is exede IPv6 ready?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

As title says is exede IPv6 ready or is it only IPv4? If the later could you tell me when exede will be ipv6 ready?
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
What is this?
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
IPv6 or Internet protocol version 6 is a new from of addressing.  Basically every device that has an internet connection has an IP address.  Basically a number to identify it on the network so data knows where to go.  v6 replaces the current v4 because world wide as more and more countries and people get on the internet the number of address in version 4 are running out.  So they had to come up with a new addressing scheme to solve that problem.  For the most part you will never know the difference.  Only ones that are really using IPv6 are your internet service providers.  As far as businesses go or for in your house you will most likely still use version 4 for a long time.  For a more detailed description you can go here
(Edited)
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
That does not give me an answer to this question. Could a mod come on here and answer this question....????
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Why are you worried about them having IPv6 addresses?
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Knight -

Why does it matter why? I too would like to know just for the sake of knowing. Sooner or later there may be an instance where we will want to use it and it would be good to know if / when this will be in place with exede.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Haha I wasn't trying to be mean there was just wondering why the inquiry in to it is all
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I still want a mod or alex to answer this. Also I do not want this marks as solved or other wise until ones of those answer this.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
http://test-ipv6.com/

does not appear so yet. 
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Yea I ran it from my wireless and got the same result that I don't have an ipv6 address then ran it from my cell phone and it came back that I have a IPv6 address and everything was green checks. So it appears Verizon is pushing out IPv6 address but ViaSat is not as of yet
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would like to know myself - and here is why...

While increasing the pool of addresses is one of the most often-talked about benefit of IPv6, there are other important technological changes in IPv6 that will improve the IP protocol:
- No more NAT (Network Address Translation)
- Auto-configuration
- No more private address collisions
- Better multicast routing
- Simpler header format
- Simplified, more efficient routing
- True quality of service (QoS), also called "flow labeling"
- Built-in authentication and privacy support
- Flexible options and extensions
- Easier administration (say good-bye to DHCP)
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Official Response
migration to IPv6 is underway but probably at least a year away.
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
thank you @Exede/Alex for your reply. I would think exede would have been working on this way before now...
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 214 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update on this, I was curious myself about it since, as Thorneo mentioned, we officially ran out of IPv4 address in the US within the past week or so...
(Edited)
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.