I am the Scrooge

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged

Welcome to the times of conjestion in Viasat. Happy Holidays.
Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 42 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
  • DERP

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
Tis the season!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 151 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Its that time of year!  Weather sucks, kids stuck inside, internet slow as molasses running up hill in January, pics take forever to load ... or dont load at all.

CANT WAIT FOR SNOW DAYS, CHRISTMAS BREAK, AND SANTA TO BRING ALL THOSE NEW DEVICES!!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3504 Posts
  • 2041 Reply Likes
Dilly dilly!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
It's going to get even worse between Christmas and the New Year. Always the slowest time of the year.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
In dialup days, we waited for the pilgrims to retire (go off-line), then we got blazing fast speeds, like 26kbps.

On satellite, it still works, just fine....even on "Exede-5"

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1024 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
I always considered it fast if I got at least 35Kbps with dialup.  Nearly every time I would go online I would dial through three or four local numbers to get the one that was fastest at that time.  To think that four or five Kbps made that much of a difference.  LOL.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: "I always considered it fast if I got at least 35Kbps with dialup."

When dialup ISPs came "online" in larger numbers around 1993, 14.4Kbps modem was tops.  As noted in an article, "It took 14 years, from 1980 until 1994, for the speed of the modem to develop from 14.4Kpbs to 28.9Kbps but it was only two years later, in 1996, that Brent Townshend came up with the technology for the 56k modem."  Note...this author sentence is not quite true...14.4Kbps modem came several years before 28Kbps modems.  Interesting read on this topic: Cutting Through the Hype About 56K Modems

Tidbit - ViaSat actually considered going into dialup modem business, back then, but their investors suggested to stick with sat tech.

I've been experimenting around with one wireless carrier, and one MVMO using Verizon's towers, and noticed throttling on both with prepaid accounts when using a Galaxy S8 cellphone and a DuraXV LTE flip-phone. 

With flip-phone, the MVMO on Verizon's towers gives about 3.7Mbps, but with Smartphone, as shown below.  I have seen impressive 13Mbps upload speeds, but 1.7Mbps maximum on DL via fast.com test.  Yes, they claim "DVD quality" but at 1.7Mbps, I'm not aware of any streaming video service that is capable of delivering.

With a wireless carrier, they state upfront a 3Mbps speed cap on DLs, but I can get around 4.7Mbps on a rural tower  With a postpaid account, around 11Mbps speed cap.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Not sure what yall’s issue is. I’m watching Nirvana on MTV Unplugged with zero buffering just fine.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3593 Posts
  • 2098 Reply Likes
But you are on the magic beam!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
He hasn't been stoned yet....Everybody must get stoned, sooner or later:-)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
With a Plex server. I can watch what I want when I want.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3593 Posts
  • 2098 Reply Likes
Walmart had Roku's on sale for $20. Picked another one up. I suspect a lot of people did. The Roku registration servers were down for several hours starting about 9:30pm last night.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1031 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
Is Roku a free or paid service?  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2821 Posts
  • 1782 Reply Likes
It has hundreds of channels available for free, and lots more for a fee. Netflix, CBS Access, Hulu charge a monthly fee, and other channels like FS1, NBCSP, ESPN, and other channels available on cable, satellite TV are free as log as you have a sign on for a TV provider. Not that people would  ever do this, but any access these channels by using the sign on of a friend or relative, similar to what many do with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The down size of Roku is that you can blow through your data in a heartbeat, so one must be aware of how much they are using against their data caps.

I use my Roku a few hours a day, but am fortunate to have 150 GB a month available.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1031 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info.  :) 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Roku player is the best!   here is a list of the most popular free channels

https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/top-free

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
My Roku connects to my Plex server.  I can watch all I want from the terabytes of video stored on my server thanks to Playon without using a bit of my priority data.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3593 Posts
  • 2098 Reply Likes
Does your Plex server work without being connected to the internet? I tried it and it didnt work for me.
Photo of barg_

barg_

• 102 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I got a Fire stick for my mom.  She can barely walk, had an echo dot (got a new regular Echo coming), pretty handy playing music etc.  Figured the Fire TV would tie in nicely with voice commands.  Lots of sales on all this kind of stuff.  Both streaming devices do much of the same things, except the Fire also allows Android apps, etc.

I got a cheap lifetime Playon account some time ago, didn't work well with the old connection, if I get time I will check that out now that the connection isn't an issue.

Hulu is having a sale if anyone is interested, might end any time.  "Unfortunately" it's the "limited commercials" plan, commercials you can't fast forward through.  But, 12 months for $0.99/month.  Only for new or eligible returning.  I started on the $5.99 promotional pricing for that plan, so I'm not eligible.  Also trying out Philo, just wish it would have locals.
https://slickdeals.net/f/12329917-hulu-0-99-a-month-for-12-months-with-commercials
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
My Plex server works without being connected to the internet.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3593 Posts
  • 2098 Reply Likes
I wonder why mine wont. In theory it should not need the internet.
Photo of barg_

barg_

• 102 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Random Google, haven't ever used it myself, might not be your issue. https://forums.plex.tv/t/is-it-possible-to-use-plex-without-the-internet/205926
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3593 Posts
  • 2098 Reply Likes
Seems like the official word is yes you need a connection, at least for the most part.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/2004...
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
My speeds have been excellent all week, including the weekend of Thanksgiving. Maybe some of the load is finally being taken off Viasat 1.