Internet in rural Pennsylvania

• Problem
  • Updated 4 days ago
This person is obviously not a fan of satellite internet.

If they think it is bad in PA, they should see how bad it is in parts of Ohio and Virginia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thei...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 843 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes

Posted 4 days ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 342 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
How long will this thread last before the powers to be vaporize it? A lot of threads getting killed off lately.
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 20 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
It'll last as long as it remains a respectful conversation about whether CAF auctions (or other government subsidies) are really effective in bringing broadband internet to underserved populations.

Viasat is under no obligation to provide a public forum for trashing its services. Once the conversation turns disrespectful toward Viasat or others they'll shut it down

What the author of that particular article fails to mention is that there were some 26000+ items up for bid in PA (i.e. locations identified as being underserved). From the FCC Public Reporting System, it appears Viasat was the sole bidder (easy to win, pick and choose when you're the sole bidder).

The lack of bidding may simply suggest that even subsidizing land-based providers isn't cost effect effect  (or possible not enough of an incentive at current levels). Verizon's bids appear to be limited to high density population areas and some other big names didn't even bid. 

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 843 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Elizabeth Warren wants to spend $85 billion to fix it!

https://observer.com/2019/08/elizabet...
(Edited)

Dances with Woofs

• 20 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
How! No comment ;)

But for some added insights on the the CAF approach see:

http://nrri.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2019/04/Final-NRRI-Insights_Gillan_4-12-2019.pdf

Especially, the reaction at the end of it.

And that prior post should read Viasat was sole bidder on 24K+ of the 26K+ in PA by my reckoning...

(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 342 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Where is Warren going to get the money for all her promises?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 342 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Viasat is under no obligation to provide a public forum for trashing its services. Once the conversation turns disrespectful toward Viasat or others they'll shut it down

My point was the censoring is increasing exponentially as Viasat seems to upset more customers by the day including previous champions. Go back 6 months ago and removing posts and threads weren't happening at 20% of the rate they are now.

Dances with Woofs

• 20 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Yeah they were... nobody notices until their ox is gored. Same for some of those champions - everything was "fine" until they experienced the impact of Viasat's policy decisions, but for the most part they picked up and moved on.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 342 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Woofs, you are a recently joined extreme fan of Viasat, why is that? The bad press for Viasat grows by the day, you seem to want to deny that. You joined less than two weeks ago, but claim to know what was going on around here months and months ago. Please explain. I would have to guess you are a sub contractor installing or selling Viasat, or both. Come clean, you are fooling no one.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2718 Posts
  • 1419 Reply Likes
I’m grandfathered in on a Liberty 12 plan that works better than ever before. Although my service is awesome I’m no longer a fan boy after seeing how Viasat chose to treat people on 150 gb plans.

As long as Viasat leaves my plan along I will probably stay. $60 a month (including lease) for a virtually unlimited Liberty plan isn’t a bad deal.

If Viasat changes how my plan works I’ll probably jump ship like the rest of the former fan boys.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 342 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Mr. Rice, have you recently checked your zip for what plans are now available in your area? I used to have Liberty 12, but it is no longer available in my zip code or anywhere within 75 miles of me. Minimum plan with all the taxes and fees cost $118 for 35 GB a month. Also the once free installs cost $150. Moral of the story is I think your point is now moot, as most prospective new customers cannot get what you are happy with.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2718 Posts
  • 1419 Reply Likes
I guess grandfathered doesn’t mean what I thought it meant.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2718 Posts
  • 1419 Reply Likes
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 843 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Woofs has been around for years. But he does like to stir :).
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2718 Posts
  • 1419 Reply Likes
I was just trying to say that I am not longer a fanboy.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 342 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes

For the record he has officially been around for 11 days, I guess he is the alter ego of a Viasat homer from days gone by.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 342 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes

For the record he has officially been around for 11 days, I guess he is the alter ego of a Viasat homer from days gone by.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2718 Posts
  • 1419 Reply Likes
11 plus 11 equals 22

Dances with Woofs

• 20 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Nah not an extreme fan and not affiliated with Viasat in any way - just a realist. You seem to think it's my first rodeo. Go back through the history of my posts as Old Labs and you'll find I've been quite critical of Viasat - the difference between you and me is I actually offer them suggestion for improvement when being critical - you also rely on ad hominem rather than a rational discussion..

