Connection trouble

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I have had exede for 2 months and am ready to quit. It is frustrating to lose connection every evening and every time there is a hint of cloud or moisture in the air.
I have had HughesNet before this and even though they do not have a late night free zone, the service is superior. Superior tools for keeping track of usage, superior uptime, and bandwidth tokens that roll over each month for those times when you need a little extra, and they do not cost extra. I am really getting tired of paying a premium price for internet to get such substandard service.
At this point I want to cancel my account, and I really do not feel it is right to be charged an early termination fee, since if the service performed properly I wouldn't be feeling this way.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 25 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Sounds like you have a marginal install or equipment issues.  Hopefully, one of the Exede folks will contact you and get you the help you need to get up to full performance.  It usually takes a significant rainfall rate to drop out the connection.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3164 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
Loren, as JEP said, it sounds like you have gotten a poor installation. There is a 90 guarantee on the installation, either by calling customer service, or even better, send an email to one of the Exede moderators, Alex or Kimberly, at exedelistens@viasat.com explaining your concerns.

Exede is really a good provider, and you should not be losing  your connection except during heavy rains. 
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 25 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
The problems is, I really can't afford to lose my connection at all, and with hughes I never lost it unless there was 2 feet of snow on the dish. I also am more then a little grumpy about trying to call customer service, when it happens and being told "our offices are closed right now"
This is just poor customer service. I pay 97$ a month for this, and they can't afford to keep the customer service or tech support desks manned? Ok yes, I am spoiled, with verizon or hughesNet or DishTV I can call 24/7 and get someone in which ever department I need. It even says 24/7 on the support contact page, but the robot which loops me around for 15 minutes and makes me TALK to it, which I hate, finally says "sorry we can't help you goodbye"
I think I would rather go back to paying through the nose for the data plan on my verizon cell account, at least I get customer service.
Photo of David Pippin

David Pippin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
When you call, ask for Tech support and you will get a real human who speaks very plain good English and their help is always outstanding. I've been with Exede for over three years and have bee nothing but satisfied with the superior service and tech support that is always there when you need them. Call for Tech support and you will only have to deal with the IRIS system for just a minute.
Photo of George Gainey

George Gainey

• 1 Post
  • 3 Reply Likes
It is possible to cancel without any early termination charges.  Just file a complaint with the BBB.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Loren, you are absolutely right in saying that you shouldn't be losing your connection at all. Something is off and if you send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, I'd like to do what I can to make it right for you. Let's resolve this together. Look forward to hearing from you.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 25 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Exede Kimberly, I have sent you an email at the address shown in your reply
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 25 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Well, I did get in on the great GB giveaway as a result of my email exchange with exedelistens@viasat.com
For those unfamiliar with this promotion, it is a 'here, have this little treat, since we are screwing over our loyal customers by offering new customers a huge data package for half of what you are paying and we know you are upset about it'
You must email them at the above address and request your extra data allowance. You are only allowed a total of 30GB apparently so choose wisely when you ask for it. Do not ask for it at the end of your billing cycle, wait til your usage resets and then email them and ask for an extra 5 or 10 GB at a time. I wouldn't ask for it all at once... They parcel it out in 5GB chunks
That exta 5GB really makes a difference in enjoyment. I can watch a small video here and there, etc
Be aware that your email alerts do not realize you have been given the extra GB and you will still get warnings even if your 'meter' shows green.
I do not know if this means that your connection will slow down when your meter still shows that you have data left to use etc

