IP address for viasat-2 modems

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am not able to release and renew a IP address on the VS-2 modem, it stays the same.
My question is,"Do they have a static IP address?" If so I want to setup several IP Cameras to view remotely. I tried that with VS-1 but every time I got it working the damn IP would change and I was always out of town at the time and couldn't fix it.

Anyone know about this?
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 148 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
Residential plans do not have static IP addresses, they change randomly, no control over them on the subscribers end. Business plans have a semi static IP addresses, but these do change on occasion too.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Dave, you probably want to look into a free dynamic DNS service - somebody may have a recommendation - no-ip.com comes to mind but know nothing about it's reputation.
Photo of 1blackf0x

1blackf0x

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Definitely agree with the free DDNS service for this. I have several residential accounts that all change IP **frequently**. Business acct comes with "Persistent" IP, which is close to Static. The addresses are handed out with DHCP and require constant renewals, just like any other DHCP allocated address, and will persist for ~ 14 days (ie. as long as registered MAC address reconnects within that 14 day period the same IP will be handed back out). On my business account, which has up to 3 persistent IP's of which I'm using 2, I have had the same address for over 5 years now.