015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload
Latency: 648 ms
Server: New York, NY

Your Internet speed is very slow

Your Internet download speed is very slow. Web browsing should work, but videos could load slowly.
LEARN MORE
TEST AGAIN
Photo of Doug Gasaway

Doug Gasaway

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Stan N Dorothy

Stan N Dorothy

• 24 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
And you never will with these bottom freding pricks
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
What a mature reply!  Very helpful, I'm sure.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Great. Thanks for posting that. Now Stephen will just post his numbers bragging about his speeds, and there is no ignore feature on this site!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
I want to see a picture of those Bottom Freding Pricks.  Must be a new species that they just discovered.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2804 Posts
  • 1455 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 38 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Bot
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Regardless, those look like typical speeds on my beam. Sadly, I dont have a magic beam like Stephen!
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1006 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
Doug,

Those speeds are pretty slow.  As Stephen asked, what plan are you on?  How much data have you used this billing cycle?  At what time of day was this test taken?

If you'd like some specific information about your account, please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account number!
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 38 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
No matter how many excuses you make, your service still sucks
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Doesn't suck for me. I pretty much do whatever I want with my internet. Have you bothered to set up a service call to try to figure out why your service is so bad?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2804 Posts
  • 1455 Reply Likes
Doesn’t suck for me either. I watched the Presidential address tonight just fine.
Photo of Scott Kirby

Scott Kirby

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
is everyone on Viasat2 ? I just ordered service and they are comming out on Monday to install.....would i be on Viasat2......i got the unlimited silver 12 for streaming live tv
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Scott,

At last check, unlimited plans are currently only be offered to new customers in Viasat-2 service areas (beams).

Regardless, if streaming live TV during primetime (peak usage periods) is your primary goal, you may be disappointed. Do your homework before the install while not locked into the 2 year commitment and understand the data usage threshold, prioritization on reaching that limit as well as the throttled video stream detect to a rate that is at best suitable to "up to" 480p quality on Silver. You may get lucky and be on a lightly loaded beam or you may not.     

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

In addition, read and understand the customer agreement to avoid any disappointment:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf

Satisfaction varies greatly and is typically inversely proportional to how many subscribers there are in your service area (or beam). As you can see from this conversation alone, opinions vary widely. Even then, many of us who are satisfied have to work very hard to overcome some of the limitations inherent to satellite internet but we have no other viable options available to us.

(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3164 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
Unless you plan on streaming only a few hours of TV a day, and are satisfied with the quality equivalent to standard definition TV, you will not be happy with satellite internet. As Old Labs stated, many of us have to work at staying within the priority data limits, and tolerate the normal slow speeds during the evening hours. Satellite internet is targeted at users with no other options for internet service.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
I even went so far as to install a Chrome extension that allows me to easily block specific web pages that I know use a ton of data, regardless of ad blockers.  pcmag is one of them.  I read an article on their site one day a couple of weeks ago and that one page, with no video, used nearly 22MB.  One lousy web page!  I then looked back through Glasswire and I saw that this was somewhat common with pcmag pages.  SMH.  

I can block them in my router, but the extension is faster and easier.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
What extension? I might want to give that one a try with the Viasat Browser - it should be compatible and I'm looking for an easier way to do that on the Viasat browser. 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
It's called "Block Site - Website Blocker for Chrome".  

This is the URL that shows when I am on its page in the Chrome Store....

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/block-site-website-blocke/eiimnmioipafcokbfikbljfdeojpcgbh

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Thanks, yeah I was looking for a simple one/two click blocker and that does the trick with no typing or pasting involved ;) There are some sites that just aren;t worth stumbling upon again once you see how much data they use.  
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
Oh, wow.  I didn't even realize that it had a "Block this site" button.  I went in and added the pcmag site manually.  That button will make it a lot easier when I need to block something in the future.  :) 

It's worked very well, so far.  It's caught a couple of times that I clicked on links to pcmag pages without realizing.  I have Webroot for AV and the Webroot Filtering Extension, which shows green check marks in web search results if the web pages are safe.  I sometimes click on safe results without even thinking about what the site is, so that page blocker came in very handy in those instances.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That's OK, it took me a while to figure out uBlock Origin had a simple two click way to block all javascript on a site - I try that when a site abuses javascript. Many sites work without javascript - some even only use javascript to detect if you're running an ad blocker (or a subscriber) and prevent your access and it gets around that.   
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
I didn't know that.  I've REALLY got to study my extensions a little better.   I've been using uBlock Origin for months now and I never looked at the options available.  I see it now, though.  I'll have to give it a try.  

