Ok, last month, (my first with Exede) I took my licks and went 3 weeks w/o streaming TV...Oct 8, 150GB...back in service! In TWO DAYS, after I cut every auto download, TV's reduced to lowest bandwidth, and 1 TV in use, and I have consumed, yes consumed, 68.7% of those 150GB. I'm sure someone has a reasonable explanation
Something is obviously sucking data some where you can see it or you have some defect in your installation. I have the 150G plan and unless I go nuts I can't get to the limit. I would suggest disconnecting the router/modem From the dish for a couple days and see if you have sucked up alot of data. This part sucks because you can't use the network. You should have essentially no data consumed and if you do there's your sign. If the data used was correct then hook the Modem/Router back up to the dish and start removing inputs and monitor data useage Hopefully you will find the problem. If you still suck Mass data, you may have a wireless hitchiker. you can check that by signing in to the router and look see whose on the wireless network and boot anybody off that doesn't belong. If you can't find anything weird, call support and get a tech out.