If you have very slow speeds in the Evening - It is probably Congestion

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

First off, let me be clear - THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!  This post is to simply document the situation and encourage others having similar problems to actually call customer care and let them know if you are experience slow speeds.

It would seem in the VA area (I believe that this is Beam 329) many folks have been experiencing slow speeds in the evenings.  This, for me has now been ongoing for a week and up until now has not been overly noticeable as mostly I just do light web browsing and do not need a whole lot of bandwidth.

Tonight was different.  From about 8:30 PM to 10:53 PM (the time I am writing this post) pages were not loading, pings were dropping, and all was not working well in the world of 1's and 0's traversing the internet.  I did go ahead and call customer care and let them know just so it is documented since I believe that they need to know if there may be an issue.

Went through the steps of power cycling and plugging directly to the Viasaat modem from a single system.  During the course of the call download speeds improved on the speedtest from the 1.86 Mbps I was getting earlier (that is when I could get the page to actually load) to somewhere between 2.19 Mbps - 2.8ish Mpbs download and from .56 Mbps to 1.04 Mbps upload.

My guess is that we just had too much traffic for a couple of hours on our particular beam and performance suffered.  If you are experiencing the same problems, please do take the time to call customer care, not to yell and be angry, but just so they know what is going on.  If only a couple of people complain, then it can be written off as isolated incidents.  If enough people call to document it, then the company can confirm there may be an issue and determine how to move forward.

I realize this technology has its limitations and I do not have a problem with that.  I am not even that worried about the speed not being what it used to be.  I am more concerned that there may be another underlying issue that is not being addressed simply because not enough people are taking the time to constructively inform Exede of the issues they are experiencing. 

Just to be clear this post is not to encourage unconstructive rants and angry comments, but to simply inform others that might be having the same problem of what I have seen happening.

Exede customer service team - thank you for your efforts to continue to address user's concerns and for assisting us within the best of your abilities.  Perhaps you too can take a look and perhaps Exede can even provide some details on the performance that the company would be willing to share with those in the affected service areas. 

I will say the customer care representative I spoke with tonight was very professional and did ensure me he would forward the ticket internally to a group that monitors the service levels.  I hope this post helps some others by answering questions and perhaps even helps Exede by allowing others to document their issues as well.

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Rene Moreno

Rene Moreno

• 48 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Have an issue with your ISP

File a Formal Complaint with the FCC

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display

New rules of Net Neutrality!!!!

Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Maybe one day you will realise some of us are happy with our service, you take care of your problems and I'll take care of mine. I am perfectly happy with exede and the csr's.  
Photo of Rene Moreno

Rene Moreno

• 48 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Rene Moreno

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Likes

exede customer care reply on blocked internet links

Hankz_medium
Bobbie Blackman replied to this idea: FCC's Net Neutrality Complaint link...!!!! Voice your opinion.

Thats 5 emails from your ignorant self in my box, enough already, 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Rene, I have reviewed and responded to your comments on Facebook
and look forward to helping you out of your DAP status. Look forward to
hearing from you. Also, Bobbie is not a part of the ViaSat team, just a proud supporter and happy customer.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes

Rene - Please DO NOT feel obliged to respond to this, but stop hijacking threads.  If you have a problem, then start a new one.  I checked the link you posted that you said you cannot access and I am able to get to it just fine and it only used 0.15 MB used to load the initial , so Exede is NOT blocking ports.  If you are under Data restriction - per their agreement which is readily available online - they may limit or reduce some types of traffic.  If you want to take issue, why not ask your university why they don't use standard ports.

Now, back to the purpose of this thread.  This morning's speeds better.  9.61 Mbps Down and 1.04 Mbps Up.  Seems like they are indeed working on it.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Well was doing good last couple days and this evening I think we lost the token (must have fallen out of the Satellite Beam)*

Please, please, please say it ain't so....I thought it was fixed :)

(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
* the comment about the token is a reference to a prank pulled on green network techs back in the day when using token ring networks. Used to send them off looking for where the packets were leaking from the cable....

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Just called Customer care and let them know. She was able to look into things and confirmed that the system did show indications that our area was affected by network congestion. Nothing they can really do about it at this time. Requested that she notate my account and forward on to support engineers to let them know there is still a problem here.

Mostly working, however having some issues with pages timing out tonight. Customer care also confirmed I was not the first to be calling in concerned about things in our area. Good sign that at least those of you with issues are indeed letting customer care know that you are having problems. Keep doing the same. Seemed much better for the last three nights until tonight.
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
The speeds are still dragging. I've been dealing with this for a month, and I have not seen any improvement. 
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Timmy, I'd like to troubleshoot this with you live. Please send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information, a good contact number, and when you are available to troubleshoot.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Timmy - I would contact the Exede Customer Support AND also Beau and see what they can see.  I have called several times about mine and there really is nothing they can do since we are simply in a very congested beam.  I notice now on Exede's site they no longer even show plan offerings on their website when I type in my zip code.  It says it is available but I need to contact an Exede dealer.  A test of several other zip codes yielded the same results.

I am not sure if there is an overall issue with the system or Exede has just determined that they no longer want to be selling direct to customers or if this is just a temporary thing until their new plans are announced February...I mean March .... wait...make that April. 

Unfortunately I don't think I am going to see any relief on my connection until the new satelite is launched.  Most of the time when I need the service, it is usable, but it is still 3-5 Mbps during the later hours of the day which is when I use it to finish the things I didn't get done at work that day.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.