In and out of service

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I signed up for Viasat Les than a month ago. I have had nothing but problems since. I work from home and HAVE to have reliable Internet service. It constantly (2-3x/day) goes from all blue indicator to blue on bottom and what looks to be pinkish/purple on the top. Then 10 minutes later or so it's back to all blue and I can sign back in. Any suggestions to fixing this or why it is happening?
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1594 Posts
  • 932 Reply Likes
Did you just move? Or did you have different internet before?

My first guess would be perhaps something off with the installation. Maybe a bad ground or something. Email viasatlistens@viasat.com. include your account number and they can look at some things for you.
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had different internet before, but I started a job where I would be working from home so they stressed I needed reliable service.  The internet I had before was point to point service and didn't have the upload or download speeds I needed so I switched to viasat. 

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1582 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Reliable internet? And you chose satellite internet? Just curious what you saw or read to believe this? Dont get me wrong, satellite internet might work for you, but you are going to be dealing with weather outages from time to time, high latency all the time, and variable speed. Upload speed on satellite internet is also going to be pretty low.

Best of luck to you. I would start by calling customer service first and have them do some troubleshooting.
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't have any other choice, unfortunately I can't get cable or dsl.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
You will need to call Customer Care

Much of the country has reliable service but there are problem areas
What you are experiencing with the gateway can be fixed - it is alignment or hardware glitch
You are still under complete no cost warrantee 
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I got a number for my local service person from the customer service rep I talked to but the service person will not return my calls. This is so important due to my job. I just started and could be fired if I can't stay connected for my webex meetings, which is what happened on Friday. I am at such a loss here. It has happened at least 5 times this morning and it's only 11:00am! 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1579 Posts
  • 928 Reply Likes
You expect to have online meetings with satellite internet?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2230 Posts
  • 1360 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, even if it worked the way it should, satellite internet still isn't reliable enough for something like work, as bad weather can always interfere with the connection.  
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Like Gabe says even if a satellite dish is lined up perfect in an area with a strong signal a heavy down pour will cause it to drop the connection. If you are in a problematic area  like I was any thing more than a light rain will lose signal. The dishes don't like snow or freezing rain either.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1579 Posts
  • 928 Reply Likes
Not to mention high latency.
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes ExSatUser, I can tell you enjoy making me look stupid for choosing this. Unfortunately I am not as well versed in the internet capabilities as you are. You can feel free to stop posting on my thread at any time. 
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And I have no choice at this point, I signed a freaking 2 year contract with these fools. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1579 Posts
  • 928 Reply Likes
I am not trying to make you look stupid.  You probably saw the ridiculous Viasat commercial I saw this afternoon and thought yea, that will work.  I just wish you better understood the limitations of satellite internet.  You did what many people do.  You bought into the hype. 

You do have issues that I think tech support should be able to fix.  Will it ultimately allow you to do what you need?  I wouldn't commit that much.  Anything less than hardwired internet is not what I would call reliable internet. 

You are not committed BTW.  Pay $15/month for each month remaining in your contract and you are out.  Well worth it if it saves your job and you find a better, more reliable internet service. 
(Edited)
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes I am planning on going back to my point to point, but I am going to do everything in my power to not pay the $345 because they have not provided me even one week of continuous internet service. I have had issues since day one, and it is BS!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1579 Posts
  • 928 Reply Likes

Understood.  While slower.  Your point to point service is probably more reliable and not impacted by weather outages, high latency, random disconnects, and huge swings in speed.  Good luck getting out of the contract if that is what you want to do!  Maybe it will spur them to actually fix the internet for you, as while satellite internet has issues, you shouldn't be having that many issues day after day.
(Edited)
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I will do that thanks. We have a direct path to the satellite so I'm hoping it should be an easy fix.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
Direct path to the satellite?

Keep us posted. Hope you get it fixed.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I hope you don't live in one of those problem areas like I do. Nobody I have run across in my area has had good luck with either Viasat or Hughnet. What you are experiencing sounds like how my Viasat was. It was never cured with multiple tech visits. I had very minimal needs and they weren't met. Also those speeds Viasat quotes are up to and not guaranteed. My plan was "up to 12 mbps" my speeds were usually under 1 mbps and had up to a dozen dropouts a day, even when the weather was good.
(Edited)
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah and now I'm stick in a contract, sucks! I hope my issues can be resolved soon.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 159 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
You look to be on ViaSat2 satellite.  True?   There seem to be less problems on VS2 so you have hope that it will be fixed.  Check the easy stuff first.  Are all cable connections tight going in to the modem and back to the dish?  Is there a wall jack or does the cable just go thru the wall?   How about power connections to the modem and to the wall?   
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes everything is plugged in and connect well. It's weird cuz some days I can go all day without it going out then others it's like 5x/day. Yesterday for example, beautiful sunny day no clouds or rain and I had to restart or was booted out of my system 5 times. Tuesday it worked all day and didn't go down once.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
There has been issues with some subs on Viasat-2 as Bob alluded to above.

A couple things to keep in mind. Everyone that has Viasat has a direct line of sight to the satellite. If you dont, the system wouldn't work at all.

Weather. Just because the weather is good at your house doesn't mean the weather is good at the gateway. What goes up must come down. Weather outages can and do occur at gateways. I doubt that happened in this situation, but just FYI.

I really feel your point to point service would be more reliable than satellite internet. That's my personal opinion. But what do I know, I only used satellite internet for over 20 years before dumping it.
(Edited)
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 159 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
What did Customer Care say?    They are able to log into your modem and run some diagnostics.   But we all know the chances of getting Customer Care on the phone while the issue is happening.  But it's still a worthwhile exercise.   With problems showing up ever since the install and the very inconsistency seems to point to loose connection?  bad crimp on coax?  power problems?   bad modem or power supply?   the installer needs to re-visit and find the issue.  
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They saw that the modem was going in and out of service and stated that was not acceptable. They gave me a number for a service person to come and look but after calling 3 times I have yet to get a call back to schedule a time for them to come out. 
Photo of Steve Griffis

Steve Griffis

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My experience with Viasat has been a slowing of service at times and regularly having the modem stop working.  When I discovered the modem status page (192.168.100.1) I noticed the CPU CORE TEMP was very high, 93 degree C.  The internal fan would come on and lower the temp a little but then shut off.  I'm used to electronics where the max temp allowed is 70.  As an experiment I have placed an external fan blowing down the long axis of the modem.  The temp has dropped to the 60s.  I would like even lower but my modem is in the garage and it's warm out there.  But this is a 30 degree change.  Let's see if this improves operation.
Photo of Jeff Turner

Jeff Turner

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the v2, loose connection everyday here recently, it's not weather related. Viasat keeps blowing me off. They told me the other night they could not help me right now because they were having an outage??
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
It is possible there was an outage at that particular time.

Unfortunately the reliability of satellite internet can be tough due to weather, gateway issues, poor installs, etc
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Reliability and satellite internet do not belong in the same sentence. On the other hand I am very thankful for my time with Viasat, as they set the bar so low the only way to go has been up after I dumped them for cell wireless.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
In and Out Of Love- Bon Jovi(1985)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Jeff, post what your signal level (RxSNR) is when system is working and under blue skies.

Include signal level when offline

What part of the country are you in?