Keith Higginbotham

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of bubs

bubs

• 87 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
If you're referring to the wifi, yes, you can plug in your own wifi router.  If you're referring to the entire box, the way it looks, there wouldn't be much of a practical way to do that, unless they'd give you a different version, which would likely not be worth the trouble.

What's your issue?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 321 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
No you must use the Viasat supplied "modem" (they are actually combination modem/router devices)  - you can however choose to disable the router functionality (bridge mode) in favor of your own router.

In short, you need to use their device for modem functionality but can extend it with your own router (not sure if they still offer the modem only version).
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1596 Posts
  • 932 Reply Likes
What dont you like about the device? Viasat developed a perfectly functional device that delivers wifi internet, so you should be fine with it.
Photo of Keith Higginbotham

Keith Higginbotham

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't like the interface.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1577 Posts
  • 927 Reply Likes
To what? Connecting to the router? You can install your own router.

Keith Higginbotham

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
do i need to disable the built in one?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1577 Posts
  • 927 Reply Likes
You put it in bridge mode. Unfortunately, I never had this model so unsure how to do it. A number of others on here can help you though.

Do you have the white triangle modem or one that stands up?

Keith Higginbotham

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
one that stands up. model number is RM5110
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1588 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
That would be the one that heats a house and has terrible wi-fi. You definitely want to attach a third party router and set the modem in bridge mode. Search this forum and you can probably find some threads on how to do that. If you cant, I am sure someone here xan.provide the instructions for you. But you are definitely thinking right to use your own router over the built-in one!