Edit:  Just...OMG.  That's going to come in handy with a lot of sites.  I often avoid CNN stories because of the videos.  Now I don't have to.  

Thanks for the inadvertent heads up!  :)  
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The web becomes more bearable on satellite internet even during peak usage periods when you take the time to eliminate all of the unnecessary bloat that appears on today's web sites.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
I had tried numerous things to stop those videos from playing.  Chrome used to give an option, but it's gone.  Then CNN changed how the videos play, so it became harder, and the extensions that I could find what would work only stopped them from playing, not downloading.  I eventually got to a point where I would just reach over and unplug the LAN cable from the back of the modem once the page loaded, but before the video started to download its data.  It worked, but it was a pain to have to keep doing it.  And, actually, I did the same for a good number of sites.  

This, OTOH, is exactly what I needed.  Now, if I could just stop the gifs from automatically playing on my News Feed in Facebook.  The auto playing setting is off, and the gifs didn't used to play, but they started to last month.  Only the News Feed, not in groups or anything.  It's driving me nuts.  I mean, they're only gifs, so it's not a ton of data, but every saved bit helps.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Since we're on the topic of data usage hacks, another extension I use is a User Agent Switcher - there are a couple different ones but I use User-Agent Switcher for Chrome on the Chromium variants like Viasat Browser.

Basically, it allows you to spoof the browsers user agent string and I'll change it  to send a mobile device user agent string (e.g. iPhone, Android Phone, Windows Phone). Some sites will detect that you're using a mobile device and serve up a lower footprint pages designed for that smaller footprint device and cellular networks sometimes saving a lot of data - I just resize the browser to about the form factor of one of the devices and it yields a snappier experience. More often than not I use it when running low on data at the end of the month.

I just wish I could find one that allows specifying a specific user agent string on a site by site basis... some sites offer a much better mobile experience than the desktop experience = others not so much.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
That sounds interesting.  I'll have to take a look at it.  Anything that helps to save data is a plus, that's for sure.  

Thanks!  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
I went to CNN, having ticked that Javascript thing earlier, and the page was blank, save for the headers.  LOL.  I'll just have to tick it each time I go there, and after the page is loaded.  This way, I can still see the main page and the story headlines, but no vids will play on the subsequently opened pages when I click on story headline links.  A little bit of a pain, but still a heck of a lot better than having to mess with the LAN cable all the time, that's for sure!

I had actually bought a second cable, identical to the first, as I knew constantly disconnecting and reconnecting the cable would eventually result in a broken connector.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Yep, any time you use any of these generic hacks on a site basis (ad blocker, javascript blacklisting, flash blocker, flash control, HTML5 media hacks, user agent switching, etc.). You need to do a refresh to determine whether the site remains functional to your satisfaction - some just won't function at all one or more of them.

The site may not behave as the designer intended and some are now using "ad blocker" blockers preventing access to the site until you enable ads - i.e. the type that popup up and say "Please consider enabling ads to continue since we rely on ad revenue..."

I'll consider enabling when the site developer/designer considers using my limited data resources more wisely - not everyone has "unlimited high speed internet" ;)

For me, CNN appears less resource intensive with the user agent switcher set to iPhone while setting to Android KitKat appears to stop the videos ... for other sites that doesn't work because the developer hasn't designed the site for an optimized experience on different devices.    

But most of these hacks demonstrate just how wasteful web developers have become by viewing the world through there own unlimited data and high speed rose-colored lenses. The only certainty is that they continue to find more imaginative ways to waste our data and drive up bandwidth requirements - satellite providers just can't keep up with the increasing bandwidth demands (at least not without a rocket launch involved - it's much easier/cheaper/quicker for the land based providers to drive out to a corn field and erect a new tower).

