Internet Outage 6/27

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: The outage has passed.

No internet
Photo of Traci

Traci

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes

While everyone waits, what backup plan do you have for internet?  I have a Karma.  Just buy some data for $10 a gig and then it costs $3 a month to maintain.  Mine uses the Sprint network.  Karma resells data.

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Not even an option for me - the library or McDonalds. But I;m among the few lucky ones today who haven't been bitten by this one (yet).
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
This assumes you have a cell signal at your house...
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I don't have any backup plan for internet. I have very poor to no cell signal... if I want internet, I have to put my phone up in the window and hope for a stray signal to hit. >.< 

Seriously... you should see me trying to use the internet on my phone when the satellite is out. It's hilarious.

(I'm on Verizon wireless. Sprint's signal isn't any good out in our neck of the woods, either.)
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 186 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I use my phone. Verizon network. It's slow and sometimes can only get 3g here in the cotton fields, but it's ok for emergencies. 
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I can only get my email through Verizon. I list my cel# ###-###-#### (Texts Only).
Photo of Carolyn Burgess

Carolyn Burgess

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Do you have any idea how many of us can't even use our cell phones for calls from our homes?
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I’m in SC. Looks like we’ve been down since about 3:30 am. I get that some of you depend on internet for work and feel your frustration. But really, why is it that we’ve developed this insatiable need to be on line? Go outside, read a book, listen to music or the radio. Surely we can find something to do. Certainly for us this is the very first time in 4 years or more that our service has been out this long. I certainly can’t say that about our electricity or landline telephone. Thanks to Brad for getting us informed.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, as can be seen by some of these posts, some people have internet, and some people, the internet has them...
Photo of Nicholes Koekkoek

Nicholes Koekkoek

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I use it for work. I had to drive into the office. No big deal though. They had to do a space walk to fix it. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Thankfully I have Hughesnet on the other side of the house and it's humming along... oh yeah, the router will broadcast a wifi signal over 200 feet through walls...  have to be within 10 feet of the Viasat router... just sayin, guys.. 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
But the Viasat router is more secure and less subject to wardriving... unless your driveway is in your living room.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
where i live, i would see someone wardriving...
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Looks like we in Oregon are back up...or me anyway.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
From the calls I'm getting, the modems aren't going back online en masse so don't panic if YOUR modem isn't online yet.....think of it like being in line at Disney for Space Mountain....the line may be long but at least you know YOUR time will come. 

Andy
Photo of Ed Gordon

Ed Gordon

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
so is the issue resolved now?
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
My phone here at the store has stopped ringing so in our area I would say yes. 

As a good course of action I would suggest unplugging the power cord for 2 FULL minutes then plug it back in and let the modem reboot. 

Andy
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 186 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Been working here in South Georgia for 3 hours or so now. Thanks to Brad, Matt and all who worked on getting it back online. 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3519 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
Official Response
Final Update: Looks like this is over. I will probably archive this thread tomorrow just because this isn't going to be relevant to future self-help.

We appreciate the communication back and forth and the feedback. This was a bit of a trial run of how we might give open updates and communication moving forward  if something this scale happens again. For those that are currently not connected please try to reboot your modem 
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Outages happen. Thanks to the ViaSat team for the updates throughout the outage period and working hard to get things operational.
(Edited)
Photo of a_concerned_customer

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
As someone who has had satellite internet for over 5 years (~3 of those years were Hugesnet) I just want to say this is the first time a major issue has happened with my service through Exede. Having been with Hugesnet, I am used to hours upon hours of outages with no explanation at all....

Exede has given me far superior service for about $20 less than Hughesnet. I have yet to feel like I am being held hostage by my ISP like I was with Hugesnet. Seriously I can't stress enough how bad they were.

I hope that Exede continues providing stable and reliable internet for years to come!
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
A suggestion I would have for Viasat is to institute a text messaging service.  When your aware of large scale outages or even a smaller outage to send a SMS to those that sign up for the service that your aware of the problem and working on it.  Would certainly help your customer service department that is swamped with telephone calls with everyone asking the same question.
Photo of Matt Miller

Matt Miller

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My service is still not working even with 2 modem reloads. Same issue as 12 hours ago.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Try leaving it unplugged for 2 full minutes and see if that helps....the system sees your modem differently if you'll do this and it might get you back up and running. 

Andy
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2237 Posts
  • 1365 Reply Likes
It happens, unfortunately.  My ISP had an outage on New Years Day.  It hit everyone on the new satellite.  It was out for about seven hours.   Nothing's infallible.  

Glad it's back up for you guys.  
Photo of Ginger Logan

Ginger Logan

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I left the modem unplugged for over 2 minutes and the service is still in and out.  Any recommendations on what to do?  I couldn't work for 2 days now and really need to get work done tomorrow.  Along with making calls, that's also done by internet. Thanks for any help in advance.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Call customer care, they can utilize a tool called eSVT which will allow them to see the health of your signal and see your signal history. If they see something that requires a svc call then they can go ahead and set that up for you. If you got your system through a retailer then AFTER you get the svc call generated you might want to call them. They, your retailer, get an email informing them that a svc call has been set up but sometimes that email goes to the spam folder. You can discuss with them a date and time. If they're not really busy they may be able to come right out. 

Andy
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
This has been one loooooong thread. 

Andy

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.