Internet speeds to console feel throttled to death.

• Problem
  • Updated 13 hours ago
  • Acknowledged
So as of this week I have been having issues with my Xbox One downloading anything whether it be a full game download or even an update.  The speed test from it's network tab gives me a reading of 0.00 kbps down and 2.07 up.  At first i was content to throw it off as another 'it's just Xbox thing.' now my PS4 is also having issues downloading updates and games when I know clearly that that shouldn't be the case.

My plan is the what use to be the exede 15GB with free zone 12am-5am and I just spent three(technically six as constantly got rained out) days downloading the game Division 2. I have also spent the past few days running updates on phones and tablets as I was behind on most of these having fallen asleep before the free zone most other days.  The game now has a new update and while trying to download 1.150 GB the download is now taking half a day.  The original game was 110 GB and took 3 days so I know this isn't right.  I have called tech support and they could not figure out what is going on and so far my digging around other game sites and reddit has turned up nothing like my issue.   What is going on here.  Is data being throttled from the gaming servers or what.  I need answers because this wasn't an issue until today.
Photo of Simon R. Rhodes III

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
https://corpblog.viasat.com/covid-network/

Your gaming and entertainment needs are low priority now. Other subscribers have more important needs. Viasat is doing something about it now appears - finally. Those measures are likely causing more free zone usage - unusable free zone isn't new to those of us who've been around a while - when something's free you tend not to be able to make enough of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Viasat is also giving priority to edu domains regardless of cap, usage thresholds or time of day while also throttling gaming and entertainment sites - if not maybe they should.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
When they make something a low priority, they must REALLY make it a low priority!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
That's how prioritization works... isn't that why you left? You're at the end of the line and the bouncer keeps letting others in first - grease his palm if not one of the beutiful people!
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
That is indeed why I left. And I don't miss satellite internet one bit. Could always hope for something better than I got now though.

I am thinking after all this blows over, it will be realized how woefully inadequate our internet infrastructure is and real improvements might be coming.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
I'm hopeful that once this blows over some people will wake up and realize how ill-prepared they are for an emergency - my parents/grandparents lived through the Great Depression and impressed upon me the need to "save for a rainy day".
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
I guarantee that isn't happening. Not in society today.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
You betcha - I'm waiting on my $1200 rather than being self-reliant. Those who followed that philosophy are the chumps now!

Mines actually earmarked for an organization that can use it.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
I don't get any anyhow, but I agree. Donate it to an organization that can use it is a great idea!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1542 Reply Likes
People are dying and someone has the nerve to complain about how long it takes to download a 110 gb game on a 15 gb plan. Some people just aren’t meant to survive the zombie apocalypse.

Do you have other games? Play them instead.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
My Leisure Suit Larry disks are covered with some green mold of some kind (from my Caribbean days) - they are unreadable and the CLR didn't help them either.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
People die every day for various reasons. Today and tomorrow will be no different.

What I find interesting is that Viasat has essentially denied throttling particular site other than video streaming services for years. Now we see they can and do throttle at will. Not necessarily a bad thing in emergencies . I guess net neutrality ending has its uses.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
People die every day for various reasons. Today and tomorrow will be no different.

What I find interesting is that Viasat has essentially denied throttling particular site other than video streaming services for years. Now we see they can and do throttle at will. Not necessarily a bad thing in emergencies . I guess net neutrality ending has its uses.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
They've never denied prioritization however and for all intents and purposes its the same when the spit hits the fan.

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
First let me state that I'm upset that my internet was throttled or prioritized without warning before hand. As when I posted this I spent an hour on a call with a tech to no avail. They hadn't sent an e-mail, text or displayed it in the app.  So I'm stumped as how I should have known when they didn't even make sure I knew.

Second to take my late night free zone and throttle it to he'll is even more grounds for me to be upset. I am not getting what I paid for and they told me in my signing of the contract to save my heavy lifting for that time.

Third I'm not complaining about the time it took me to download the 110 GB I'm complaining about the time it was going to take me to download literally 10x less than that I'm the same amount of time. That is just disgusting and completely unfair in all regards. What kids are up at 12 at night doing schoolwork? What businesses are up at 12 considering all stores have reduced hours?

Finally I am not a kid I'm 34 years old and I expect to get my money worth of what I paying for. You can't just take and not give something in return. If you are going to prioritize me from gaming then you need to at the bare minimum offer other things such as removed throttle when accessing school material as I have 3 school age children and was forced to use a phone hotspot to let my son take a virtual field trip with his teacher as the speeds are garbage until they reset on the 4th.I

I'm so glad I didn't even come back after I posted this. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to type this as calmly as now due to how peeved I already was. To learn that what I and many others do to relax during this time has been completely sidelined with no lax to help us get by as even a 15 MB update took 15 mins taking me back to my dial up days of downloading music from Napster. I

By all means call it a first world problem but it's also a failure of our ISPS as a whole that our infrastructure isn't better. This wouldn't be such a problem in the first place if they invested better and did not overcrowded the beams. In the end the consumers have to suffer and people like you guys show up to us disgruntled customers and tell us to suck it up. Screw all of you who feel that way because at the end of the day .....honestly I dunno how to finish this without sounding petulant. I'll just end with my money paid for internet that I was supposed to be able to use EXACTLY for this very reason and now without net neutrality to back me up my internet has been restricted for a reason that is beyond my control and now I have to go out of my way to circumvent said restriction due to the throttle being overly severe. 20kb\sec !? I'm not looking forward to how this plays out and I'm for one going to try my damnedest to get to another provider as this is way too extreme.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Holy crap! You are one selfish person. You seem to care only about yourself. Satellite internet is extremely overburdened right now. There are first responders and teachers struggling with it's limitations, yet you are complaining to no end about not being able to download a huge video game. So you want bandwidth taken away from people with important jobs, so you can play video games? Even though you say you are in your 30's you are acting like a spoiled brat.

