Interesting stats on broadband availability

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
I am most shocked that they say only 4% use landlines anymore.

Just a few years ago we were arguing how you have to have a landline. I personally gave mine up several years ago. Never missed it.

https://www.telecompetitor.com/foreca...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1865 Posts
  • 1079 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 132 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Gave mine up also several years ago. AT&T prices were ridiculous, kept the phone number though as a Google Voice number. Handy when you need to put a number on a form, but don't really want calls.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Landlines are still used by many people in my area due to the fact that there is no cell reception and internet options are limited to only satellite.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1863 Posts
  • 1079 Reply Likes
But only 4% of the country.

Now if only 4% of the country couldn't get high speed, unlimited internet :)

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Such a small percentage of the population yet no one wants to take the initiative to get the whole country connected. They say it costs too much, but they don't realize they can make money. Practically every household in my area has either Hughes or Viasat. Every one of those households would dump satellite for wired broadband in a heart beat.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2367 Posts
  • 1437 Reply Likes
E911 services desperately need to be improved, too.  100% GPS accuracy with all E911 servcies should be a priority.  Like with a home phone, you shouldn't have to give your address.  They should immediately know where you are.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2368 Posts
  • 1437 Reply Likes
I still have a home phone through Verizon. 

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
A landline through Verizon?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2368 Posts
  • 1437 Reply Likes
Yep.  Had it for 15+ years.  It was either that or AT&T at the time.  

Admiral Korbohuta

• 218 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
ATT landline in my area. I had it for over 10 years and it was very reliable. The only time it ever went out was when loggers accidentally cut the line.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2368 Posts
  • 1437 Reply Likes
I've had two problems with mine over the years.  One was a short that was happening in the access panel at the end of our road, which was causing a lot of static during calls, and another where we had a wind storm and a limb fell from a tree in my front yard and took my line out.  Not the main line, but the one going from the pole to my house.  They were nice though and fixed it for free, even though it wasn't covered by my inside line maintenance plan. 

We have some problems here with the power going out.  It goes out at least once a year, though usually only for a few hours.  Being near the end of Lake Erie, we get a lot of wind here.  My phone, however, has never gone out from a storm or anything else, save for that limb.