I hope they keep things stable this winter, everything seems to be working fine right now, but then the weather has been ok.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Loren, I am glad I was able to chat with you and get some GB added to your account. As far as your connection goes, your speeds will stay consistent due to having the extra GB on your account.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 25 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Ok I will send an email when my cycle starts over for another bit of extra GB while the promotion lasts...
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Oh yes, definitely do so and I will take care of it. (:
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Loren, like you I had hughes before switching to exede about 6 or 7 weeks ago..but unlike You I have not had problems I am enjoying much greater speeds and more gb per month for the same amount of money I was paying to hughes...and anyone who signs up for hughes now cannot get those free rollover tokens anymore...those were part of the old hughes plan which ended with the upgrade to hughes gen4.  I am sorry about the problem you are having but wouldn't want everyone who reads what you say to think hughes is better than exede,....for me, exede is superior.
I was sorry to see your rude comment after being given 5 free gb....in my life I have over and over again watched providers of various services or products give new subscribers something better than what I had as an already signed up customer--none of them ever offered me anything at all to make me feel better about being "screwed over" as you so sweetly put it...so if that is why exede is doing the gb giveaway, I say thank you.  they don't have to give anything away and I have no doubt that if they could offer unlimited plans to everyone they would...there are reasons there were business decisions made to do it this way at this time, which have been described elsewhere on this forum.
As I have said many times before, complaints are fine, but there is no reason not to remain civil while complaining.
by the way, I have not had any problems with losing my exede connection even when the weather is bad...did you figure out what the problem was?  did  your connection problems turn out to have something to do with data usage and slowed speeds?
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Loren, I just quit hughes 6 or 7 weeks ago..which was after you switched.  .if you look on their website right now you can see there is nothing on it about any free rollover tokens...only that you can buy extra tokens if necessary.
You seem to be way overreacting to my disagreeing with something you said, but you can check for yourself on the hughes website. If you find something there that I missed, please let me know and I will stand corrected, but I did look carefully.
 I would hate for someone to hear incorrect info and then go switch to hughes or something thinking they will get free tokens when that isn't described as being part of the gen4 plan at all..I did doublecheck before I wrote what I wrote the other day.
I am surprised at the way you just seemed to go off at me just  because I disagreed with you. I think maybe you shouldn't take it so personally.  People just disagree sometimes.
Speaking your mind does NOT have to mean being rude and cursing or calling people names.   You can get your point across without going overboard. And I think that is better for everyone.
I feel very strongly that more civility would be good for all of us.  and I tell myself that too, as I am by no means perfect in that department when I get upset about things.  So what I am saying to you is the advice I give myself and everyone around me, because I do think we'd all be better off if we worked at being more civil.   
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Lorrie I think you should read back through all the posts you have posted here before calling people rude.  Look in the mirror so to speak.  Maybe there is a reason people are going off at you.  I agree with Loren YOU are the one being rude to people so please take time to stop and think.  You have only been with this company 6 weeks by your own admission.  Many of us have multiple years of experience much of it not good.  To call people liars or stupid is indeed rude and many if not all of your posts imply that. 
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I have never thought anyone here was a liar or stupid, and I certainly never said, that.  You really need to take what I say exactly as I say it and not read into it.  what I keep saying is that I think it is better to complain in a civil way rather than being rude or calling names.  I do think that...what is wrong with saying that?  You don't have to agree, but why would you find that objectionable?
Any time you object to something I say, please feel free to say so, as long as you stick to exactly what I said, not what you think I might have MEANT.  If wonder if I meant something please feel free to ask and I will be happy to clarify.  Although I would appreciate it if you would leave out curse words of any generalizations about what you think I might think,..That really doesn't work when you are communicating online with someone you don't know and can't see or hear them...it is especially important under those circumstances to try not to read stuff into what is actually being said in text.  

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Interesting that I happened to be reading on the Hughes board last night curious what was being said about their future plans and in spite of one member here attacking another claiming they were "lying" about tokens(and I'm sorry implication IS the same as saying it directly no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig),  tokens (what ever they are ) are obviously very much still in play on that system.  Many posts people were discussing their tokens and earning them and using them, etc.  I would think the attacking member owes Loren an apology for their inaccurate attacks and statements, but I know that will never happen just another long "I'm the victim" post will appear.  
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
J, I have no idea what you are talking about about the hughes forum which I have no contact with and no interest in contacting since I dont' have hughes any longer. I don't think I ever posted there even when I had hughes and I rarely even looked at their forum since there seemed to be more people who wanted to vent anger than to really discuss problems and solutions. It never occurred to me that anyone was lying by saying hughes still has free tokens.  I thought that was a mistake.  Some people still have the old hughes plans, and THOSE plans still give free rollover tokens each month.  but hughes gen4 is the only hughes people can sign up for, so they can't get free tokens by signing up for hughes.  this is the only point I wanted to make.  I will correct misinformation if I see it, after I double check to try to be sure of my own facts, but I am not at all thinking anyone is lying.  Why do you insist on thinking that I think someone is lying if I say I think the facts are different than what someone said?  People get facts wrong all the time, myself included.  Please stop reading into what I write something that just isn't there.  
I will continue to say something on this forum if I think someone says something that is incorrect because it is important that what is said here is factual.  If I am ever wrong about something I say, I will apologize rather than going off at whoever points it out to me.  Including if I find out that hughes gen4 really does give out free tokens every month...but I checked the hughesgen4 website and the only tokens they say they have are the ones you pay for.  
I am done here.  this kind of back and forth is not what this forum is for.  Sounds more like a high school feud that you and I are too old for!  Well I am anyway, that is for sure.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Lorrie I really think you should just stop saying Gen4 customers do not get tokens LOL just stop, really. I was a Gen4 customer, the tokens were added after I started my Gen4 subscription. They were still in effect when I cancelled my subscription and are still in effect for Gen4 customers today. either do some research or just refrain from posting about things you have not researched =)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
 I did research it, back in august before I switched from hughes to excede, and then again before I said anything here...no free tokens on gen 4 according to the hughesgen4 website...only paid.  this was one of the reasons I switched to exede....loved the free rollover tokens when I had the original hughes plan....I have found nothing on the hughesgen4 site to indicate anyone gets any free tokens anymore except when a customer service rep decides to give them out ..not on any ongoing monthly basis.  do you suppose it is different in different areas of the country?  can't imagine why that would be so, but hughes says nothing about ongoing free tokens on their gen4 website....
ironically, since I learned more ways to manage my data usage, and got playlater.tv I have no need of free tokens.
If you can post something here that proves there are current free rollover tokens with hughes gen4, then I will stand corrected. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
you know, it just took me about 2 seconds just now  to google "tokens with hughes gen4" and look what I found, posted by a hughes employee and updated "7 hrs ago" according to the heading:

Gen4 Download Allowance
  •  ANNOUNCEMENT 
  •  
  • UPDATED 7 HOURS AG0
As previously posted here in the community, we have not been enforcing download restrictions for our HughesNet Gen4 customers. As of this week, all Gen4 customers will be subject to the Fair Access Policy which was outlined when you signed up. 

