Trouble with Free Zone

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

I can't do anything on the internet and neither can my husband because if we both try to use Wildblue we go over our usage every month. I am sick and tired of having to wait till 12 to do anything. And by the way that's when Wildblue does all their maintenance work also so a lot of the time you can't even get on the internet during the free time of 12-5... I am stuck with this crap of a company and believe me when I say I want to say much worse verbage but I'll keep it clean cause it's the only high speed available in my area. Otherwise we have to use dial-up which I am also having to keep, pay for, and use each month. My husband uses the dial-up until 12 and I use Wildblue. And we still go over our usage. All I do is check emails, and facebook. I refuse to pay for more gb cause that's just a joke. Lord I pray I get a high speed company in my area soon. I've checked everywhere, no one has it.
Photo of Donna Chandler Goad

Donna Chandler Goad

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Facebook uses a lot of data for games and video. There is an option in facebook (under the little tiangle at the top right of the screen, then under video on the left  - turn auto play off. If you do not FB will download every video on every FB page you visit even if you don't want to watch the video.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Bev,  Thank you for providing data usage tips for Facebook.  We appreciate your help.
Photo of William

William

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :) Videos use up data, A LOT!
Photo of mudd274

mudd274

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Im on face book at least 8 hours out of each day but I dont play any of the games. I also surf the net with facebook opened in 1 window and surf the net in another. I dont use utube. I use about 3-4 GBs per month. In the beginning I was using alot of my allowance because my computer, cellphone, Smart Tv and my tablet were constantly updating or backing up stuff to the Cloud account..........Make sure your cellphone, computers/laptops or tablets are not backing stuff up. I didnt know about these things until I was using up my allowance. After I made sure none of these were backing stuff up or updating, I havent had a problem. My Ipad was the main data eater. I didnt know it was set to back up to the "Cloud".......lol
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Mudd274,  These are also great tips for our customers to utilize!  Thanks for sharing ways to maximize your data.  Your help is appreciated.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Donna,  

You are a valued customer and we want to make sure you are happy with your service.  The LNFZ should not be the only time you can use your service.  The customers above have provided some great tips to consider for making sure you get the most out of your data plan.  If you would like me to provide additional information as to how your data is being used, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Photo of William

William

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
if you are using windows, Turn off Automatic Updates, then, turn it on and let your computer update at 12. :)  I did this with my dads computer. Mine, I just Dont download any updates until 12, I am pretty much a night owl ;)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
If you have Windows 8, you also need to set it to METERED, otherwise the app icons on the home screen continually update and, use data. With earlier versions of Windows, you can set updates to run during the free zone, or if you are a WildBlue (legacy) customer, turn them off and, run them manually only when you have plenty of data for the next 30 days.

You will also want to use a flash blocker, or if you use the Firefox browser, set Adobe Flash and any other video extensions to ASK TO ACTIVATE. I tested it - last month let them run at will, including face book. At 10 days remaining I had used 64% of my allowance. This month blocking them all I have used 10.6 % of my allowance. Huge difference, and I have allowed the specific videos IO want to see, so blocking them from loading does make a difference. At this rate I will be downloading a rather large game the last day of my cycle and not have to worry about it being the free zone or not.

All stuff I already knew, but I wanted to get the numbers to see just how big a difference it would make for the sites I visit - giant difference.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I have found that there are an enormous number of people who really don't know at first how exactly data gets used up...I didn't myself when I first signed up for a satellite internet provider..my allowance was at first  used up in no time and I had to learn what was going on to use all that data, since it was mostly stuff going on that I couldn't see and wasn't really aware was happening.  Since the problem with lack of knowledge about sources of data usage is SO common, I would suggest that Exede make up a checklist of what uses up data, and suggestions on how to curb this or at least links to more info on each item, and give this to every new customer.  I know there is some info in the knowledge database online, but I think there are a lot of people that need to start with really basic info,. with no assumptions of prior knowledge about data usage..this would have helped me.  And I think this is very important because I see so many posts from people who get angry and frustrated and think they are being cheated in some way.  You just can't assume people know how data usage works or even really know where to start to learn about this and how they can manage the usage better.  I am very appreciative of all the info about this on this forum, but think it would be even better to get people started with this info as soon as they sign up for Exede Internet, before they run into problems.
Photo of Billy Hearnsberger

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Are you actually suggesting that the company offer what would be real "customer service"?
Can someone tell me if  a Chromebook is a data hog because Customer Service claims anything and everything is a data hog..
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I would imagine a chromebook might be more or less of a hog depending on what certain settings are.  I just learned that with chrome there is a setting you can select to stop videos on web pages I load from auto starting...now that helps chrome be less of a hog.  I also read recently that if you regularly empty your cache that helps reduce data usage.  I just googled to try to get you some answers about your chromebook..here is a link to a forum that discusses this and another link that supposedly tells you a way to track your data usage on chromebook:  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/dbtJGIY5LEk
http://www.thechromebookforum.com/forum/chrome-os-apps/471-app-track-data-usage.html
I also found info about a google app that will supposedly reduce your data usage on mobile devices: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reduce-data-usage-increase-speed-with-chrome-extension/
I bet the chromebook forums are a better place to look for the answer to your question.

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks Lorrie...You need to go to work for Exede in customer service...
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
A lot of the Google apps on Android phones and tablets (and I would guess Chromebooks) make use of Google cloud services.  If you are signed up for these, your data will be stored in the cloud.  If you install a few hundred photos, videos or MP3s on your device you may just be uploading/downloading these in the background. You can blow through gigabytes in a couple of hours, if this is the case.

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
How can i make sure that is not happening?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Billy - I don't have a Chromebook and don't use the cloud stuff, so can only speak with limited knowledge.  If you use Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Spreadsheet, etc. make sure that you don't have any type of auto update enabled and be aware that even if you only use manual updates, it still is Internet data usage.

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
okay..thx
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
also I was reading in the stuff I found online that a lot of chromebook users make sure to do downloads when they are in wifi free areas...good trick..go get lunch at some place with wifi and do your downloads there.

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
To my knowledge I don't do downloads but I'm not sure what that is... 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.