I think Viasat should never have said anything about the new satellite..

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I actually believe that had Viasat not said anything about a new satellite going online they would have been a lot better off that the current situation. I still have the Evolution Plan with free time from 3-8 am..no plans currently offered, and they are minimal, make any sense from a performance or financial perspective..have had no 25 mb plans offered.. as I had mentioned in an older post, the absolute worst thing that any business can do to its customers is to over-promise and under-deliver.. you can see how this affects the current subscriber base..I firmly believe that this type of broadband delivery suffers from obvious unfair comparisons..i.e. faster download speeds and greater band limits that can never be achieved when compared to fiber optic etc..I am currently waiting to see how the fixed wireless internet service offered from ATT as a stand-alone product plays out..as mentioned before ATT can see the potential rural base of internet customers just waiting for an alternative to what is currently offered, namely satellite. I only have one offering and that is Viasat unlimited (100gb) for 145.00 plus tax - that is cost prohibitive for me as well as many others. ATT fixed wireless is 160gb for 60.00 plus tax with minimum downloads of 10 mbs..we'll see what happens..I am a patient man..
Photo of elchicano65 .

elchicano65 .

• 21 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 295 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Have you noticed they are selling to private business like airlines or the government? We aren't exactly the priority and won't be the money maker. They are trying to secure their future before all of the LEO's and we aren't the money maker. This also is not broadband. Broadband is a legally defined service. Broadband is 25 mbps at a minimum and not upto 25 mbps.
Photo of elchicano65 .

elchicano65 .

• 21 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hey Ron..I made a similar comment on another blog about being far down the food chain and the responses I received focused on the notion that I should be grateful to have any internet access, so I let it drop but I see that you have picked up on how Viasat, as a business, has to prioritize their offerings and lock-in long term contracts. Again, I am seriously on the verge of signing up with the ATT offering I had mentioned..
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 442 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
RE: "Broadband is a legally defined service"

Do note, "...the FCC clearly saw the lack of logic in equating mobile connections and fixed broadband."  Viasat's satellites are not considered "fixed," and FCC may change this standard...I'm not current on this topic.

FCC report keeps faster definition of broadband and separates mobile from fixed connections
Posted Jan 18, 2018

I have no idea what 25Mbps down, and 3Mbps up mean via FCC speak.  Does it mean a sustained speed during primetime, or as based upon a weighted sampling over 24 hours?

Further, its rather doubtful ISPs without content providers like Netflix Open Connect
within their system could fare well during peak loads, despite having fiber to the door (FTTH).  I'm speaking of rural Telcos here.  But, they could have 100Mbps speeds, at their test server, plus cable TV channels and phone service available.

Also note: FCC's  Broadband Speed Guide - Speeds are based on running one activity at a time.

Ronald Stricklin

• 295 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
It's not based on a weighted sampling. It's not based on potential speeds. As a standard broadband is 25 mbps meaning that below that speed it's not broadband. Viasat is considered "Fixed" due to its lack of mobility. A rural telco with fiber to premises will fair well during peak load times. Rural telco's with dsl speeds of 1.5 mbps likely won't.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 442 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
RE: "As a standard broadband is 25 mbps meaning that below that speed it's not broadband."

3/7/17 - HughesNet Claims First FCC Broadband Defined 25 Mbps Satellite Broadband Service

I've searched, and can't find FCC's specifics

RE: rural telco

They have to buy "backbone" bandwidth...no free lunch here...which means generally for rural telcos, most users' requests (web, stream, ftp) are fetched outside of their system.

I haven't had a conversation with people on rural FTTH, but someday I will.  I know of one rural telco with a cable franchise also, and people in town suggests it slows down during primetime, so you have to buy a higher package to stream.  Min package is 10/1Mbps, which should be fine for streaming, except 4K.

