I had Aquestion about the deposit when I first ordered ViaSat

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Acknowledged
When I first ordered ViaSat I was told over the phone that they would put a hold of $65 dollars and a few days later that they would refund the money back into my account. I just looked at my bank statement and they had taken out $91 dollars. Why is that and will I get anything back ?
Photo of Michael Hazelwood

Michael Hazelwood

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3563 Posts
  • 1340 Reply Likes
I got aanswer:

The $65 hold is immediately refunded and will be back on your card in 3-5 business days (speed of the bank)

Were you already installed? If so, that might have either been an install fee of the first bill (usually hits a few days after as you pay for the month ahead of time.)
Photo of VIASAT 417 Installation Services

VIASAT 417 Installation Services

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is The way Viasat billing works thru the whole process....   You place an order with them directly or your local dealer.  They enter the information into the system  and as part of the credit check they attempt to debit your payment type the 60-65 dollars.  They don't ever take that money out of the account, they just use it in the process to get a customer approved for service. (if that amount is not available from the payment type it gets rejected and the customer will not get in the system for service)  Some banks or credit card companies handle this transaction differently, some put a hold for that amount for 24 hours, some it never shows up, but that fee is never going to be taken by Viasat. 

The billing, however,  is predicated on your installation date,  within 4 days of your installation you will pay your first bill, which will include your plan fee (30 days in advance),  equipment lease fee and taxes, on your first bill only it will also include some pro-rated days depending on how many days after the install date the billing started (1,2,3, or 4 sometimes pro-rated days) .    From your 91 dollar bill, I would guess you had the 75.00 plan, about 12 dollars in taxes and fees and maybe 2 or 3 pro-rated days to get your bill to 91.00.  After your first bill it will always be the same amount each month for the remainder of the contract unless you make changes or add any services.  

Hope that helps explain the process.   Have a great day