and we make sure they are giving accurate information and following protocol.  In situations like a service call order, a change in plans, and disconnections we do have approved scripting that must be read as it covers things that could potentially cause confusion or frustration if not explained (ie changing plans will affect your price...should be a given but you'd be surprised), final billing and arrangements during a disconnect (again ditto...had a few people feel that to "cancel" they simply had to unplug the modem...doesn't work like that). So it's all to better serve in the big picture. I think in this case the agent just got a little chummy and went over the day to day stuff which is pretty standard across the board (I've been with a satellite TV company, Cable company and then here and it's been pretty similar) 

Again that's pretty unanimous across the board which is probably 95% why I personally prefer to figure it out on my own when it comes to issues with like my Amazon orders, TV provider, etc. 
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
So Viasat doesn't necessarily care what the agents say, as long as it is correct.  Yeah, that's pretty normal and new systems always take time.  Thanks for the response.