Is .33 Mbps what I can continue to expect?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
We had our Viasat internet installed today here in NC.  It was the only internet option other than our AT&T Unite.  I signed the typical 2 year agreement because I needed something better than the AT&T hot spot.  We use that data up in the first week and sometimes if can be very slow, but compared to the speeds I'm seeing now with my brand new ViaSat service I think I may have been conned.  I'm over 90GB with my AT&T hot spot and it is 20 times faster than this satellite connection.  I don't understand.  I've used less than .5 GB of data and it's so slow, it's almost not worth bothering with.  It's slower than when AT&T throttles me.  Is this normal???
Photo of M Emaus

M Emaus

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 857 Posts
  • 442 Reply Likes
M Emaus,

I'm not sure why it'd be that slow immediately.  I'd like to take a look at your account and see what's going on.  Please email us with your account number or phone number to ViasatListens@viasat.com.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
North Carolina mountains tend to be slow lately.
Photo of M Emaus

M Emaus

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Account number sent.

Bradley, that slow?  Really?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Prime time has been less than 2 Mbps lately. Sometimes sub 1.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3615 Posts
  • 2110 Reply Likes
I average 500kbps during primetime the last several weeks. The speed of the beams in Appalachia during primetime have been really bad lately.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

Viasat isn't really all that bad.  In a world of comparisons, here's one that would make Viasat shine...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8248056.stm

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
I miss my old pigeon sometimes.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
No Viasat really IS that bad, I'm on the west coast and during the evening it's totally CONGESTED, worthless! Viasat will still sell you a plan though!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Considering that Viasat's upload speeds are usually pretty good, I bet it would beat the pigeon and South Africa's ADSL.
Photo of M Emaus

M Emaus

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did get a reply from ViaSat and yes they confirmed I really should expect it to be that bad.  Was basically told that if no one else uses the satellite I should get around 19 Mbps, but since I'm assigned a beam that is near capacity I should continue to expect speeds slower that my throttled hot spot connection.  I think it was also implied that if I just stopped using the internet when I needed it and stopped using so much of my free time for things like sleep I'd get much better speeds.  Here's hoping they get the bugs worked out of the Viasat 2 satellite soon....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3556 Posts
  • 2073 Reply Likes
Based on your location, that sounds like an accurate answer.

As far as the Viasat-2 rollout, Viasat-1 didn't rollout this slow, so there has to be issues going on.
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 70 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I would question why it was sold to you then if its at capacity and thats the kind of performance you get , 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2265 Posts
  • 1126 Reply Likes
I am paying for speeds up to 12 mbps. I always get speeds beyond 12 mbps after midnight.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
So since my speeds have mostly been slow lately, and I’ve been vocal about it...It’s only fair to call both sides. Tonight has been as fast as I’ve seen in months. No idea why.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2265 Posts
  • 1126 Reply Likes
It makes perfect sense, providing you still have priority data left for the rest of the month.

As people use up their priority data, things get faster for those of us that still have data left. My service is always faster towards the end of the month.

Don't worry, the first of the month is almost here. People will be getting their food stamps soon and there will be a crowd at Piggly Wiggly once more.

I noticed the same thing when I used to play bingo. Everyone got their welfare checks on the first of the month. The first bingo night after welfare day was always the busiest. The crowd would always get smaller and smaller as it got farther in the month. Then the 1st would come along and BAM! All of a sudden people had money to play bingo again.

I always prefered to play bingo towards the end of the month because of this. Less people at the bingo hall meant greater odds of winning.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
While I don’t doubt you have the greatest BINGO strategy one could conjure, your surmise of how data plans work is wrong. You’re assuming we all have the same billing reset. Those dates are staggered. At any given time someone is running out and someone has just been reset. Doesn’t make it necessarily faster for anyone. Maybe two people get online at the exact time someone runs out of priority data. By logical flow, speeds would slow for everyone.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2265 Posts
  • 1126 Reply Likes
B4! That's my bingo strategy.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Always preferred blackout.