I am a previous Customer and they just charged me $150 for not returning equipment when I returned it all

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am a previous Customer and they just charged me $150 for not returning equipment when I returned everything that I was supposed to return. The return box was pretty self explanatory. Now I am fighting them to return my money. This has been a horrible experience and just a warning to anyone else out there who just canceled their service. Sad thing is we were happy with the company and moved to area where we did not need. I have emailed the support and viasatlistens email and all they wrote back is that we did not recieve the modem back. How do I prove to them I did? should I have taken a picture. Seems like there employees screwed up when checking the equipment back. Now I will be out the money for their mistake, great customer service 
Photo of Dfarrell

Dfarrell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
How did you ship it back? Pretty much every shipper in the US gives you a tracking number. Even the USPS. Are you outside the US?
Photo of Dfarrell

Dfarrell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
they received the package via Fedex (confirmed by phone rep), but they are saying modem was missing, but they got the other items. The return box has spaces for all the pieces and every item was put in the space it goes. I have no way to prove to them that they did not receive, which is very frustrating. 

Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1020 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Dfarrell,

We have your email, expect a response shortly!
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Everyone, ALWAYS take a picture of the contents of the return box with all the equipment in it before sealing it up.

Next, take a picture of the shipping label or write down the Tracking number.

CYA...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1583 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Although, IDK what the big deal about returning worthless equipment is.

I was a NRTC customer that had Viasat. I still have the junk here. Maybe I should just sell the modem to this poor guy to save him money :).
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I had a tria that the tech called obsolete and Viasat wanted it back. It is just a way to suck extra money out of people that don't return it. Around me Hughesnet does require returning old equipment. Plenty of dishes fully intact on locations that now have cable.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Yikes, I meant to say Hughesnet does not make people return old equipment in my area.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Depends on which generation of Hughes equipment.
Newer gen stuff they do require to be returned

Just because the tech said the Viasat TRIA was obsolete does not mean it is so, just his understanding - he is not an employee of Viasat
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 350 Posts
  • 93 Reply Likes
This seems to happen so often.  Viasat really needs to tighten up the procedures in their warehouse. 

Good idea to take a picture but it doesn't prove that the item was in the box when it was finally sealed.  I don't know what the answer is but I have seen this complaint so many times over the years.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1583 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Exactly right. Could take a picture of it in the box and then pull it out.

Incidently, over 20 of them on Ebay right now. Now, they ate worthless, but people still try to sell them.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
If they are worthless why does Viasat want them back? Other than a way to squeeze more money out of customers that they failed.
Photo of joan arquette

joan arquette

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wish I don't have as my intertnet
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1583 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
I am going to assume Viasat has some sort of recycling program but they have to lose money on it, unless people don't return equipment :).
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
when I cancel I am using signature required will film all products going in box and getting taped shut right at shipping area and handed over to the shipping clerk. Then if they charge me I have proof they did so just to take my money. 
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
They use UPS not Fedex.   Did you send in the Tria?  That's usually what people miss and they will charge for that.
(Edited)