Data usage

• Problem
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
I paid $180 two days ago ,for 30 GB.....and now it's telling me iive used my data and am on a liberty pass!!! I've had to basically upgrade my service 3 times and now this!!!? We haven't even been home hardly!!! Wtf?
Photo of Alicia L. Stanley

Alicia L. Stanley

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • So mad!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Sharon Williams

Sharon Williams

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
THEY HAVE TAKEN EVERY ONES DATA! SAME THING LIBERTY PASS BS.THEY SHOW I'VE USED ALL OF MINE AT 12 GB. I HAVE A 27 GB PLAN THAT'S NOT EVEN ON THEIR WEBSITE ANY LONGER!
I was out of service for 3 days then off and on for a week due to an outage on their 'beam'. I barely use 17 gb a month. They are really screwed up!!!
Photo of THOMAS VITA

THOMAS VITA

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
put an ad blocker on your browser. stop all video auto play, and on hulu and netflix watch in crappy low res.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 273 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
I'm on liberty and have been for almost a year. I've been with Exede for almost 5 years.

I've done everything I possibly can to not use GB, including turn off my laptop's WiFi when I walk away.

And in only two out of the almost 60 months I've gone over my limit.

Before accusing anyone, including companies, of theft you should have some better evidence than ,"I only surf the web."

What have you done to test your belief that Excede is stealing from anyone?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3293 Posts
  • 3271 Reply Likes
Sharon,

So you have a single PC (desktop or laptop) connected directly to your modem via a cable?

If so what operating system does it run and what version (e.g , Windows 7, Windows 10, etc?)

There is a logical explanation for experiencing increased data usage when moving from Wildblue to Exede and some adjustments can be made to decrease what is undoubtedly unwanted usage occurring. I went through the same thing on switching from Wildblue to Exede, but need to know answers to the above.  
Photo of Sharon Williams

Sharon Williams

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks but I did NOT switch to Excede! I am WildBlue and on a plan not available through Excede. Why are people defending this ISP??? They have had major problems and it started with the outage on the NWest Coast which resulted in a service call.  The tech switched out the dish but not the modem. See my other responses. Nothing has changed from what I use. Its Excede.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3293 Posts
  • 3271 Reply Likes
Same questions apply when switching to a different plan, but appears you are simply interested in complaining so good luck with that.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

Sharon, have you actually looked at what is using data on your computer?

All you have is speculation and suspicion thus far. That and $1 will get you cup of coffee.

This is what my computer has used since 6am this morning. Notice that fully 1/3 of my usage was by background processes.

The lions share of my usage was caused by my web browser. Digging deeper it isn't hard to find the activity that chewed up the most data.

Things have changed all right ... on the internet.

Photo of Don Anderson Sr.

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
An alternative to Satellite Internet is being done by different university's, they are setting up unlimited 4-5G wireless systems at min. costs. You have to sign up for a free UN-accredited course which must be completed in a year.  Check your local colleges for system's. I'm now a student with a $35/mo unlimited 4-5G internet and no contract. 3 days to go and I'm out of here.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2575 Posts
  • 1586 Reply Likes
Brian is right. I have been with Wildblue and Exede since early 2008. I switched to Exede in April 2012, and had a Classic plan until Liberty became available a year or two back. I have never had any problems staying within my Priority data, and only went into the Pass a few times, that being over the holidays  when the kids were home and one other time when Windows 10 did their annual upgrade, which failed twice before finally upgrading successfully. My browsers all have AdBlock and flash deactivated. I also monitor my data with my router, and use Glasswire and Networx. Never have I seen the Exede meter show data consumption that was not in agreement with my monitoring sources. Computers and devices often will  be consuming your data without your knowledge or interaction. And then there are all the smart devices and appliances, smart TVs and those Dish and Directv DVRs that if allowed to connect to your internet will destroy your data allotment in only a few days. It isn't easy, but one has to be looking at their own network and plug the leaks.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 525 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
My laptop got stuck on a 3+ gig Win 10 update three or four months ago and DLed it at least three or four times (maybe more) before it stuck. My desktop about the same time would DL the update part way and then stop and eventually start over, I don't know how much it used all total and I'm not sure it ever finally finished that update. If these had been on Exede just these Win 10 updates would have used all my data for a couple months by themselves.
Photo of patuxent

patuxent

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Exede needs to bring their prices down especially since their service goes out every time it rains. Cellular companies are already offering unlimited data plans and for me and I'd guess a lot of other rural users download speed is not nearly as big an issue as the data limits. The internet is simply pushing too much data at the consumer for 20 or 30 gig limits to be practical and Exede's pricing is not competitive.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 331 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
I use the simple blue Exede router connected directly to one Win 7 PC via the a LAN cable. I  normally turn my modem off when I am not using the internet connection and I have never seen any unexpected data usage on the Exede meter.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Same here Markgc.  So far have never been in Liberty Pass. In fact have never been in Liberty Pass. I do YTD small ones. Post pictures on FB.  
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Oh forgot to mention just have Liberty 12.
Photo of Sharon Williams

Sharon Williams

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I was on the recovery stimulus plan with Wildblue which is like the basic Liberty Plan but only 10gb. Never used over the 10gb  but 3 times in 7 years, then bought more or they gave me more. Switched to what's called a commercial recovery plan 27gb and faster speed (HA!) back in Oct. for $69.95 a month. On 1.22.17 an outage in the Pacific Northwest and No CA. Now this insult of a 'plan' I was never on! I see everyone is hopping mad over their new plan and taking away data.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2154 Posts
  • 384 Reply Likes
Hi Sharon,  The Commercial Recovery Plan offers 3Mbps download speed and 300 Kbps upland speed with a total data allowance of 27 GB for both down+up.   
Photo of Sharon Williams

Sharon Williams

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
So why did I get that email saying I had the Liberty Plan??? What's going on?
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2154 Posts
  • 384 Reply Likes
Hi Alicia,  I will be happy to review your bill and your data.  Please send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com.

Alicia L. Stanley

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've already got a review going on...I'm waiting for a response. The guy at excede told me that I'd hear something in 1-3 days .Great...I've been with this company over a year and have never had this happen!! We actually just upgraded to the liberty 30 last month because we were usually running out AROUND the end of the month at 18 . We have one laptop that has been off for weeks and one tablet . There is no way that in two days we used 30 GB!!! No way....We weren't even home ion one of the days ! I can not afford $180 for two days of internet....Who could? I wish they had unlimited but they don't....If they don't fix it I'll just go to one of the other companies .We just got options out here.

Alicia L. Stanley

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Oh yeah....The guy at excede said my data was at ten percent and then spiked to 140@% in the same day....And that was Friday and we weren't even here!
Photo of Eddie Warner

Eddie Warner

• 9 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I love their health center at help.exede.net has a lot of big data saving tips, and there are starting to be more and more blogs about it too. I am working on right now one for my website . Just saying . Sorry about you 30 gigabytes
(Edited)
Photo of James

James

• 329 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I used all my data even unplugging the Ethernet cable from the back of the modem at late nite free zone and leaveing it off for several days, is this enough proof ?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.