Just think if all subscribers were to use these hacks - we'd have more available capacity for all; but it's a lot of work to monitor one's usage, identify what's going on and select the right mitigation strategy. Some don't have the inclination, patience and time for that and I do get that and some aren't going to fire up the browser's developer tools to look under the hood and see exactly what's going on for a page or site. They want an easy button and the Viasat Browser covers many of them out of the box, but unfortunately not all cases which are some of the more serious data abusers.

With today's web were pretty much at the mercy of web developers who may or may not give a rip about our data usage limitations.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
Very well said.  And I've seen more and more of those sites that yell at you if you use an ad blocker.  Forbes is one of the first that I noticed doing that.  

I'll give that switcher a try on CNN and see how it goes. 

Thanks again for the info.  It's very much appreciated.  

Edit:  WOW.  Setting the user agent switcher to Android KitKat worked perfectly with the videos.  Even better than the JavaScript setting in uBlock Origin.  And I don't have to keep toggling it on and off with that site, which was still easier than the LAN cable trick, mind you.  Perfect!  Thank you!  :)  
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
Old Labs,

It took me a few minutes to find it while searching through the settings, but I finally found where I can add a domain, and what I want it to be on for that domain.  That makes it so much easier than having to switch back and forth.  This user agent switcher is the greatest extension since an ad blocker!  Putting CNN in for the domain, and choosing Android Kit Kat, has worked perfectly.  No more videos automatically playing, yet I can still choose to play them if I want to!  And it's ONLY for that site.   

A millions thanks!!!   

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
For those not interested... TL;DR

Thanks, I learn something new every day too - it pays to keep an open mind and try things that are recommended around here and elsewhere when inclined to say that can't possibly be true - pass it all along to your community (I can't since you're a closed society over there and keep the riff-raff out)  and get it added to somebody's pinned data usage tips over there -  wish we had that feature it would save so much typing and upload bandwidth  ;)

With your prodding, I finally found the Permanent Spoof List option also (as well as others) - it was hiding in plain sight - I'd forgotten that you get to extension options a little differently with the Chromium variants and thought it simply didn't have any advanced options  ;)

Some sites work better with different user agent strings - probably depends on what primary devices/browsers the site developer uses - that's the real purpose of these user agent switchers, to allow developers to see how their site behaves on different devices. Being able to pick and choose which user agent string is used on a site basis is exactly what I was looking for in different user agent extension - the search has been abandoned!

With enough hunting and pecking for the right user agent string and the ability to create custom strings, I can trim all the news sites down to their smallest possible footprint and can usually stop them from continuing to use data in the background.  I only read them for the articles anyway on both sides of the political spectrum ;)

Spoof a user agent string and go to that link above - it'll show you how sites may be interpreting your browser, operating system and device. It's simply a compatibility indication, not actual device and some web enabled applications would prefer to have a site think they have specific comparability requirements (lazy design so as not to have to target multiple environments). It's also why some folks report... "Viasat thinks I'm using an iPhone or Linux, I have neither and they're obviously ripping off my data because my router shows nether of those". Chances are they have an application beyond simply the browser specifying it needs iPhone or Linux compatibility - typically all apps send one by default or the underlying OS API provides a default.

It's hacks like this that allow me to say Viasat is usable even during major slow downs in the sub 1 Mbps range down to about .25 Mbps - it helps if you can get a web site to only send you a fraction of the bloat that they normally send that chews up your available bandwidth. When speeds drop that low, I know enough to not be streaming or downloading ;)

End User Agent Strings 101 for those interested...
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: user agent string

For Firefox, Chrome and Opera users, I found this User-Agent Switcher has a nice setup/interface where one can copy/paste a user agent string, and use it.

There is a manual way of doing it: How To Change User Agent in Firefox but I haven't tried it.

I found this article interesting: Understanding Extension Permission Requests
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Year and a half later you still won’t get what you’re paying for