I did *NOT* use 800MB in one day...

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

I screwed up the first week of November and went over my limit, so I had to go almost three weeks at slow-speed, which is fine because as I said *I* screwed up.

Thing is, my service went back to normal yesterday and the usage meter says I've already used 800MB. There's simply no way that's correct. I live on a pittance of a disability check, so I'm normally extremely cautious about what I do online so that I *DON'T* use up my monthly limit because this is an extravagance I can barely afford.

I downloaded three files yesterday - 125MB+73MB+28MB=226MB

I have my e-mail setup so that no mail downloads to my system that is larger than 200Kb, and the average mail size I get is ~10Kb and I get *maybe* 30 e-mails/day.

*ALL* the forums I belong to I have images and any animations blocked so that I *don't* have to worry about those using up my limit also (I'm on 3 forums).

I go to usually 6 different websites three to four times daily and have been doing so for years and have never had a problem with them using up any kind of bandwidth that would eat up anything more than a few MB's/day.

I use the Late Night freebie thing almost exclusively for downloading pretty much anything and everything (those downloads yesterday I *needed* at the time because I'd just recently don'e an upgrade of my Slackware).

I also use Linux and I have it set up that nothing goes out or comes in without my approval, so it's not a virus or malware or any of the crap that affects such useless OS's as Microslop.

Is there anyone who can look into this for me and/or figure out what's going on, please? I've just installed an app to record any downloads of *any* kind (including just websurfing and page loading etc) and adds it all up in a 24 hour period.

Thanks much for looking into this and any assistance,

John
Photo of Fritz Thegato

Fritz Thegato

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 27 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I too suffered the same fate a few cycles ago.  My problem was that I used NORTON 360 backup to backup what I thought was a SMALL portion of my data.  After a lengthy conversation with the HELP desk it seems that their measuring tool has somewhat of a LAG in developing their report.  Even though my account says that monthly GB allocation resets on the 20th of the month I've noticed this being reset on the 19th?  It would also be nice to see WHAT is driving the useage up - my network is secured and thus only my equipment and those of our house guests - which I constantly have to ask NO VIDEOS, no FACETIME, no streaming music ...?  One other thing I haven't got a handle on is we have two iPads which apparently now with the new OS will automatically get updates.  If only Wildblue/Exede would develop a better tool that could not reduce the LAG time in their report (maybe an hour at the most) and also provide details such as Upload, Download, Video streaming, Facetime, ...
This XMAS I will be adding three more Kindle Fire HD's to this network - I'll have to closely watch how much this adds to this mix.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just understand that the Kindle, at least as far as I can tell, does not have a way to do updates at a particular time of day. Also, the first update to it was a pretty big one (at least it was when we got ours a year ago).  Not slighting the Kindle, we love it along with our ipad, just be aware...

Edit: forgot to say, generally the ipad app updates (non operating system) usually wait until you aren't using it much and not much activity.  io7 updates usually ask if you want to do it, sometimes not.
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Greg, I will be happy to help.  We do have some new tools available to us that allows us to see what type of usage is being reported. Please email me your telephone number and the best time to call to exedelistens@viasat.com.   Also, just a heads up, we found out that there is no way to turn off automatic updates on the kindle, and many users have found that those updates have used a significant amount of their monthly data allowance.  The only way to stop those updates is to completely turn off the wifi.  Thanks!
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
John, I saw that you posted this in the old forum as well and the Exede Lizz already responded.  Again, just email us at exedelistens@viasat.com and I am sure we can provide some answers.  Thanks!   
Photo of Fritz Thegato

Fritz Thegato

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Apparently someone did something on Exede's end and stopped it from going ape-guano with my usage.

Unfortunately no one called and no one has offered me any of the 1.9GB back that got stolen from me (I told them that I rarely get a signal for my cellphone out here where I am and that I have no land-line, so the least someone could have done was send an e-mail). I guess I'm just supposed to be happy that it's fixed and forget about anything that went wrong and overlook anything that got taken from me that I'm spending what little I earn to have.

Reminds me of how the government works.
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Fritz, I did email you asking for a telephone number you could be reached at, as we can't discuss account specific information over the forum or on email.  I am happy to hear that you are no longer experiencing issues.  If you want to email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with a telephone number and the best time to call, I will be happy to help.  
Photo of Fritz Thegato

Fritz Thegato

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I replied with a time and number to that e-mail. No one called, no one e-mailed after I replied. Also, it wasn't from an 'no-reply' address I got the e-mail from, but was from an exedelistens e-mail address, so a 'reply' from me should have gone right back at whomever had sent that e-mail to me.

