I'm only getting .3mbs download. This just started recently. I have the 150 G plan. WTF?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Photo of Mark Macomber

Mark Macomber

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated, 150G only used 41G so far. Download speed .3mbs.

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2834 Posts
  • 1551 Reply Likes
I was pulling 182Kbps at 11 tonight. I too have 150GB of priority and am under the cap.

As John McClane would say, welcome to the party pal!
Photo of Virgil Teffeteller

Virgil Teffeteller

• 35 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I have the silver plan I also have 150 gb plan and promise,but after 50gb I get slowed down to 3gb download.so looks like I am not the only one getting ripped off.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 255 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
If your speeds are that slow all the time then you've got a problem with alignment or a hardware issue. If your speeds are only slow during primetime hours, then it's due to congestion on your beam.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2834 Posts
  • 1551 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, a series of unfortunate events helped create this situation. First Viasat offered "unlimited" plans last September with 150GB of priority data. That was way way too much data to offer from the start. Then, Viasat-2 had the antenna issues. This has caused curtailed coverage areas over what was anticipated a year ago. And the Viasat-2 rollout has been at a snail's pace as described above. And where it is available, plans are priced so high people are not jumping on it. IMHO when you are charging north of $100/month for internet (at least with the restrictions satellite internet has) that is when people think twice.

Bev will back me up on that. About al people will pay in her neck of the woods is $50/month, and even that is stretching it.
Photo of Mark Macomber

Mark Macomber

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Seriously, it's not rocket science. Worked in cable industry for years, and it wasn't until the owner decided to cut loose with the money did it get done right.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 255 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Except satellite internet is rocket science and is very different from the cable company.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3025 Posts
  • 1257 Reply Likes
Yep, most here can't afford much for internet. 2000/month is a LOT of income to these people. Take out 300 for electricity, 100 for cell phone and 500 for mortgage or rent and, they just don't have the money.

Fortunately for me, my husband earns that in a week so, we can have the luxuries of TV and Internet. Unfortunately that means he works in Illinois and, I only see him on weekends - if some problem doesn't force him to work all weekend. Trucking can easily have a problem that means he can't get home - usually because he's 200 miles away and, out of hours for the week so, has to stay there for 36 hours and, I don't feel like driving to Little Rock or Dallas for the weekend or, Step son is working the weekend too so, no one to tend the animals if I leave. (and I can't send the wolfdogs to a kennel - they don't allow them - neither does PetSmart or, the dog park in T-Town.)
Photo of Mark Macomber

Mark Macomber

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah I worked 40 yrs and live on 1300 a month disability now. So 100 a month is alot.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2181 Posts
  • 398 Reply Likes
Hello Mark, Contact us at viasatlistens@viasat.com.  We'll evaluate your account to determine what's causing your slow speeds.  Please include your account, contact information, and issue in the email.