I'm confused

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

People have been coming here for a long time saying Viasat sucks,  its slow, its a rip off, scam, etc...

Viasat changed the wording to the user agreement but are speeds any different than they were last month?

If you were complaining that Viasat was slow last month and this month its the same, then what seems to be the big deal?  Nothing has changed other than wording in the user agreement.

Just a legitimate question.  Now if speeds have honestly dropped in half, I'd say thats a big deal, but of course speeds are all over the place anyway due to congestion so its hard to tell.

Some nights I have 12 mbps and other nights my speeds are below 1 mbps.  That is after using up my priority data, although I can say for the most part, my Viasat connection now stays above 1 mbps during primetime even after my data is used up.  I'm a happy camper but I am on a magic beam.

If your speeds sucked before the new agreement and they still suck, then what is the sudden outburst of anger all about?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2725 Posts
  • 1425 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Being on one of the grandfathered Silver 25 Unlimited 150GB plans on VS1, yes, since the change, I am seeing more slower speeds as in under 5 Mbps which I rarely saw before, now it's almost daily that I'm seeing 2-3 Mbps from 4 PM or so until at least midnight. I do see 25-45 Mbps 5-8 AM, 10-15 Mbps 8-4 then crawling after 4 PM.

Before the change I had 18-25 Mbps all day and 7-10 Mbps prime time at the worst. Even with priority data remaining, Prime Time acts like I'm out of data now regardless of my usage. Used to be prime time really did't matter, now it matters, pages time out, only one person at a time can be online and actually get anything done. Used to be two or three could be online and, it was fine no matter what.

It's changed for the worse long time customers are being throttled or deprioritized even with data remaining and, that is going to anger a lot of people. I'm not happy but, i don't have a choice and, I do understand why. Just hoping it improves with VS3.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2725 Posts
  • 1425 Reply Likes
Thanks.  That makes a lot more sense to me.

It just gets confusing because some people don't even get 1 mbps during primetime on the Freedome plan, with priority data remaining.  Yet other beams like mine work great, even after using priority data.  Its hard to keep track of stuff.

Oh the joys of spot beams and congestion!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I know and, as moderate to fully loaded beams go, mine is doing very well. VS2 in my area, well um not so good. 12 Mbps MAX on VS2 here and, prime time is the under 1 Mbps crawl if you're on VS2 as my step son is. 0.5 miles away as the crow flies. (He has the newer Unlimited Bronze plan)

Mine used to be like yours, don't know why they changed it unless maybe other plans weren't getting what I was. VS 1 has always been great here, seems a bit arbitrary to change my beam but, maybe it's still being fine tuned and, it will level out and not be so erratic when it's all done.

Worst case I have to wait for 3 more birds to get into orbit before it gets better again - I'll faint or possibly die if fixed wireless or fiber ever comes to my house. AT&T tried to tell me it was here, until an installer came out to check and, learned I have no signal anywhere on my property - house 2 miles closer to the main highway does but, not me.

The joys of living in a black hole - no TV antenna reception, no AM or FM radio reception, no land land phone options, no cellular service - if it isn't coming from a satellite, the signal isn't getting to my house. Thank the powers that be for Viasat, DTV and SirriusXM :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Maybe they are upgrading you to a magic beam like Stephen?!?!?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I can hope that's what the outages last night were about - on for 2-30 minutes, disconnect only to reconnect immediately, all night and, into this morning. Seems okay now. (for the last 4 hours)

Of course tier 1 support tried to blame weather but, I can check the weather too, it wasn't weather not at my home or in Wyoming. Acted like maintenance so, I'm guessing they were up to something on my beam all day yesterday and last night.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "under 5 Mbps ...almost daily...2-3 Mbps from 4 PM or so until at least midnight...see 25-45 Mbps 5-8 AM, 10-15 Mbps 8-4 then crawling after 4 PM."

Modulating speeds...being more uniform across all users during peak usage hours...is a technically a better flowing system.

Think Netflix, and how they smoothed out speeds by way of constant streaming, rather than erratic bursts of high speeds.

If all users affected have similar experiences, then I suspect the change was due to technical reasons.  Decreasing high burst rates benefits all users.

Viasat has been on a learning curve since Exede was offered....I don't see a malicious or profit motive involved if smoothing out packet flow is modus operandi.  Netflix has done it, and I'm sure others too.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "VS2 in my area..12 Mbps MAX...prime time is the under 1 Mbps crawl "

Earth stations were being built one at a time....but how many exist now is unknown to us. 

In previous years, I always suspected when limited bandwidth existed, it was prioritized across time-zone primetimes, when possible.  Where processed in Denver, for instance, central time zone beams were short-changed later in evening when mountain and pacific beams needed more bandwidth for their primetimes.

