Internet Outage 6/27

• Problem
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: The outage has passed.

No internet
Photo of Traci

Traci

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Jason Meador

Jason Meador

• 13 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I have been on hold now for two hours and twenty four minutes. I had to switch phones because the other handset ran out of battery.
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I was down too this morning.  Very weird. Modem pings were good. PC pings were good. But no access otherwise. I also tried calling customer support but decided it must be a major outage as I was told there was a large volume of calls and a 48 minute wait to talk to someone. I had to get ready for work so couldn't wait.

I am in Texas. Any new of a RFO?
Photo of Soapy Oaks Farm

Soapy Oaks Farm

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hopkins County Texas, Same issue here, only occasional connectivity and spotty at best.  tethered to phone now :(
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Howdy neighbor! Wood County.
Photo of Soapy Oaks Farm

Soapy Oaks Farm

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi John are you down too?
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I was at least between 4:00 and 7:40 this morning. And looking at the forum, looks like it may still be. Am at work now.
Photo of David Allen

David Allen

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm down in Florida.  Same deal - reboot and I have about 2 minutes then nothing but still have a blue light on the modem.
Photo of Roy R Pierson

Roy R Pierson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same here. I'm in SC and no service. Says I'm connected but can't do anything. I even did a system reset on my PC because it says I'm connected.
This is BS
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 128 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
We had storms go through yesterday along with heavy down pours in Wisconsin, near Mad city!
(Edited)
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I am down - looks like a DNS issue(?).  80452
Photo of Paul Oertel

Paul Oertel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same here in Hawaii. Gets old real fast
Photo of James B Bunt

James B Bunt

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
using secondary Internet to check my accounts Viasat still down Trenton Florida
Photo of John Hayes

John Hayes

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Been down all day... Does Viasat have any idea when this problem will be solved?
There's a lot of things I could be doing in the meantime.  Come on Viasat - give a little information to us.  If it's going to be down for hours - tell us that so we don't just sit and waste our days while we're trying to make a living.
Photo of David Allen

David Allen

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
In Tampa Bay Florida area - just came back online.  Slow, but service is back.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I was on hold for 3 hours before I had to change phones and then was on hold for another hour. After 4 hours on hold-- a few minutes after 7am-- the message changed to say I reached their offices after hours and I would have to call back later. Then it asked me to do a survey as if I'd already spoken to a customer service rep & hung up on me. When I called back, the automated message said there was an outage in my area. I still didn't have internet back by noon. I think it was out at least 10 hours.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Likewise in NW Galveston county. I can ping the DNS server at 8.8.8.8, google.com but no web pages or Email
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
Same here in Illinois.
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
And in Indiana. Beam 318.
Photo of James B Bunt

James B Bunt

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
same florida
Photo of AztekAl

AztekAl

• 31 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Same in Charlotte, NC area. Rebooting modem reactivates connection for a little while, but drops again after a few minutes. Been trying to use since 3:30 AM. Finally called around 6:30. Hold time said 90 minutes. I gave up after 30 mins and checking here and saw it was not just me.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
Must be jiggering with things!
Photo of Linda Walker

Linda Walker

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Same in Michigan
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 99 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
same in western Wisconsin  prescott
(Edited)
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 79 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Same in Oregon.
Photo of Jason Meador

Jason Meador

• 13 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Been on hold now for 3 hours 28 minutes;  I'm about to head off to bed and intend to leave the phone going while I sleep, so I guess I'll keep burning up Viasat's toll-free bill until someone picks up or the handset runs out of battery.

I have managed to figure out that the modem will actually hold a connection... to exactly one domain at a time, for about three minutes at a time. Trying to load a page from a different domain completely severs the connection, and it doesn't come back unless the modem gets reset. Which takes at least three minutes.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Same in Wisconsin.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
So we all now know it is NOT on our end.  Only time will fix things.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 759 Reply Likes
My VS1 system won't connect here in FL either. My VS2 system does connect and I can surf fine but I tried watching some Youtube videos on the CPE210 I bought yesterday and it buffered more than it played. 

Can't WAIT to get to the store and listen to my messages. 

Andy
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 759 Reply Likes
I should have been more clear. My VS1 system shows that it is online. When I pulled up the dashboard it showed it had been online for over 4 days...so nothing had reset. I rebooted the modem and my router and it booted up normally and went back to showing it was online but when you try to go to a website it tries for a few seconds and then says the page can't be reached. Strange.

Andy
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
All indications I see here are that this is an issue at what used to be called the core node (also call Accelenet server, IP Layer) in Viasat's client-server architecture.

There was previously a way to determine where that was but the method seems unreliable now - it's the hop after the gateway and the piece that puts the server in client-server while the modem represents the client (as reflected by the modem's client-side proxy statistics). Regardless, those are shared by gateways (SAN is the new name) and beams share gateways.

The Viasat tech blog shows that the architecture is rapidly evolving and all the previous assumptions we've made about it are off the table.

Viasat-1 in Virginia is chugging along just fine - at least until the roll out changes to my server ;)
(Edited)
Photo of michael3245

michael3245

• 76 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Same 2:30am is what my router logs show and firewall. Reboot nothing. I am in Pensacola FL. So yea its strange guess the vs1 is burning on fire crashing into the gulf of mexico. 
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 99 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
guy next door has hughesnet so on his wifi
Photo of Johnny House

Johnny House

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Same in Misssouri
Photo of lsandersj

lsandersj

• 20 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Same in Florida
Photo of Doug Stevens

Doug Stevens

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Same here in Florida. Went out around 3am I think.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 759 Reply Likes
Fired off an email to everyone I know at the company, will post back if I get any solid information. 