Our monthly data allowances have been working as expected, giving Gen4 customers more flexibility to use their service the way they want. We anticipate that a very low percentage of our users will be impacted by the Fair Access Policy. 

As a reminder, we offer a number of tools to help you keep track of your usage, and you have the option of purchasing additional bandwidth using a Token if you'd like. Here’s a summary of some of the tools we offer: 

1) You can see your current remaining allowance at any time by going tohttp://www.systemcontrolcenter.com from your home. This will load your modem’s local user interface and show you your remaining allowance on the right. 

2) You can check your usage history online, either by logging in to the Customer Support page athttp://my.hughesnet.com or by going to the universal usage page athttp://customercare.myhughesnet.com/s... . 

3) You can purchase Tokens in the Customer Management Console (CMC) for Gen4:http://my.hughesnet.com . 

4) You can always contact us at 866-347-3292 should you decide that you need a larger or smaller download allowance.

this isn't even where I originally looked (I looked in the current hughesgen4 website which also doesn't say a word about any ongoing free rollover tokens..)--but it also says nothing about ongoing free tokens, J....I don't know what else to tell you.

Here is another posting from 2 yrs ago.,.note that it says there will be NO complimentary tokens under hughesgen4...yes it was 2 yrs ago but I can't find anything that says this was changed in any way...
Will I still be able to use Tokens with HughesNet Gen4?
  •  QUESTION 
  •  
  • UPDATED 2 YEARS AGO 

Yes. HughesNet Gen4 will continue to support Tokens as a way for customers to increase their download capacity. Tokens will be available for a set amount of bandwidth: 

• 500MB for $5 
• 1GB for $8 
• 2GB for $16 

In the event you deplete your anytime Download Allowance, the purchased Token will be automatically activated and bandwidth will be added to your "anytime" pool. If you did not purchase Tokens ahead of time, you will still be able to do so once you surpass your Download Allowance. If you exhaust your Tokens, you may see a slowdown in service during peak periods. 

**********HughesNet Gen4 plans will not include complimentary Tokens. **************
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/will_i_still_be_able_to_use_tokens_with_hughesnet...
So J. unless you can post some kind of proof that hughes gen 4 has suddenly started giving out monthly free tokens in their gen4 plans, I guess it just isn't' so.
I have to go by what hughes says, not by what people I don't know say..I don't mean to be disrespectful by saying that, but that's just common sense that you;d go by what the company says their rules/policies are...

and from another place online...the hughes gen4 current homepage:
"Do I still get Tokens?Yes! You can now get Tokens for a set amount of bandwidth (500MB for $5; 1GB for $9; 2GB for $16). Purchased Tokens do not expire however in the event that you deplete your anytime Data Allowance, the Token will be automatically activated and bandwidth will be added to your "anytime" pool.  If you  exhaust your Token, you may see a slowdown in service during peak periods."
http://gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions
nothing about ongoing monthly free tokens here either Jacquelyn.,.....

sorry but you are going to have to do better than to just  keep insisting there ARE free tokens with hughesgen4 when what is stated online  by the company hughes itself doesn't substantiate that.  is it so hard to admit you could be wrong?  I could have been wrong.  I have been wrong about things before and I will be again...thank goodness we have google to check...because I know i can easily be wrong is why i just checked AGAIN because I really wouldn't want to put out wrong info here...do you not care whether you do?  are you sure that what you and loren are referring to isn't complimentary tokens which can be given out by customer service (at their discretion) when you call them with problems?  that would be true...they can give out free tokens to a customer individually if they choose to, but it isn't done monthly or automatically or on an ongoing basis...
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
oh look, I found some more:
"Rocky

Good morning KYbunnies- 

No, Gen 4 plans do not get free tokens. 
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/restore_token_gen4
autobodybasics .

I've been with Hughesnet for a long time, I think it's been ten years or more and I switched to Gen4 a couple months ago and I would NOT recommend it unless you must have a little more speed. It's quite easy to exceed your download allowance and then it costs you. No free monthly token so you better keep tabs on your usage. Personally, I think it's a real ripoff.
(hey doesn't this sound just like some of the exede customers who post here?)
honestly, jacquelyn I don't think you are lying at all, which is why I can't figure out why you keep saying there are free monthly tokens with gen4 when everything I read online says you can't.  this puzzles me.
here's another:
Gwalk900

James, for Gen4 plans there is no reocurring "free monthly token" as there was with the 6,7&9000 system legacy plans.
There CAN be complementory tokens given to you by Hughes support Reps."

to recap, the point is, if you are unhappy with exede, don't believe you can switch to hughes gen4 to get monthly free tokens...hughes gen4 doesn't give out ongoing free monthly tokens like the old hughes plans used to do....
(Edited)
Photo of Steven Edward Masse

Steven Edward Masse

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I really do hate to chime in on things but if my memory serves me well, if you had the old hughest service plan you did have free rollover tokens (I know because I was one of those people effected by their system problem because what was happening is they weren't giving you the 'free time' and it was actually going against your download allowance).  When they introduced the Gen4, you no longer had those tokens because the set up was different.  It's been about a year since I switched from Hughesnet to Exede and so far couldn't of been happier, but only time will tell. 

