iPhone using up data?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I just went 149% over on my upload ..what happened? I have a new iPhone is it the cause doing updates?
Photo of Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Yes, a new iPhone would do it. It needed software updates, those are often 2 to 5 GB, it also had to sync with iTunes and, if you use it iCloud. That can be a lot of data with music, video, movies, book, audio books, games, apps, etc that could have been downloaded form the cloud if they were not sotred in the computer you sync the phone with.

I know when my partner and I got new iPhones a few months ago, we went 7 GB over our allowance that month because of getting the phones updated, synced and, loaded with our stuff.

That iPhone will also use your WiFi for a lot, and will auto update if you leave WiFi ON in the phone settings. Again iPhone updates are often multiple GB so, be aware of that and, if you don't want it using your data, turn WiFi off in settings until you want to let it use your data.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Greg, I would be happy to verify your data usage based on your daily traffic, please send me your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com thank you.  

Here are some quick tips on how to maximize your data. 
http://viasat.force.com/kb/articles/General/Maximize-Your-Data
Photo of Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Fast response will wait for more info !
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
You can also see how much you used on which day yourself if you subscribe directly through Viasat (Not through Dish or DTV or another dealer.) Just go to the link below, log in using your account log in, accept the agreement and, give the info a few moments to load.

https://myesvt.exede.net/

It might help you to know which day(s) the most data was used if you recall what you did that day that might have used the data.