I am a Seasonal Camper in PA, Does Viasat offer any contracts or can they pause the service when camping season ends October until April?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Limited yearly use
Photo of Robert G

Robert G

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
Hi Robert

We can install on a permanent location so if this is like a trailer or house that's there year round we'll be able to install you. We do have vacation plans where you can keep the service on hold without altering the agreement for up to 6 months once per 12 month period. Upon resuming you can only get the plans available at the time of resuming 
Photo of Robert G

Robert G

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok Thank You!! The camper stays in one place and does not move it is like a vacation home. Can I use my own equipment? If I have a router that is compatible? I would like to sit by the fire and be on my tablet. I ask as I have extended range router I use at home.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1456 Posts
  • 863 Reply Likes
Yes. You should be able to use your own router. It is actually advisable as most routers perform better than the one built into the Viasat modem.
Photo of REDSKIN44

REDSKIN44

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Pay attention close to the wording of the agreement. If you hibernate or whatever they call it you will not be grandfathered in when you resume service. A lot of areas no longer have the low cost higher data plans available. Your $60 a month service could turn into $120 a month or more.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1456 Posts
  • 863 Reply Likes
Very good point. And there is there still a lease fee in hibernation?  I thought I read they had one.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 290 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
If you are going down I-70 bring plenty of money for tolls. Highway robbery is alive and well in Pennsylvania.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1456 Posts
  • 863 Reply Likes
That is another good point! The Pennsylvania Turnpike system is a huge money grab.

If only they would utilize some of that money to build an internet infrastructure!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 290 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Looks like $9.99 a month to hibernate + equipment lease fee, so $19.99 a month for nothing, what a bargain!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
We currently only have the lease option as there's no 3rd party modem that would work as those are DSL and cable modems. You can use your own router though if you want to. 

Regarding the hibernation plan that's always been the case. Nothing new there and you're not paying your full price or a termination fee while not in use