Photo of Riley Wayne Baker

Riley Wayne Baker

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Worse internet on the planet. . I'm stuck until my co tract is up then back to windstream .
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 883 Posts
  • 572 Reply Likes
$15/month for the months remaining on your contract is a small price to pay. You will probably save money if you do the math.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 357 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
It seems all the Viasat Champions were just lucky that they were living in the sweetspot for Viasat service & deluded that everyone not getting the same service was doing so under their own fault. Now things have changed, and it is funny as can be.What a bunch of pathetic homers.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 883 Posts
  • 572 Reply Likes
Viasat was never that great for ke, but it was tolerable. Unilaterally changing the terms and conditions of my plan was the last straw.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 869 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
@Will, things were fine for many Viasat customers, not just Champions, until the usage policy change last January. Not many people complained until that happened.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1955 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
It seems all the Viasat Champions were just lucky that they were living in the sweetspot for Viasat service & deluded that everyone not getting the same service was doing so under their own fault. 
Not me.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1955 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
It seems all the Viasat Champions were just lucky that they were living in the sweetspot for Viasat service & deluded that everyone not getting the same service was doing so under their own fault. 
Not me.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1955 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Oh, great.  Gotta love GetSat.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3128 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
@Stephen Rice, I am on the Freedom 12 Mbps plan. Up until 2 weeks ago, my speeds were 15 to 17 Mbps during the day, 8 to 12 Mbps during prime time. Now I see varying speeds during the daytime, from 1 to 17 Mbps, but during the evenings, after 5 PM, my speeds vary from 800 Kbps to around 2 Mbps. I am well under my data limit, today at 23 GB of my 150 GB priority data. So yes, the change in the data prioritization is quite noticeable here in south central New York state.

No VS2 available in this part of the country, so VS1 has to handle the load. For the past year, no new subscribers were being accepted in my area, but in early January it was opened up again, with Liberty 12, 25 and 50 GB 12 Mbps plans.

Like Bev, I will have to stick around, hoping that Viasat gets this better controlled. Am I happy that they are "prioritizing" my priority data now, heck no. But for now I am not going to give up  my Freedom plan for a Liberty plan with 1/3 the data, but will see how things go in the future.
Photo of etling

etling

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm on Unlimited Silver 25Mbps in Southern California. Pretty much all of 2018 was issue-free for us – I work from home as a web developer a couple days per week, we stream from Netflix Hulu etc. in the evenings (on a single device) Speeds fluctuated but downstream was usually 10mbps to *over* 25mbps. 

The downstream in the evening is now barely 1mbps and streaming services are no longer very functional.  This is without going over our data allowance (which was supposed to be unlimited to begin with.) Sometimes I'm finding better results tethered to an LTE hotspot with a single bar of service.

Pretty tough pill to swallow given that the price I'm paying for the service has not changed. I understand the incredible complexity and cost of satellite broadband, but giving people something and then taking it away is perhaps worse than never giving it to them to begin with. 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 869 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
I'm on the Freedom 12Mbps plan and have not noticed any changes in speeds since the new user agreement came out. But I don't stream or schedule any large downloads during primetime so it's possible I haven't noticed it.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
There you go fmj...

The changes were aimed at providing a better experience for the majority of subscribers. Probably those who engage in less intensive activities and shift their heavy lifting to non-peak will not see much of a difference. I suspect that would be the majority - not due to choice but rather being not being able to afford the higher priced plans affected by this whe they were offered.

We know that Unlimited Plans on Viasat-1 were limited time offers as were Freedom plans. We just don't know the counts relative to other plans and either one of those could be the straw that finally broke the camel's back.

Those dependent on prime time heavy streaming in HD, heavy file downloading, and of course running speed tests every 15 minutes with a file size of 30+ MB will see the difference.

It'll take some time for the new equilibrium to be achieved as folks adapt to the new reality. I really can't see any evil intent here (agreeing with Dr. Jab), but it's convenient to think there is.

Then again, I'm one that hasn't been inconvenienced since we all consider ourselves to be the center of our universe - but increased speeds really provide me with no benefit except in bragging about my speed test results; speed tests aren't how this internet thing works, that's not how any of this works. However I don't have to advise my wife to avoid using the Internet as much while I'm doing something mission critical.

If I were to utilize all that excess capacity I have right now in a different fashion, I'd need to bump up to Liberty 50 and buy Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Playon invest in a Plex server and others and still keep the Video Data Extender on. Ameirica's Top 120 Plus on Dish and the local RedBox are still way cheaper and suffices.

Based on the email I've seen folks can cancel with no ETF so have a choice (probably 30 days if adhering to the customer agreement), If I were affected I'd probably ride the storm out to see if that eases things before giving either Unlimited or Freedom up on Viasat-1 for greener pastures or even Liberty.  
(Edited)
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 150 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I read the email they sent notifying the wording change and I basically thought "oh okay, so this should clarify it so we don't see as many people complaining about the "up to" now" but I have been wondering about what was going on with my service. I've been on the Unlimited Silver 25 plan since it came out and it has worked really well, but recently I've been getting incredibly slow speeds and a lot of the time it just completely stops working and by that I mean I'm connected, the weather is clear, but whenever I try to load a page it says i'm not connected to the internet. The internet traffic monitor that's built into my VPN (which isn't the issue, I've been using it for a few months now) shows I get between 12 to 24KB/s at most with very rare exceptions. 

this also isn't just during primetime, during primetime I can't even load a 144p video and apps such as Discord completely time out and infinitely try to reconnect.  Whether it be 3 AM or 8 AM my speeds are the worst that I've had in months and this is all while having priority data remaining.  I'm moving houses and as such will be swapping to the available Liberty 50 plan, so I guess I can report in on if I see any changes. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
If you are seeing consistently bad speeds all the time, perhaps there is a problem with your Viasat installation (bad tria, modem, ground, etc.) But since you are moving, I guess not much use to spending time looking into it.
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 150 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
well seeing as there's been no change to the install this whole time and I've had no issues until recently, I'd wager that's not the case, but yeah if that is somehow the issue then moving should (hopefully) fix that. 
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
So,  have you considered any other options since you will have to sign a new contract when you move?
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 150 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I don't have any other options, Hughesnet offers 20GB of data for barely cheaper than the 50GB liberty I can get and that's the highest tier plan available to me.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.