If some decide to stop their internet before their contract is up how much would they have to pay a month

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
Photo of roxie kwak

roxie kwak

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
$15 for every remaining month in your minimum service term as described at:

https://help.viasat.com/articles/Denver_FAQ/Fees-and-instructions-for-returning-equipment-for-discon...

Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 53 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Roxie, have you been having some trappiste by name of Pavel Kwak? (superb Belgian beer with 18%, This looked like a good spot to set speakers 2dimensional corner. Casual and ivory ;)
Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 35 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Unless you're a victim of the Viasat-1 refactoring debacle (https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/viasat-1-customers-under-attack). In that case, the early termination fees seem to be waived, as was the case when I cancelled my service last week.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 440 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Why are so many ex customers still interested in participating on here?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Nathan Hart

If valid remarks that assist...that's good.  If hammering away, that's not an unique behavior...they like to "get satisfaction"  after they leave.

@CO "$15 for every remaining month in your minimum service term..."

but it might be cheaper to put your account on Viasat Hibernation Plan for six months, and save $30.00, then terminate.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Most would typically wind up paying $30 more since the equipment lease fee is also incurred on hibernation if applicable (some prepay lease fees when signing up); not to mention taxes are most likely also applicable during hibernation.

There may also be no early termination fee if a subscriber opted out of the two year commitment by paying an additional $300 up front.

In addition, Viasat may waive early termination fees.

There are always exceptions, this horse is dead. Since we insist on continuing to beat it and split hairs... until canceled, the customer agreement continues on a month to month basis after any applicable minimum service term.

Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Nathan, It is because we want to save people from flushing their money down the toilet with Viasat. Unlike you who just comes here to belittle people some of us care about our fellow man. Also I personally do not like businesses that mislead and cheat people.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Then their page, Viasat Hibernation Plan, would be misleading to those on newer plans, and needs to be updated, imho.  Equipment lease fee was not mentioned yesterday when I looked. 

Of course, "equipment lease fee" represents an oppressor's concept, as based upon Wildblue days.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Nice try to duck for cover. Then provide them with feedback and accuse them of oppression as well as changing the page after you read it - I'm not interested in the issue.

But from the page you referenced (apparently still skimming without fully reading and also mentioned in the only document that really matter - the legal one, the customer agreement which hasn't changed since January 15)

Details and Restrictions

Fees: You will be charged a $9.99 monthly fee while you are on the Hibernation Plan. This fee replaces the monthly service fee on your regular Viasat Internet plan. You are still responsible for the monthly equipment lease fee (if applicable) and the fees for any other services you may have through Viasat, such as Voice. If you prepaid your equipment lease fee, the months during which you are on the Hibernation Plan will continue to be applied against your prepaid equipment lease fee.

(Edited)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 991 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
Jab, how would you word it?

Under the fees and restrictions section of the page you linked:

Fees: You will be charged a $9.99 monthly fee while you are on the Hibernation Plan. This fee replaces the monthly service fee on your regular Viasat Internet plan. You are still responsible for the monthly equipment lease fee (if applicable) and the fees for any other services you may have through Viasat, such as Voice. If you prepaid your equipment lease fee, the months during which you are on the Hibernation Plan will continue to be applied against your prepaid equipment lease fee.
I ask because we know the person that updates these pages, and they are always looking to make things easier to understand.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Seems pretty clear to me. However, you might want to have them change it to:

You are still responsible for the oppressive monthly equipment lease fee (if applicable)

And shame on you for having that person change it after Jab read it! Oh, wait, my bad... you didn't... the wayback machine shows it's read that way since at least May 2015...

https://web.archive.org/web/20150530043758/https://www.exede.com/hibernation-plan/

(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
However Jab will undoubtedly counter with the Eligibility paragraph should be changed... as he picks yet another nit although he claimed Equipment lease fee wasn't mentioned, that re-branding will haunt you forever despite being accurate in the customer agreement. Let my people go!
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Bring back the Mega Deal!

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

VS has had one day to make corrections...they do read content in other forum...as I noted in this thread here previously, "Equipment lease fee was not mentioned yesterday when I looked ," as I recall, and as I cited over there (Yesterday 11:07 am).

@ Matt B,

Eligibility, imho, needs a rewrite, and imho, being realistic in speech and action are most important.

There is no such thing as a "free cellphone, "free install,"  or a free lunch.

Equipment cost x dollars, and install cost x dollars.  I understand compensation, and I understand install/equipment cost upfront can be a deterrent to acquiring new customers.  DBS/Cellphone businesses increased sales greatly with the "free" word.

Imho, plan prices should reflect this compensation for say two years, and then the user would experience a price drop, for being a loyal customer (marketing speak).

On another topic, environmental, consider this tidbit:

Shell to quit U.S. refining lobby over climate disagreement

LONDON (Reuters) - Royal Dutch Shell on Tuesday became the first major oil and gas company to announce plans to leave a leading U.S. refining lobby due to disagreement on climate policies.....The review is part of Shell’s drive to increase transparency and show investors it is in line with the 2015 Paris climate agreement’s goals to limit global warming by reducing carbon emissions to a net zero by the end of the century.
=====================

So, from an environmental perspective, is VS's equipment return policy inline with environmental stewardship, or marketing profits?

When I converted from Wildblue to Exede-5, the installer only took the TRIA, which was about one year old.  I see nothing wrong here since it could be used again, but the modem and power brick were not taken...which most likely most end up in landfills, not recycled.

If customers are required to return equipment, all electronic equipment should be the policy, imho.  The freight bill is peanuts more.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 991 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
I don't see how any of that applies to the hibernation plan wording in the page you linked.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I used the expression "On another topic," for environmental speak.  I addressed your question from my perspective, which included other aspects.  One person's gold is another person's junk.  Video example: One Man's Trash

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Except of course wayback suggests otherwise and your "cites" as we know are always taken out of context as you skim them over and provide a summary. Nadler wants the full report.

I wouldn't know what you say in the other forum since the "I miss the old forum" feature is available over there. In fact, I haven't seen a new post in the other forum since Bobbin's of March 5 - not that I'm missing much as we segue into the green new deal. I nominate Jab for Viasat webmaster.

Apparently GetSatisfaction has that feature since mentioned in other GetSatisfaction communities... perhaps the moderators can enable it.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
To answer Nathan's question, I sure don't miss this old site, but it is still good for entertainment value reading the have and have nots, and then the far, far outs.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
It would be great if the haves would stop oppressing the have nots...

The stark contrast between the haves and have-nots has always existed but in a bandwidth recession the injustices become more painful. Viasat, let my people go!

A history and origin of the phrase will be forthcoming, I fear.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
That would be the far, far outs!
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 53 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Let his critters go~~