The person you speak with actually makes a huge difference.  I'll explain, hopefully in short why....
With HughesNet
1) After 2 years I started noticing reduced speeds constantly.
2) Started noticing that web pages where timing out.
3) Called tech support (I'm a techie also btw), they tried to tell me there was some program or malware on my computer that was causing the problem.
4) I said to myself, okay I have another desktop, 1 laptop, 2 iphones, 2 tablets lets go try all of those.  After testing and testing, all devices did the same thing.
5) I figured worse case scenario, it's my router, I went and bought a new one, still same problem.
6) Called tech support back and they told me there wasn't a problem with their equipment and that it must be my devices.  They sent up a ticket for their 3rd party on site people to contact me (outsource to service my area?).
7) 3rd party calls me, I explain everything, the dude literally had the nerve to tell me that it's more than likely something that went wrong with all my devices.  I even told him are you that stupid?  He said in order to fix the problem, it would cost me for them to come out, plus the cost to fix the problem on the devices and any equiipment that had to be purchased.  At that point my 2 year contract was up and since I needed internet for work, well It was time to shop :)
8) I contacted exede to set up installation after researching plans and got installation the next week or something, I still have the emails for everything somewhere.
9) Exede installation came, everything worked so then here's where the fun begins :)
10) Called hughesnet to cancel, lady asked me why I was cancelling and I just simply told her my internet connection kept slowing down.  Without even explaining anything else, she asked me to hold.  She checked a few things and said that there was a problem with their equipment and if I wanted to she could set up a next day installation for a service rep to come out and replace it for me at no cost.
11) Well now at this point I'm thinking wow, you must have some great stuff at your disposal in order to say it's a problem with the hughesnet equipment because your tech support said everything was fine on their end.
12) I started to explain to her in more detail than I have here, of all the problems I had.  I literally spend almost a whole week, literally on the phone, between their tech support and 3rd party outsource.
13) I told her it was too late that I had switched to exede, she said they would like to make it up to me and offered to pay my cancellation fee, well after I told her it was 300 dollars they said they couldn't pay that high.
14) Needless to say there have been a few bumps for me with exede but have been so far more pleasantly pleased with their level of support (I've only had to call maybe 2-3 times because of outages and they were great at explaining everything, no company reports a 100 percent uptime because mistakes happen, things break and no matter how hard you put contigency plans in place, shit happens).  And it's great being able to talk to a person that not only speaks clear english, but UNDERSTANDS what you are telling them, unlike hughesnet, god it was awful talking to them. 

Needless to say, it all depends who you get within the company that reflects your service.  There are great people out there, just sometimes we all get frustrated and just go with the easy out.  I know I sure did but in the end for me it worked out better, each person will vary.  Hughesnet account managers need to give their tech support people whatever they were using because that was a deal breaker right there.  I pretty much said screw that, I'm not going to spend hours or even days to hughesnet that stuff.

But for the tokens, I'm pretty sure offhand that they did rollover if you had an old plan with them but if you got the new gen4 plan, they did not offer them and they didn't roll over.  There was a period of time where they were having a system wide issue where your free time wasn't free and they offered tokens to all customers, but I vaguely remember that piece and what effected what and what's there now doesn't really matter.  The point of the long drawn out story is your mileage will vary with the person you work with.  If that person isn't working out for you, talk to another person.  I've had issues with straighttalk like this too, hours on the phone, just to get a person that doesn't understand your situation and how to fix it, to finally get fed up but not giving up and talk to another person and finally get someone that knows wtf you are talking about!  And sure it's a reflection on the company but you have to take into consideration that there is a learning curve for some issues.  Mistakes happen, people screw up, it's the nature of life.  Good lord I'm rambling now, anyways, just figured I'd chime in my own story.  Don't sweat over tokens and what was before, focus on what works for you and your needs.  If they aren't being met voice it, civially, if not shop around.

Steven Edward Masse

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Oh and I forgot to say, I had the legacy plan, so when they did the tokens, they did also give out complimentary tokens but you were also given 1-2 monthly reset token. The complimentary tokens roll over and each month if you didn't use the monthly reset tokens you lost it and gained a new one each billing cycle.  If you purchased tokens those always carried over.  However, if for some reason you had to reset, you didn't have an option to choose which reset token to use, your montly one, your complimentary one or the ones you purchased, it would automatically use your complimentary token.  I don't remember why I remember that but I know I had to call a few times to them.  It was screws up, that's all I know for sure, but something did roll over and I think it was the complimentary tokens.  The monthly reset tokens basically you lost at the end of the month and were given a new one at your next billing cycle.  I know at one point I had like 11 complimentary tokens because it was taking the resets off the monthly reset first and then the complimentary.  Actually now that I think of it, I think that was a problem before, that their system wouldn't take complimentary tokens so I always had to call.  Regardless complimentary tokens did carry over regardless of what plan you had because there was an issue with the 'free time' zone not being 'free' and was using data from your plan, causing people to run out quickly.  You could just call and they would give you more but for the monthly tokens, those were for the legacy plans, the new plans the gen4, used brand new equipment, different satellites and totally different set up than the legacy.  It's screwed up, I know.  I'm just going off memory so anything I said could be wrong, but was just sharing in case it's useful to anyone! 

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
If one looks at the Fair Access Policy for the Gen4 plan http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen4.cfm
it is easy to see that there are no free tokens for unused data as stated in this paragraph.

What happens if I don’t use all of my Data Allowance?

Any unused Data Allowance at the end of your cycle is lost, and your Data Allowance is reset to the normal monthly amount assigned to your service plan.

