I get slow speeds at night even with the Liberty plan it is around 250Kbs every night

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I get slow speeds at night even with the Liberty plan it is around 250Kbs every night how much different would it be if I didn't have the Liberty plan because $94 is a lot to pay for this just wondering how much slower it get with out it 
Photo of Chilli Joshua Kuehn Fletcher

Chilli Joshua Kuehn Fletcher

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3882 Posts
  • 3956 Reply Likes
If you were on one of the Classic, Evolution or Essential 10 plans it would be worse on going over your data threshold for the remainder of the month except during the late nite or early bird free  zones which are associated with those plans (even then the benefits of those free zones have been diluted as more and more users discover how to best leverage them).

The Liberty Plans don't have a free zone. Instead once you go over the priority data limit you've signed up for you then go into Liberty Pass mode which is prioritized not simply throttled, you're placed at the bottom of the service queue. During peak usage periods, those who haven't exceeded their hard cap or priority data are effectively cutting in line and serviced at a greater priority such that the end of the queue is barely moving during those periods.

As long as I stay within my monthly allowance I'm good (even on a more heavily loaded beam) - for the past couple months I've monitored my speeds regularly during both the peak and non-peak usage periods - the slowest I had was earlier this AM around 7:00 with 7 Mbps but it returned to normal shortly after that. All others tests have been in excess of 12 Mbps and well in excess during non-peak hours excluding this AM.   

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2241 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Hi Chilli Joshua,  Old Labs has explained how the Liberty Pass works.  If you have any additional questions, please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com or call our customer service line at 855.463.9333. They will review your account. Thanks