Anyway, I doubt I'm going to get anything back (as in MB's or GB's) without me going back and forth arguing or fighting and trying to prove I'm not a liar and I just don't want to do that on someone elses phone and my only transportation is my motorcycle so bundling up every time I'd need to 'call back' or something would simply be a PITA (riding in the winter isn't easy! heh).
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi Fritz, the email that I got from you did not have a telephone number or account number.  I would be more than happy to speak with you about your account and help find a resolution.  Just send me an email with the information I requested and the best time to call.  Thanks!
Photo of Fritz Thegato

Fritz Thegato

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
And what did I say my last post? That I'd be arguing back and forth. Here's why right off the bat - I *DID* give a time and number to call and no one asked me to also send my account number! Here's the reply to my first post from Exede and my reply to that e-mail:

-----
(The e-mail reply to my original post):

<b>From: "customercare@viasat.com" <customercare@viasat.com>
To: "me@gmail.com" <me@gmail.com>
Subject: Case # 00087518 regarding your  Account ref:_00D70K0Rw._50070Y0wXy:ref
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 21:45:12 +0000 (GMT)

>     John,
>      
>     Thank you for contacting Exede.  I am sure I can help you.  In order to do
> so, I would need to speak with you on the telephone.  Can you please email your
> telephone number and the best time to call to exedelistens@viasat.com.  Thanks!</b>
> Description: I screwed up the first week of November and went over my limit, so I
> had to go almost three weeks at slow-speed, which is fine because as I said *I*
> screwed up. Thing is, my service went back to normal yesterday and the usage meter
> says I've already used 800MB. There's simply no way that's correct. I live on a
> pittance of a disability check, so I'm normally extremely cautious about what I do
> online so that I *DON'T* use up my monthly limit because this is an extravagance I
> can barely afford. I downloaded three files yesterday - 125MB+73MB+28MB=226MB I
> have my e-mail setup so that no mail downloads to my system that is larger than
> 200Kb, and the average mail size I get is ~10Kb and I get *maybe* 30 e-mails/day.
> *ALL* the forums I belong to I have images and any animations blocked so that I
> *don't* have to worry about those using up my limit also (I'm on 3 forums). I go
> to usually 6 different websites three to four times daily and have been doing so
> for years and have never had a problem with them using up any kind of bandwidth
> that would eat up anything more than a few MB's/day. I use the Late Night freebie
> thing almost exclusively for downloading pretty much anything and everything
> (those downloads yesterday I *needed* at the time because I'd just recently don'e
> an upgrade of my Slackware). I also use Linux and I have it set up that nothing
> goes out or comes in without my approval, so it's not a virus or malware or any of
> the crap that affects such useless OS's as Microslop. Is there anyone who can look
> into this for me and/or figure out what's going on, please? I've just installed an
> app to record any downloads of *any* kind (including just websurfing and page
> loading etc) and adds it all up in a 24 hour period. Thanks much for looking into
> this and any assistance, John
>     Sincerely,
>     ViaSat Customer Care
>      
>     ref:_00D70K0Rw._50070Y0wXy:ref
>      

(My e-mail reply to the above. Note the time and number I put down, 'X's' to hide my number in this public forum)

To: "customercare@viasat.com" <customercare@viasat.com>
Subject: Re: Case # 00087518 regarding your  Account ref:_00D70K0Rw._50070Y0wXy:ref
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:25:08 -0600

I only have a cellphone and I live far out in the country so talking on it is
  very, very spotty, but we can try.

<b>Call anytime between 9AM and noon if possible. The number is 7XX-X3X-1X2X</b>

Thank you,

John
-----

As I said, this is done because someone there is going to call me a liar and the fit will hit the shan. After only giving praise about my experiences thus far, the one time in the many months I've been using Exede that something screws up and I get told I *didn't* do something when I clearly did, doesn't sit well with me.

Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
John, I certainly am not calling you a liar, and I am very sorry if you felt that way.  Thank you for posting the email as I was able to locate it.  I have just sent you another email.  Again I am very sorry for any miscommunication of my intent.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.