I am wondering how i used up 12GB's of data in such a short period of time?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I have been notified by email i have used up all 12GB's of my data and still have 21 days in billing cycle. How can this have happened? Please explain.
Photo of Larry Geisler

Larry Geisler

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3966 Reply Likes
Today's web sites utilize a ton of data and there are other ways data can be used without your knowledge.

However, it sounds like you're on the Liberty 12 Plan - you'll get 12GB of data at high/normal speed (up to 12Mbps). After that, your speed will be decreased to 1 - 5 Mbps - speeds within  that range will depend on current network utilization by other users (i.e. you'll receive lower priority than that of other users who haven't exceeded their data allotments). Those speeds are still usable in most cases (unlike those of us who suffer with the pain of hard data capped plans).  .

Even with the Liberty Plans it's a good idea to conserve your priority data. As noted today's web sites are becoming increasingly data hungry and there are other ways data can be used without your knowledge.

Give us some information regarding your operating system, number/type of devices, browser and any add-ons to the browser that you're using, and some recommendations can be made to preserve as much of your priority data as possible.

Alternately you can call 855-463-9333 or send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com including your account and contact information (do not post it here since this is a public forum accessible by all). They should be able to give you a generalized breakdown of where your data is going. Although that generalized breakdown is a starting point, you'll need to take other actions to eliminate any unwanted data usage but typically it consists mostly of ads and automatic updates.           
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2797 Posts
  • 1763 Reply Likes
Larry, make sure your satellite TV systems are not connected to your home network. Both Directv and Dish will download and record programs that they think you "might like", also any on demand programs will use your Exede data. Smart TVs are another possible data hog.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Larry, there could be a multitude of reasons why your data is being consumed before the end of your billing cycle. A few data consumption's that people are typically unaware of are: storage, updates, apps, or communications. The number of wireless devices on your home network can also play a big role with data usage. Please allow us to review your account and to figure out where your data is being consumed to help maximize your data. Please send your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com.   
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
If you are running Windows 10, the November update is 3GB.  If you are running Office 365, the November update is pretty big also.  If you have multiple computers, you can download 12GB in less than a day if you aren't careful.
Photo of Kimberly Butler

Kimberly Butler

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
OMG - this is aweful - I have just purchased my dream home and apparently it is too far out for ATT or Suddenlink to provide internet... is this what I have to look forward to? - its crushing... We have two computers, 3 laptops and 12 devices on our mobile plan, my youngest child has autism and relies heavily on his Ipad for communication and to do his activities of daily living. We might as well use our hot spot data... this is so very expensive with such little amounts of data available.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Kimberly, please allow us to review your account and pinpoint where your data is being consumed to help maximize your data. Once we figure out where your data is being consumed, we can find ways to help you enjoy the activities you love. Please send your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com Thank you 
(Edited)