Andy
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 759 Reply Likes
Had a fellow council member who is already at his store send me a screenshot of the outage board.....everything but VS2 is out....VS1, WB1, Anik F2, and AMC 15. 

Gonna be a long day.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Similar to a long multi hour outage I had a few weeks ago. But this appears to be much, much more extensive.

With all the redundancies the system has, something major failed for this big of outage.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 759 Reply Likes
Reminds me of that SNL skit way back in the 70s about the Pepsi Syndrome. 

Andy
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 88 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Stop whining. I have great service. It's all in your mind. Have you emailed viasatlistens yet. They will give you instant results.
Photo of Jaynie Preston

Jaynie Preston

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Lmao
Photo of Jason Meador

Jason Meador

• 13 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
That's some quality sarcasm right there.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 170 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Same in Georgia. Had a storm last night, no internet this morning. I can reboot and comes back up for a couple minutes, then goes back out. Modem stats and lights are all good, shows online but no internet
Photo of Michael Waxman

Michael Waxman

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m outside of Austin TX and have no service.
Photo of Jason Meador

Jason Meador

• 13 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I'm on the other side of Lockhart; reset your modem and see if you can get a few minutes of connection. The way it's been working for me is that I can connect to one-- and ONLY one-- domain for about three minutes before it drops, so you should be able to at least check your email occasionally.
Photo of Carolyn Burgess

Carolyn Burgess

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm in Jasper/Newton, TX, we were without service all day.  It is back now but very, very slow.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I knew George Clooney was eventually gonna catch up to that bird...
(Edited)
Photo of michael3245

michael3245

• 76 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Its all good funlove viasat net
Photo of michael3245

michael3245

• 76 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hello IT have you attempted to reboot your device. Waits looking out the window seeing the bird crash welll guess that answers the question 
(Edited)
Photo of michael3245

michael3245

• 76 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Photo of Douglas Sexton

Douglas Sexton

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Why don't they get out in front of these outages and post that there is a problem...
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
Nice to see we all have a back-up source for internet!
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Well, don't know that I'd consider work my back-up source. LOL
Photo of Betty Jones

Betty Jones

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
They should say something on the phone about the outage so we don’t keep calling out here in Ft Pierce fl since early am
Photo of Jason Meador

Jason Meador

• 13 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I tried calling back after my handset ran out of power from being on hold for 4 hours 17 minutes, and they had actually added a "We have detected a large outage in your area" message.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
That's about what I was worrying about, but my modem said it was connected. After I spent 4 hours on hold (had to switch handsets a few min after 3 hour mark) an automated message came on to tell me that I was calling outside of customer service hours, took me to a survey as if I'd already had customer service, and then hung up on me. I was pretty pissed. Then I called back and it said my wait time would exceed 60 minutes but added a helpful bit saying there was a "network outage" in my area. Sure would have been nice if that message had come through a few hours sooner. I checked back around 12:30pm and still had no internet (and I had rebooted everything multiple times and even left the modem & router off for a couple hours to make sure it wasn't overheating issues on my end).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
It's now 7am in Denver. Hope they have a lot of coffee going.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes

arriving at the office:;

" Morning Matt B., morning Brad, morning Diane...WHAT THE!!"

(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Responses to email sent to viasatlistens are backed up for 24 days...
(Edited)
Photo of Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

• 35 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
"Matt, I am sick, Can you cover for me" "Sure Brad""Matt, I am sick too. Can you cover for me?" "Sure Diane"" Oh wait. I forgot. It's my birthday. Viasat gives birthdays off. Mr Janator, can you cover for me?" "Sure Matt"

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Is it fixed yet?

In memory of other unanswered questions and computer1949 - new plans??? new eSVT tool???

The answer is soon... for all of the above.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3413 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
yeah. Taking a look now. sorry. Sounds like an outage
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3413 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Confirmed. We have a team investigating to restore service. This isn't nation-wide but it is affecting a few core nodes.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 943 Posts
  • 483 Reply Likes
Jim16, that's accurate.

Chaim, his name is Jan Itor.  He's also a doctor.  
Photo of James B Bunt

James B Bunt

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
internet restored Trenton Florida
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
No Internet in Florida either, on hold for 1 hour now. I guess everybody exeded their data usage and crashed the entire system.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same in central Alabama. No access at all.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1979 Reply Likes
My internet on beam 314, VS1, central/western New York state is working just fine since 8:30 am EDT. I must be one of the fortunate ones. Hopefully the rest of  the service areas will be back up soon.
Photo of Debra Simmons

Debra Simmons

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled No internet in florida.

Out in Florida Is there maintenance on the gateways? Worked fine last night.
Photo of Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Out in Florida. Just sayin'
Photo of Bill

Bill

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also out in central California
Photo of Donna L Fox

Donna L Fox

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Internet down.

Internet down
Photo of Sherry Face

Sherry Face

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Internet still out in Allen, MI - haven't been able to connect all morning.

Connection is still out @ 10:59 am in Allen, MI.  I've rebooted, unplugged and waited, restarted my PC but it keeps saying the server isn't responding.  Having to use my phone's hot spot to be able to work today - this sucks.  I pay over $100 a month for this service and it's hit or miss with the service but I can't get out of the stupid contract.  I logged onto my account and the online chat still says the Live Chat is in "progress"  but no one has responded and the wait time on the phone was so long I had to hang up.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.