I was told they would have unlimited to offer me for 99.99 a month by Feb 2017, ITS NOT AN OPTION and its Feb 2017! Surprise SURPRISE!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
ANYONE else out there HATE exede internet?? I was told they would have unlimited to offer me for 99.99 a month by Feb 2017, GUESS WHAT? ITS NOT AN OPTION and its Feb 2017! Surprise SURPRISE!
Photo of Brandy Woodard Garcia

Brandy Woodard Garcia

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • PISSED OFF!

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Brendan

Brendan

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I hate all the satellite internet providers. They charge you more or the same money as cable and provide you 80% less then service then the cable company. Live in a Rural area, THEY GOT YOU.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 937 Posts
  • 568 Reply Likes
It's an ISP of last resort.  It costs more to start, operate and maintain.  It has a throughput that is minute compared to cable.  Offering less and charging more isn't by choice.   Don't you think if they could offer the same for the same they would?  They would surely have a LOT more business.

Photo of Dexter Lumen

Dexter Lumen

• 65 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
That's not true. The reason for abysmal caps and speed is that they've overloaded the connection to maximize their profits. It's the same reason they've started blocking sites when out of data, why give people a reasonable service when you can charge them the same amount for barely functioning internet.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 544 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
That's a whole different argument than whether they (or any sat internet) can offer unlimited service. I'll agree they (and Hughsnet) have oversold and overloaded their service. Wildblue was just about unusable during busy times by the time Exede came along.

As far as unlimited data, though, I'd be willing to bet it's not happening on the new sat either.

What was cool was for a little while after I got on Exede almost four years ago there wasn't that many people on it, they weren't enforcing the data limits and it was fast, around 20 Mbps downloads, sometimes faster. It was great while it lasted.
(Edited)
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
It's still better than Hughesnet. There have been some snags in Exede's plans because there was a launch failure for a satellite and they are waiting for the company that launches them to get around to doing it. Getting a satellite in to space is no easy feat.
And Brendan, yeah, they do tend to gouge people in rural areas because there aren't many other options. Until Exede came along, I was stuck with Hughesnet. They had the worst customer service I've ever dealt with and their internet service barely worked. And where I live, there is tax on the equipment leasing fee. Wish I could just buy the equipment outright-- I've probably actually paid the entire cost of it in lease fees over the years by now. Taxes just went up too, so it's 11% where I live.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 958 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
The grass isn't always greener.  
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 836 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
just to let ya know. exede wouldnt say that kind of unlimited stuff. if so then youve mustve talked to the wrong person. like a different company. if ya DID then did ya document it??? if not then there is no proof of you having a converation of them saying unlimited data. sorry but its the truth... if ya have ACTUAL proof of them like recording there voices saying it then i want to see it. if not then... stop complaining and live with it for crying out loud... -.- imma tired of people saying they where told unlimited data WHICH its not exede. so there (i wont say anymore as imma mad already for people saying that kind of stuff -.- )
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2248 Posts
  • 1947 Reply Likes
Do NOT get Tirzy mad. I mean, just look at his avatar!  ...( Hi Tirzy)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
I think this might have been a mix of an agent making an assumption on our launch date and a misunderstanding or speculation of what's being offered with ViaSat 2. At this time we don't have details on the plans as far as limits or pricing is concerned. But we do know once ViaSat 2 is launched we're doubling ALL of our bandwidth that we have now. As a result we will be able to see more robust plans and plans that will be more suitable for things like streaming. 

Our launch date is set to happen in March or April, as we get closer we'll be able to narrow down a launch date (keep in mind this requires launching a rocket into space so things like weather, lots of math and conditions are all needing to be figured out). Once launched we have to establish connection with the satellite and do a few things before we can see the perks and open the floodgates. 

We did have plans to do this last summer but due to setbacks with our original carrier (rocket exploded causing massive delays) we had to do this new date. 

Unlike a cable or DSL provider that can continuously pump data by building more core nodes, trunks ect a few blocks away from customers, Satellite internet requires a new satellite any time expansion is needed and that's largely why data limits exist because we have a finite amount of data to spread among all our customers. It's our hope for ViaSat 2 and for future launches to provide plans that reflect how most customers use their internet service. 

Stay tuned! we're probably not far from making some announcements! 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
yeah...just shows the double/triple post curse hits us too
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 836 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
oh ok i didnt know :3 
Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Brad,

I'm wondering if they will still offer the LNFZ with the new satellite?  The LNFZ is why I stay with Exede.  Otherwise Hughesnet would be offering twice the data for less than half the cost. 
Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Also, I read that it will take them till the end of 2017 to get the new satellite going and roll out plans?  Do you know how long that process takes?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
I don't think so. The goal is to offer plans where a LNFZ isn't needed.
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 96 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
There will never be unlimited satellite. Thank god soon I'll be having wired broadband and goodbye to Exede.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.