The old HughesNet plans, Gen4 Legacy and Non-Gen4 plans do still have the rollover tokens according to the Fair Access Policy for those plans http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicy_nonGen4.cfm

So from their website, it looks like older subscribers still have the rollover tokens, the new subscribers to the Gen4 plans do not.

Steven Edward Masse

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Mmmmm, I think you may have 'Data Allowance' confused with tokens a little.  They rolled over 'data allowance' from one day to the next under the 'legacy' plan.  I know because I had it.  Restore tokens are totally different.  If you had 'unused data allowance' as a result from a 'restore token' than the data allowance didn't roll over.  Restore tokens however did roll over.  There's a difference between the two in the rollover minutes. 

The legacy had rollover, basically you got say .5 gig a day to use.  If you didn't use that .5 gig you could use it the next day in case of a heavy use or download or something.

The Gen4 however they changed that, they gave it all to you at once. 

Those two points were for 'data allowance'.

Restore tokens are different as is complimentary tokens.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
The tokens I was referring to were the reset tokens. You get 1 each month for free, you had to buy others if you needed more. The 1 reset token each month, would accrue if you did not use them. I didn't need to use my free reset token for about 6 months, then needed to get one, figured I would have to buy them, found to my surprise that I had 6 that had accrued.
The roll over bandwidth allowance went away when I upgraded to gen4
My unused data used to roll over to the next day. This is when you were allowed 375 MB per 24 hour period, and if you didn't use much one day, the unused data allowance would roll over to the next day... that was handy but like I said, gen4 upgrade took THAT feature away and yes, they just gave you all of your data allowance at the beginning of your cycle with a detailed meter to keep track of it.

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Sorry that I just don't understand what is written in the Fair Access Policy on the HughesNet site. It s pretty clear to me that the Gen4 plan does not give any tokens if the previous month's data allowance is not used. This was confirmed when I called HughesNet on the phone asking about this on their customer order line. 

The old plans had these, but not the new plans is what I was told.

Restore tokens may be something different, I don't know.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Steven thanks so much for all the info....is the legacy plan the old Hughes plan or a particular Hughes plan? And here is the big question as far as this whole tokens issue goes.....is the legacy plan still available and is there ANY Hughes plan someone could sign up for today where monthly free rollover tokens are a routine part of the plan?
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
The reason I ask this is because the point to me is that you can't say Hughes is better than exede because of something they USED to offer but don't offer to anyone who signs up today. When I switched to exede I still had the OLD Hughes plan, not gen4, but I only had speeds of 1 mobs down and up. So I was researching to decide whether to go with upgrade to Hughes gen4 or exede. One of the reasons I decided to switch to exede was the fact that I would no longer get free monthly tokens if I switched to gen 4 and also I would lose the late night free zone (Hughes gen 4 got rid of the free zone). This is why I spoke up here to say you don't get routine ongoing free tokens anymore when you sign up....you can't sign up for the old Hughes plan that I had, only gen4.
(Edited)

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Lorrie, as near as I can tell the Gen4 Legacy plan is not available to new subscribers, only to those who werre already on Gen4 before HughesNet mode plan changes.

Steven Edward Masse

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Lorrie when I mentioned legacy I meant the old hughes plan.  I don't think they offer that anymore, but I could be wrong there.  I would think like everything else they wouldn't offer it no more and push out the new package deals they have.  I personally loved the legacy plan they had, when I started having issues with their equipment and shopped around, I didn't like the new packages hughesnet offered, as you said also it took away the free tokens and I think also the free zone.  Even though it offered higher speeds etc, as it stood with the old plans they didn't charge you for uploading and gave a free zone compared to the new plans that charged you for downloading and uploading and didn't offer a free zone.  In case you don't know what uploading is, basically think of it like information, it has to send information, when someone sends you information you are receiving.  Uploading and downloading is sorta like that.  It for most people it's not a huge factor unless they post a lot of pictures or videos to the internet.  And for me since I worked from home and at night time hours and had to vpn into work for a ever daily increasing database, it was critical for me that I had that free zone time.  Each person will vary on their needs and wants.  I'm not saying exactly that hughesnet is better than exede or visa versa, just you have to weight what's important for you and your needs.  That's what it boils down to.  Everything else just takes time to fix or work out.  I had thought about going back to hughesnet, but after my endless fiasco with them, I doubt that will seriously happen.  Heck even with exede right now, if I got a problem similar to them like I did with hughesnet, I would much rather pay more for quality and customer serivce rather than feel like a number.

I know that all was offtrack and I'm sorry about that.  To answer your questions though, yes it was the old hughesnet plan and no I don't know of any existing hughesnet plan that offers the token situation.  They would be the only ones that would be best to give you this information.  They have account representatives that are paid to answer those questions.  I'm thinking that it might be a possibility that they still might offer it somewhere but don't advertise it.  Some companies do that because they would rather you sign up for the NEW more expensive service but the old plans might be there.  The only thing I could advise is if the token deal is a breaker for you, tell them that, maybe to get you as a customer and pull a few things, they might be willing to do that if it would mean them taking your money.  Just the nature of the beast. 