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Considering its my money that goes to paying for it I'm technically entitled to that sir. And Yes I am peeved because of how throttled it is not even really the fact that it is throttled. You can't do Jack with speeds that low and with such vague wording there will never be a time out data will be unthrottled. Trying to use first responders as a crutch doesn't change the narrative of what they've done it just you trying to paint me as a jerk.

PSN and Microsoft already lowered how fast you can download from their servers and Netflix also did similarly with streaming output. So I'm not taking this lying down it needs to be rolled back because as it is right now I can't play any game that comes out with an update that requires that update in order to login and play. Not will I or others be able to download things we preordered digitally. So cut the crap. My money paid for a service and it is not being delivered properly. Fix the speed issue and I and others will be out your hair. Until then we will continue to bring this up.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It's not 'just' console speeds. It's multiple gaming streaming services as well.
however, 20KB/s downloads? less than .02Mbps for anyone who needs the comparison... 
Viasat is definitely throttling speeds on game services and they deny it every single time you say anything, even with proof!

They will say obscure things such as 'we don't know what's going on, we'll send it to tier 2'
or 'everything looks fine on our end, it must be network congestion on your local network, do you have anyone else using your network unauthorized?!'

I want to make it clear that I live quite literally in the middle of 3 towns and 2 large cities, and by middle, I mean i live in a hole next to a river with so many trees around me that any other internet service is impossible to obtain (until starlink)
There's 0 possibility that someone is trekking a mile or more through the woods to setup a wifi connection on a network they 100% cannot even connect to as my router is setup to block connections and not even show the network for unallowed devices.

Yes, it's possible, but I invite anyone who wants to survey this hole in the ground and attempt to connect to my network to do so....

Regardless, millions of people are at home right now, most of them are watching videos, whether it be for school, or other reasons....

All i'm saying, is that this time will be remembered by 'loyal' customers. 
and then it will be forgotten when we all switch to starlink.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Go do something useful X and stop posting the same nonsense over and over in multiple threads.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It's relevant to the threads, unlike your 'nonsense'.

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Also why is network prioritization being implemented during the late night free zone!? After reading the article it said daytime and evening!? Why!?

“We’re here for our customers during this time,” Charteris said. “And we’re still allowing customers — even those who have exceeded their data cap or usage threshold, or those customers trying to download large games — the ability to get access to the network when it’s available; they just may experience reduced speeds during the network’s busiest times. But we are fully committed during this pandemic to keep our customers connected — now more than ever.”
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 654 Posts
  • 617 Reply Likes
The key there is "when available". As noted above folks are shifting usage to all hours of the day to find some available bandwidth. In the early days of Viasat when every plan had a free zone, it was common  for the first 2-3 hours to be unusable as everyone scheduled automatic downloads to occur once the bell rang. Prioritization occurs at any time. I used to work from home and had the luxury of shifting my usage to the middle of the night but was still impacted by the congestion that the lure of "free data" caused.
(Edited)

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yeah and with that vague wording that could result in never. I have a 2.8 GB download sitting on my PS4 right now. It's been running since last night throughout free zone and it hasn't even cleared 300 MB yet. When free zone show's up again I still will be waiting.

I had it then and really didn't mind it much as 2.8 mbps was enough to watch a video at decent 480 quality with no problem.

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Speeds were better tonight than they've been previously I clocked around 50-70kbps. Update still isn't halfway done. Geez get me closer to 1mbps. At least I could finally login without multiple interruptions tonight silver linings and all that.

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
So can we all agree that after this is over. Instead of buying back stocks we invest into real internet infrastructure changes so we don't have this problem again. I don't want to hear the words 'reliable' and 'best' in no one's commercial if they can only run at full power for 2 days before having to throttle to keep from breaking.
Photo of Brian

Brian

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
See if you can get your community leaders interested in the USDA Rural Broadband Initiative.  If not it may be up to your local provider to start the process.  Hound them as well.   Lots of loans and grants for building true terrestrial broadband infrastructures.  I see this happening all around me, even fiber just a few miles away.  I just happen to be in a narrow rural band that no one wants to touch even with lots of neighbors willing to pay. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 657 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
No, the only thing we can all agree on is to disagree. Now do as suggested and contact your leaders to lobby for better internet access - just leave out the gaming necessity part and focus on essential needs.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Lobbying isn't going to do any good where I am at, the dwellings are just too far apart. A lot of the area is owned by people who use the land to hunt only, no one cares about high speed internet in a deer stand.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 657 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Well at least you understand the problem and lobbying here won't do much good either.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian

Brian

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was starting to wonder if I was the only one having update problems beginning immediately with the strain from COVID.  Videos and Netflix (only) stream ok but any type of update from any system (PC/Xbox/iPhone/Android) refuses regardless of time of day.  I left an Xbox on 24/7 for nearly a week and it barely cleared 3GB.   I can understand the need for throttling but if I'm unable to use what I'm paying for at ANY time (even for a little bit here and there during early morning, off-peak times) then I think some type of a refund is in order. 

Also, please don't lie to me when I ask about throttling.  I contacted support last week before I saw any of these posts and explained my trouble was only when downloading updates.  I asked specifically about throttling and was told that wasn't an issue and, oh hey, have you rebooted your router yet? 

Luckily I work and game on (capped) Verizon hotspots at the moment and only need Exede for updates.  At least I know others are in the same boat.