Satellite internet is internet of last resort for folks like me - no viable alternatives other than paying Comcast $12K to run cable some 1/2 mile at recent check - I should have jumped at $6500 offered back ion 2012. Right now I'm not inclined to take the hit on what effectively would be a $12K install fee.

No amount of bitchin' and moaning is going to change that fact for me, life too short as I found out 3 years ago now (I have the scar to prove it) and I don't feel the need to save the world from Viasat's evil clutches as some might. Some in the old forum vowed they'd never come here because it was simply a complaint forum - yet here some of them are.

I saw the unlimited plans for what they were when first intro'd - my first question was where exactly did the bandwidth come from to support unlimited plans? Unlimited data requires unlimited capacity and both birds have a fixed capacity. Common  sense dictates that unlimited or even virtually unlimited as Freedom was hyped, is unsustainable. I tempered my expectations and I didn't believe the Viasat-2 hype that was pedaled on this community after a certain conference. I stuck with my Liberty 12 at $50 per month (and don't have a lease fee) and it works for my needs. I'm simply not as disappointed in Viasat as some others. As I've said in the past, if something better comes along I'll up and vanish like a fart in the wind.

If you feel the need to bash or trash Viasat in this community, go right ahead you already know what the result will be. Everybody who's observed your posts Will knows exactly what your point was.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1943 Posts
  • 1199 Reply Likes
More like a realist who knows his stuff and who has been a part of this Community for quite some time.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1943 Posts
  • 1199 Reply Likes
More like a realist who knows his stuff and who has been a part of this Community for quite some time.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 843 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Gabe and the double post!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1943 Posts
  • 1199 Reply Likes
It's a curse!  LOL.  When it will strike, no one knows, but it's always lurking, ready to rear its ugly double head.  :)  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 843 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Always happens to you though! 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1943 Posts
  • 1199 Reply Likes
I might have gremlins hiding in my network.  

Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 354 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
It is unfortunate that satellite internet qualifies for the government subsidized broadband program and will likely label those communities as now "served by broadband".  This is a true travesty of the intended purpose of the program.

This should serve as a "heads up" to those individuals in areas that have no broadband or only have a satellite internet option.  Contact your elected representatives and insure they are aware of this so that they lobby for FIOS or cable with 50, 100 Mbps up to 1 Gbps service, at any time of the day, without data caps at a reasonable cost and do not accept any other technology that can not deliver that performance. Today those numbers are very reasonable and what is needed to perform the myriad of operations that residential customers, small businesses, and schools require and should expect.

I don't know what the government standards are for an ISP to qualify for federal funds but if satellite internet qualifies than it should be reported to a government agency concerned with Waste, Fraud, and Abuse.

My area was served by satellite, but the inability of satellite technology to provide the broad band service that is required to provide the community with reliable service, reasonable speeds and a affordable cost structure allowed the forward thinking government officials to apply and secure funding for FIOS.

Having been a Wildblue, Exede, Viasat customer for 7 years and now a rural FIOS customer for 6 weeks, I can tell you it is like Night and Day, and my hope is that this service can be extended to all internet users.

Don't just get on this forum and P**s and Moan, Contact your legislators, insure they are aware of what is really needed less you go down the path of rural Pennsylvania.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 843 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
My post was to generate discussion. I know Viasat and Hughesnet want to get in on the government funding of rural internet. Other providers are fighting against them, arguing satellite internet can't meet the internet needs of people in 2020.

As noted in the article, low data caps and high latency are two big drawbacks. Even if they can meet the speed threshold of 25Mbps.

Data caps is another big problem. While they advertise it as "unlimited" data, we all know that once priority data is used, all bets are off.

The digital divide only continues to get worse. I am not optimistic anything is going to change soon.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1943 Posts
  • 1199 Reply Likes
They did it in my corner of NY state with HN.  It's still the same HN, but the available plans are larger than normal and the price is better.  Plus, no lease fees.  It would cost me $25 less per month and I'd have 30GB more data, overall.  

I'd take advantage of it, but I'd have to cancel what I have now, then wait for 45 days after my service termination to sign back up.  I think I'd go batty without internet for that long.  Then again, I could go with a prepaid cell phone with a couple of months of unlimited service.  One that can tether, of course.  And I know that, when it comes to tethering, the "unlimited" service has an even larger asterisk, but it would probably be enough for me to get by for that time.  If I finally decide to change to one of the NY sponsored plans, that's probably what I'll do.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2718 Posts
  • 1419 Reply Likes
On the unlimited plans all bets are off whether or not you have used your priority data.