My philosphy on companies seemed to change some with my age.  Before I would only look for the cheapest plans.  Now I look for the cheapest plans but the customer service also.  I'll share an experience I had with at&t and straighttalk.  At&t I paid more, but when I had a problem I was able to talk to a person that spoke and understood english, that helps in resolving the issue a lot these days!  I think for the 8 years I've had them, I've had maybe 1-2 problems, each person's mileage will vary mind you.  Money issues where a factor and I decided to switch to straighttalk.  Needless to say, I spent about 4-5 hours a day for almost a week literally on the phone with them to resolve a problem and it was transfering the number from at&t to them.  My other phone worked out flawlessly, this other one, nope, took hours and hours and days.  Repeating the same thing, the customer service rep not fully listening to your problem.  It's sort of like this 'I took out the sim card and restarted the phone and it doesn't work'  and the representative asking you 'I would like for you to remove the sim card in the back of the phone and please power down your device and restart it.'  At that point I get frustrated because I just told you this is what I did, maybe there's a language gap, I don't know.  But needless to say the moral of the story is, I think I've spent more time on the phone within the past year with straighttalk with multiply problems than I ever have or did with at&t and about a handful of other companies in my life!  So my philosphy now is that sure a company can be cheap, but it means their cutting back on something and 9 out of 10 times its the customer service.

Sorry for the long drawn out, all over the place response.  If I didn't answer your questions, sorry!  I blame it on my meds ;)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
thanks, Steve...you did answer my question...I did a great deal of research, comparing hughesgen4 to exede before switching from my old hughes plan to exede classic in august....so I really knew that there are no more free ongoing monthly rollover tokens in the currently available hughesgen4 plans....but I asked you that because I wanted to make sure there wasn't some particular hughes gen4 plan that is only available in certain places, like the exede freedom plan..that is CURRENTLY offering free monthly rollover tokens to new subscribers....

Steven Edward Masse

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
You are most welcome.  Free tokens under exede freedom hmmmm?  I might have to look into this exede freedom, it's been over a year I've looked at plans, might be worth seeing if something new and better is available :)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
oh no!  I sure said that wrong....no there aren't any free tokens with the exede freedom plan!  I just meant to refer to that as a program a co has that is distinctly different than other plans...the whole free ongoing monthly tokens issue is just about hughes...
what is great about the freedom plan is the huge data allowance, but it is only supposed to be available to NEW customers who live in a few particular locations in the country...but exede says more data will be coming to all customers eventually....there has to be enough satellite bandwidth available before everyone can have that much data monthly....a new exede satellite is scheduled to go up in 2016.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 25 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
So it has been about a week since I posted and so far things are solid. I am hoping this continues even when it rains, as the rainy season approaches I do get a little more nervous. I hate it that my job depends on this service and I cannot have full confidence that it will keep working when the weather turns bad. That is when I need it the most. I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive winter since I may have to keep paying for a large data allowance on my verizon account as well as the exede.
I will keep posting here as the winter progresses.
Photo of Richard L. Ray

Richard L. Ray

• 12 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hope things work out for you. I switched from Hughes because their service was abysmal and the system rarely worked. I still have the dish on the ground. Exede works so much better for me, I only lose signal during heavy weather like thunderstorms, and when I lose Exede I lose DirecTV service too, it's just the nature of the beast. No other options for me, no WISP, no DSL, no cable. I'm up on top of a mountain. The only way that those of us stand a chance of getting more alternatives for broadband is letting Congress know. The incumbent wireline providers have no interest in serving rural areas and will not ever do so unless mandated by the government. In the meantime, our fastest option is satellite internet with its limitations.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I will know this week if the service will survive light rain as we are due for some on Wednesday. I am hoping what ever it is that causes the signal to fade so sharply with a little rain can be compensated for. I really don't care who my provider is as long as the service can remain solid when I need it the most, during business hours in bad weather.

