Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
I saw the Joker. And it brilliant! Will get multiple Oscar nominations. Rambo wont get one.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Joker is a purely fictional character. The latest Rambo film is based on a horrible practice that is going on right now.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 130 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
It was great seeing Rambo wipe out a Mexican drug/kidnapping cartel.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
If you dont think the Joker isn't a reflection of what is going on in society today, you have no idea what it is about.

I dont even watch superhero movies. Thankfully this isnt one.

But dont believe me. One movie has a 9.1 Rotten Tomatoes rating. The other? Not even a 7.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2258 Posts
  • 1381 Reply Likes
It's been a long time since I've gone to a theater.  I may watch the Rambo film when it comes on one of the pay movie channels, but I will most definitely watch Joker.  A movie that talked about has to be seen.  Still, I don't expect the character to be as good as Heath Ledger's, but, from what I read, Joaquin Phoenix did a great job.

There are very few examples of what I would call perfectly played characters, but Ledger's Joker is one of them.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Human trafficking and slavery are real and are happening right now.

We live in a sad world where people would rather watch a show about a deranged clown than a show where a bad ass patriot takes out scum that treats innocent girls as if they were worthless objects.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Indeed we do. That is why the Joker movie is brillant. Art imitating life.

I must say, maybe they will get the Terminator right this time! Hasn't been a good one since T2.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2258 Posts
  • 1381 Reply Likes
James Cameron is involved with this one, so I'm hoping.  :)  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Amen. Every Terminator movie since T2 has been a joke.

Back To The Future might not be much, but Bob Gale had enough sense to vow to never allow another BTTF movie as long as he is alive. The trilogy is perfect just the way it is. Making another movie just for the sake of making money would only hurt the brand.

Bob Gale told me something several years ago that I’ll never forget. He made enough money off the first three movies to pay for his house. That was good enough for him and honestly, I think he’s worth $40 million anyway.

He’s a very humble guy more interested in protecting the integrity of his work rather than making more money.

It’s a shame George Lucas didn’t feel the same way about Star Wars.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1603 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
That and the fact there just are not many Deloreans left anymore.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
I’ve sold nearly 75 Delorean alternator tensioners this year. If Bob Gale wanted to make another BTTF movie he could. There is no shortage of DeLoreans.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1603 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
Have you seen the Delorean movie BTW?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
I know the guy who wrote Framing John Delorean. I watched it with him and several other Delorean owners at a screening earlier this year.

I enjoyed it and support Tamir who wrote and produced it, but Rambo was a much better film.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1603 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
I might try to catch it but it is fleeing theaters fast. Got to match room for crappy Disney movies and other fluff pieces.

At least this time of year there are a number of real movies worth going to see.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
It was certainly a different type of film and format.  I appreciated the effort he made to write and produce it, but I have a feeling most people from the outside don't/won't feel the same.

I'm not a fan of Alec Baldwin, but it is still pretty cool that Tamir managed to get a celebrity on such a tight budget.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 87 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I could look it up, but how much are tickets these days? The one screen theater 60 miles round-trip closed a couple years ago, heard they were about $5 at the end. I don't know how much the drive-in costs, bit farther, they usually show family stuff. Closest couple of screens are 150 miles round-trip.

17 years since I've been to one, maybe 5 or so total. Don't really have time to goof off like that. I see some when they hit tv, usually takes a couple days to get through a whole movie.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 358 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
I got you beat, the last movie I went to was The War of the Roses in 1989. The ironic thing is it was about a couple in a messy divorce who end up killing each other. I went with my wife and we got divorced the next year. I just don't have the attention span for 2-3 hours of fiction. I have no problem watching 2-3 hour documentaries or sporting events.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2245 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
The last film I saw in a theater was the third Lord of the Rings film, in 2003 or 2004.    
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Mine was Dances with Wolves - Thanksgiving Day 1990 as I recall. I used to only go to the theater on Thanksgiving when it was empty before the family gathering. Despite being nearly empty as luck would have it, some yute (as my cousin Vinny might say) had to sit behind me nervously kicking the seat back until I went all Rambo on him ;) Never again did I go to a theater...
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
As a note I think the same of you Brad and Matt.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
???
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2245 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
Wrong thread, maybe?  
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
I mean 2 of the 3 characters mentioned above I'm cool being compared to maybe
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Lol. No wasn’t comparing to characters. Was just posting on an unlocked thread. Thought it weird how my thread that was in many was positive to the experience of using Viasat got locked in mere hours while the pointless Rambo thread still rambles. I was totally done with it anyhow. Probably just a microcosm of the macrocosm that is Viasat.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Rambo don’t take $n!t from nobody.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Neither did James Bond, so they made him a woman.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2245 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
Not yet, but maybe.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
The nursing home edition is going to be amazing.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1603 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
Everybody knows Stallone this Rocky first! Rambo is just an alter ego.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1603 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
Now THAT movie is an underrated classic...if that can be said about a movie from one of the greatest directors in the history of cinema. 

Admiral Korbohuta

• 124 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Full Metal Jacket is a classic and one that would not be made today due to the politically incorrect dialogue. Today's snowflakes can't handle it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1603 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
Indeed.  Blazing Saddles anyone?

Admiral Korbohuta

• 124 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Hah! Blazing Saddles is even less politically correct. I'm surprised some movie channels still air it from time to time.