I have Exede/Viasat internet 150 unlimited (Yeah Right)

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
I have Exede/Viasat internet. I called today because I found out they have a new satellite and 50 mb download compared to my 30 mb download speed and I pay the same price as that is. Trouble is If I choose to upgrade they want me to sign a 24 month contract. I am an existing customer who has already done the 2 year with them. To me they should upgrade me without a new contract. A reputable company would anyway. Just ranting because I think it is bullcrap that when they upgrade they don't upgrade your service automatically especially when you are paying the same price.
Photo of Cindy Hickerson

Cindy Hickerson

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • FRUSTRATED

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Personally I think it was a mistake for Viasat to offer residential plans beyond 30 mbps on Viasat 2 but the reality is, you won't be able to notice a difference in speed between 30 and 50 mbps.

For most internet use, you don't need more than 5 mbps.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Keep your plan though. The older unlimited plans had 150 gb data caps. The newer plans have much lower data caps.

I believe the newer gold 50 plan has a 100 gb data cap.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2500 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
Because the upgrade requires a new modem, new tria, and a tech visit, they need to recoup that investment. Hence a new 2 year commitment. Same thing happened with Wildblue Legacy to Exede. People complained about this for months. Nothing changed. So make the move or stay. It's 24 month.

I would bet if they charged you an upgrade fee for $360 to cover what I described above with no new monthly commitment, that would be acceptable.