Id like to know why and when my plan suddenly no longer has a free zone..very disappointed

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
free zone no longer on my plan
Photo of Janis Jackson

Janis Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • angry and disappointed

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
What plan are you on?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 368 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
I thought the free zone was grandfathered in as long as you didn't change plans, are they taking that away now also? When I had Viasat my plan had a free zone from 12am - 5am.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I'm on the Liberty 12 plan and it still shows a 3AM-6AM Free Zone.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1610 Posts
  • 937 Reply Likes
I am curious about this to. Did you upgrade or change plans? Why dont you think the free zone no longer exists?
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
And how would you know if it were active? I can remember a time when we all were lobbying for an indicator on the modem status or account page telling us it was in fact active at any point in time (due largely to starting later than it should have and incurring a data hit). Of course I never complained when it was consistently an hour late in stopping... perhaps that's why they never implemented the indicator, everbody would have known about that one ;)
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1610 Posts
  • 937 Reply Likes
Talk about an hour late. Mine with at least 30 or 45 minutes early.

Yep. An indicator would make this obvious!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
I am on Liberty 12.  My account shows that I still have the free zone from 3 am to 6 am.   What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle? 
Photo of Stan N Dorothy

Stan N Dorothy

• 26 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
A d here is just one more reason why I will no longer use this crooked company....bait....n....switch
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 319 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
You don't know that yet. Allow the OP to answer the questions asked before jumping to conclusions.

FWIW, there are Liberty Plans (the original ones) that have no free zone also and folks weren't automatically upgraded to one that does when they were introduced. Many assumed they automatically got a free zone on if on a legacy Liberty plan but you needed to explicitly change plans to get one. Viasat has never automatically switched plans, however they have changed the terms of a plan and the agreement we signed gives them that right regardless of whether we view it as good business practice but hardly bait and switch.   If the account page says you have one, you have one.

There's been no change to the legal documents yet, which would occur concurrent with a change in terms. Free zone specifics are under the data allowance policy document.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1589 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Ah. The legal documents. Which basically gives a company all rights and the consumer few. That just isnt Viasat. Got to love the legal documents since people will sue for just about anything.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1021 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Official Response
Janis,

The only way free zone would be taken away is if you had changed to a plan that does not offer it.  Have you changed your plan recently?  What plan were you on before, and which one do you have now?

If you need account specific answers, email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account info.
Photo of Janis Jackson

Janis Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no..have had the same account package for 10 yrs.  always was able to download my big updates after midnight and before 4 am...now..just no free zone. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Send the email Matt B suggested above. Something's not adding up... Exede Plans having a Free  Zone weren't available until 2012. 
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 124 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Janis, you can log in to your account and it should describe whether your plan has a free zone or not. Are you on a Classic or Liberty Plan? I believe those are the only ones that have a free zone.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Classic: 0000 through 0500
Basic 12, Basic 25, Essential 10 and Evolution: 0300 - 0800 
Liberty with a Free Zone: 0300 - 0600

Some early Liberty didn't have a free zone and you had to switch plans to get it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1605 Posts
  • 936 Reply Likes
Before Liberty there was Evolution.

That didn't work so well.

Just imagine. When Viasat (Exede) came out in 2012 they offered plans of 7.5, 15, and 25GB. Not even a free zone. For the most part, the same hardware is still in place. They use smoke and mirrors to deliver more data today, buy at its root it is still a satellite that is soon 8 years old.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
I made powdered eggs today.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1605 Posts
  • 936 Reply Likes
You think you are in M.A.S.H. unit or something?