Ronald Stricklin

• 295 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I'd love go thru the long rant to point out all of the ways you are wrong.. No wait I wouldn't. So I won't.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 442 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
RE: "Viasat is considered "Fixed"

The FCC splits broadband providers into two groups: wireless and fixed (also sometimes called ‘wireline’)
Under Pai, the FCC proposes the following:

A new wireless broadband definition (10Mbps down, 1Mbps up), with the wired standard unchanged.
    Broadband availability determined based on wireless or wireline service, not wireline alone.
============

FCC Document: In the Matter of
Inquiry Concerning Deployment of Advanced
Telecommunications Capability to All Americans
in a Reasonable and Timely Fashion
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 442 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
RE: "broadband is 25 mbps meaning"

I have no idea if these questions have been addressed via FCC, nor am I aware of FCC's original definition of 25Mbps down.  A notice of inquiry allows industry and consumers to speak to FCC...FCC is saying "what do you think," before they make a rule(s).

Released: August 8, 2017

NOTICE OF INQUIRY

Framework for Updating Benchmarks

24. For the fixed broadband speed benchmark in particular, we seek comment on whether there should be a relationship between the benchmark and what some fraction of subscribers are actually purchasing. Would a reasonable speed benchmark for fixed broadband be based on the mean or median speed purchased by consumers? Or, would it be more consistent with the idea of “advanced” telecommunications capability to select a benchmark which fewer consumers purchase?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3650 Posts
  • 2129 Reply Likes
I second Ronald post above :)

I sure do miss the block button from the old forum :(. Can't we get it back!!!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
He just goes on and on....Does he get paid for every Google search he copy and pastes?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2291 Posts
  • 1150 Reply Likes
We have a name for people like Jab in the Delorean community.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
It's sad when we look forward to Ronald's posts....

Ronald Stricklin

• 295 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Jab your quite annoying. The FCC under Pai was considering lowering broadband's definition to 10 mbps. They chose not to https://www.houstonchronicle.com/techburger/article/FCC-keeps-definition-of-broadband-at-25-Mbps-125...
The significance of the FCC defining broadband goes to the FCC's policing powers related to false advertisement. You are aware of this function aren't you?  Your multiple pastes of information you copied along with your multiple comments suggest that you have no fundamental understanding of the discussion you have chosen to undertake. Such as the significance of the FCC broadband definition or the issues of Rural isp's. It would be simply tiring to go thru the effort of correcting your statements at every turn so that's why I won't. And Jim I'm just so happy to have you as a fan.
Photo of Sarah Trimble

Sarah Trimble

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
AT&T abandoned our neighborhood a few years ago. They don't care about us at all. Honestly, the satellite performs better for us so far even in terms of latency than what we were getting with them. Comcast is available on the next street over but has made no attempt to expand to include us in their coverage. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2291 Posts
  • 1150 Reply Likes
Amen. AT&T is hit or miss for us rural customers. My "up to" 12 mbps plan actually performs better than the 18 mbps plan I had when I was on AT&T.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
It's hard when you're a publicly traded company not to mention the fact that you have a new satellite that cost hundreds of millions of dollars!
Our residential customers are a very big part of our business, and offering the best service possible to people who are underserved by terrestrial providers is a big focus for Viasat. 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Alex, I know it gets lost in the very nature of this Forum, but you and I know that hundred of thousands of people are grateful that Viasat does offer the best service possible.  And in the world of satellite  internet, Viasat is the best.
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Amen Jim16
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Thanks gents! 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Even though we like Lizzie more.  :)

Ronald Stricklin

• 288 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Yes Alex thank you so much and your corporate entity. If not for Viasat I would be on a Hughesnet forum thanking them for the superior service they offer to rural undeserved areas at such a low discount. You and Viasat are just very humanitarian and such.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
"I would be on a Hughesnet forum"

Man, that sounds nice!

Ronald Stricklin

• 288 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Well Jim, since viasat is good, wholesome, and humanitarian I'm here.