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Richard do you happen to know who in congress or elsewhere it would make sense to contact on this issue? Don't seem to be even close to getting anything near where I live.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Richard - I'm 40 miles from the White House and satellite is my only Internet option. One thing that really frosts me is that I have to pay a "communication tax" on my DirecTV to support infrastructure, when I don't benefit from that infrastructure.  Then again DirecTV charges me an extra "regional sports tax" since I can receive sports broadcast for both Washington and Baltimore teams. 
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I emailed exedelistens@viasat.com about my next 5GB in their promotional giveaway and got an immediate response. I will say their email and web based customer service is pleasantly quick and responsive. Funny how when you get used to dealing with so little, such a small thing like an extra 5Gb can make a large difference in your enjoyment factor of a service you are paying such a high premium for.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
That has been by experience also.  That extra 5GB really provides some breathing room and is very much enjoyed and appreciated.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I hate to even admit this but I am so "conditioned" about not wanting to go over in my data usage that when I have twice gotten the extra 5 GB, I couldn't get myself to "go wild" enough to even go above my 10 gb a mo and use any of the free gb! I did stream a couple of tv shows during prime time on standard quality settings and that only used a gb or 2.....but I know if I really had unlimited usage permanently I would quickly learn how to use up a ton of it. for now setting up play later.tv to record movies and shows after midnight ( for my later viewing from my hard drive whenever I want) will have to meet my needs.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Excuse me.....have to go off and ask for 5 more of those free gbs! Will see if I can "let go" enough this month to use them!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Glad I was able to get those next 5GB added for you today. Enjoy. (:
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
We had our first rainstorm yesterday and last night. I am pleased to report that service remained stable and solid. I did not experience any slowdown or interruption. It rained pretty hard too. If the service stays solid like this all winter, I will be quite satisfied with it. I still need to get a snow melter for the dish.
 I am hoping that exede decides to give us all a little more breathing room in our data plans, as previously stated, even that extra 5 gb makes things a lot more enjoyable and also makes it feel like you are getting a bit more value for the high dollar this service costs.
 I think they could comfortably give everyone a 50 MB allowance for the plan they now call the 15 GB plan, and folks would be much happier, and I do not think it would negatively impact network speeds all that much. Increasing the allowance to that point still makes you have to ration your usage, however, one can click on a few more of those cute kitten videos then previously allowed ;)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
I have had moderate rain in my area today and had one outage for a couple of minutes.  My Exede drops out just before DirecTV does, and comes back a little after DirecTV is restored.  I am very much enjoying the +5 GB bonus while they last and increasing the 15 GB cap to 25 GB would be great for my household. (Though, not for an extra $50).
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Since I am in one of those problem areas in va where congestion appears to be causing my speeds to in prime times and during the late night free zone to dip well below any average speeds exede promises, I can't say that I think doubling the amount of data allowance customers can sign up for is a good idea at this time....if exede says the technology won't support that increase yet then I believe them. Esp because of the problems I already see with my speeds during times of typical heavy usage by customers in general.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Good to hear your service hung in there during the rain Loren. (: I received and responded to your email regarding transitioning your service and I look forward to getting that done for you.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thank you Kimberly, I responded to your reply. I think I will be happy with the new freedom plan, and I encourage other existing customers to inquire with their customer reps if their area is one of the ones being offered the upgrade. It would seem that indeed Exede does listen.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Upgraded my plan to the new Freedom 150gb plan. It doesn't cost a lot more then I was paying, and gives lots of room for play. I may even be able to indulge in a movie now and then =)
Phone customer service was pleasant, thorough, well informed and very helpful. I have been pleased with the noticeable improvements in customer service, and reliability of the internet service over the last couple of weeks. If things keep up like this, then Hughes is going to have some serious competition to contend with. It even has me contemplating switching from dish tv to directv ... hmmm lol 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thanks Loren! Glad to see you enjoying your service. I hope the
Freedom plan keeps up for you and lets you do all you want to. You are a
pleasure to assist and I'm so glad you were able to upgrade. (:

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
How do we find out what upgrade options are being offered to existing customers Loren?  I haven't seen anything on the web site so far about that. I've had Directv for 21 years btw and never had any complaints with it in 21 years.  EXCEPT I HATE the automated system you have to go through to ever talk to anyone.  lol.  When we got our upgrade to HD boxes a few years back I made  my husband call into them so I would not have to deal with that. ;-)
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I hate the automated system as well. I think 2 ways, you can email exedelistens@viasat.com or call, and choose customer service, give them the account password when it asks for it and talk to customer service. Before I did any of that, I actually went to the website first, and checked their plans, and entered my zip code.
It showed the freedom plan offered in my area, and there was a link to click for existing customers.
after that, I called on the phone to double check, and was told it was indeed offered in my area etc
I started out on this journey because the guy who does installs for the company I work for also does installs for exede and he gets the emails about what is available in which area before anyone does lol
 I then double checked and then called.
I hope they are offering it in your area!

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Loren, Unfortunately they are not able to offer that in our area at this time.  :(  But Kimberly did set me up with being able to get the free GB offer and I have 5GB now available to watch a concert my son is in in a little over a week.  And let me know I could add some of the other extra when my kids are home from college over Christmas break.  I will keep pursuing an alternate service for now but at least the extra GB strategically placed with give us some breathing room and ability to see a couple live events we are not able to get to in person.  Since you mentioned working for a cable internet company....could you tell me how to get ahold of someone in a company to ask about running a line 1.5 miles, we think there is a cable line running the paved road 1.5 miles from our place and if we figure out that it is and want to eventually pursue that I have to figure out how to talk to someone local, not in India...lol.  Enjoy your upgrade!!
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
well it depends on which company you are talking about as far as how to get ahold of someone. The company I work for is based in our local community, owned locally, and run locally. When our customers call they get ME (billing) ... LOL or Steve (tech support) but our service area is limited at this time to Trinity County Ca
If you are talking one of the larger cable companies like comcast, the only way to talk to anyone local is if they maintain a store front for customers to walk into. Even then, a large company won't run a cable tap 1.5 miles unless there is more then one household who will subscribe... and every company has a different threshold for subscriber vs resource limitations.
I would search for the website associated with the cable company you are dealing with and try to get in touch with the corporate office?

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Thanks Loren for your input.  Local owned companies are the best to deal with.  Our ISP up north contacted me a couple weeks ago and asked to set up an appointment to inspect our equipment so I scheduled an overnight up there and when the tech got there he said that they had noticed our signal was lower than it should be so they wanted to make sure everything was working correctly.  I hadn't complained they noticed it and initiated the contact.  I think that is amazing service and something lacking today with larger companies for the most part.  Turns out they and I think the lower signal might be due to trees (time to trim again) and want to recheck once the leaves drop off.  Wish I could pack them up and move them too.  ;-)  
The new thing my husband and I just realized yesterday actually (apparently the broadband coverage map for our state is outdated), is that 1.5  miles north along a hard surface county road is a fiber optic line!  We had been tracking that from the local company we are talking to about expansion to see how close they were to us and then noticed for the first time the line running up along that road.  We have no idea who that is but the posts are labeled GTE...but I guess we could drop in our our farmer neighbor that farms the field north of us and ask him about his internet since he lives on that road.  But that is even better than cable if we can eventually get it run down our way.  :)
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Yeah I hope that works out for you =) fiber optics is really fast. It is frustrating to live so close, yet so far I bet lol
I could get wireless broadband here if I wanted to pay a huge install fee (they would have to climb a tree) and then I would be faced with a similar business model the cell companies use. That provider charges 35$ for I think a 5gb limit then you pay either per GB or in chunks of 10GB for additional use, and you never know what your bill will be because they track it like a cell provider does, and add it up at the end and then hit you with the whopping big bill the next month.
I would rather deal with exede lol

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
I would love to have a land based unlimited high speed internet service too. For the past 25 years I have been 1 mile from the end of the Time Warner system, but they have little interest in extending their service to include my house, even though their are 16 potential subscribers in that mile. When I tried to get them to extend this summer, they came back with a cost of $10,000 cost to do the extension. This cost would be divided up by the number who would commit to a 2 year contract for service. Only two others were interested in paying up front money to get their service, so we will be relying on the satellite providers for the foreseeable future.  Exede has provided me with very reliable service so far, and will be my provider of choice for now.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Unfortunately the closest cable provider to where I live is equally uninterested In expanding to where I'd have access....but someday maybe....I still can't get a cell phone signal where I live even though I am only 5 min from a major highway and walmart superstore and a whole line of businesses. So near and yet so far, for sure.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
That is kind of a bummer Loren that you can't get the type of wireless broadband we had at the other place and are being blocked by a line of trees from getting it here.  :P  Seems like there are different types of service all called "wireless broadband" so it is a little confusing.  What we had and wish we could cut down trees here to get (lol) would cost about $200. for installation and have unlimited service for a fraction of the price.  This company offers up to 10 mbps, though I would probably take the 5 mbps if we could get a line of sight.  My husband wants to try putting up a tower to see if we can get high enough to site over the trees, I told him why don't we just put up our own cell tower and rent space to the cell phone providers since not all providers have coverage down here.  ;-) lol   That must be frustrating Lorrie if you can't even get cell phone signal.  And yes we all know how frustrating to be just out of reach.  I wouldn't know what to do with land based internet, never had it.  Would be nice though if we could get the company with the FIOS to run down our way too.  Eventually we'll get something.  
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Jacqueline, if you can send me an email with your information to exedelistens@viasat.com I can check to see if you are eligible to upgrade. (:
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 6 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
The dropping of connection is an ongoing problem with Excede along with slow speed.  You can't count on customer service to help because every time you set an appt, they call to either cancel because they say you have no problem.  OR, they FINALLY schedule an appt. and then call and give a lame excuse why they didn't show up.  We've gone thru this for THREE months and they have yet to come check our dish.  Go back to HughesNet.  I'm certainly checking them out along with others. Terribly unprofessional company.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Steve am interested in where you live? I live in central va and with exede haven't had any connections dropped or loss of connection except once for a couple of minutes during a huge downpour of rain....toward the end of when I had Hughes I did start having that problem where I kept over and over losing connection and would have to keep rebooting everything to get back online....Hughes couldn't I.d. the problem.. I actually wound up wondering if there could be some other kind of uncommon cause outside of anything directly attributable to my equipment or to Hughes' equipment? Do you get any error messages online before your connection drops or does it just go out all of a sudden.? I think that before I was losing my connection I would briefly start getting "unable to load page" notices...or unable to send an email....then connection would quit altogether. I did do a few things, like a DNS flush and emptying my cache, etc which seemed to help.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Steve, I have responded to your comment on "disappointing customer service". Talk soon.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
So far it has been raining steadily for the last 48 hours and I have spent both thurs and fri online with no issues that were the fault of exede. I did have to reboot my own router a couple of times, but that is my issue not theirs.
My husband and I were even able to play world of warcraft together, after I spent all day yesterday patching the game (11.5 GB patch eek)
All in all so far things are working well, and I am satisfied. I will be happy once the customer portal starts interacting with those of us who have switched to the freedom plan, I have been told that will be the 23rd. Here is hoping!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
So good to hear this from you Loren! Have a good weekend! (:
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I need an equipment check too.  A sprinkle comes here and I loose connection.

Although at the moment it seems I have no connection and the sun is shining bright.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Leslie, I just received your email and responded to your email. After seeing this comment,  I checked your connectivity and there is an issue. We can discuss the issue and resolution in our email. (:
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Yes, it seems it my problem all along.  I renewed my DHCP on the router and service was restored.  Will still call about the other matter.  Thank you so much.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
You are very welcome (:
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
what is renewing a DHCP on one's router, in case I ever have a similar problem? Thx.

Steven Edward Masse

• 13 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.

In short, your router assigns an IP to a computer or device.  like 192.168.1.1 , 192.168.1.2, etc.  It's responsible to ensure your device/computer gets the right information from what it receives from the satellite.  Think of it like a postal mailbox :)  Sometimes things get messed up and renewing it helps resolve conflicts. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
 steve...I don't know how to renew that, but you have given me enough info to google the answers I need....thanks!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.