Hurricane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Not a Problem
Hurricane - the Texas coast is about to get hit with a serious hurricane , landing somewhere between Corpus Christi and the Mexican border. It will travel up and north of San Antonio causing life threatening situations. Excede should immediately focus on this area and open all plans to highest speed available to help their customers in the area track the storm and keep up with vital information. Let's see how they react!
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Hi John, we don't need unlimited data to track the storm. I'm toward the north end of it's POSSIBLE path and, not worried. Galveston and Houston are going to get hit hard and, I do worry for those people but, once the storm hits, power is going to fail, thus many won't be able to use their home internet service anyway.

As for me, I'll just fire up the generator if it gets that bad here - my Exede system runs just fine on generator power. (What's that word again? Oh yeah, redundancy. xD)
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Tried to login with Facebook . It says I logged in successfully then takes me back to the login page.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3904 Posts
  • 3983 Reply Likes
John B,

Alex mistakenly posted the link to the same content on the private Exede moderator's forum. The proper public link is:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/a-note-on-harvey-the-hurricane
(Edited)
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Apparently though Alex missed my point. As a community service they should remove the data caps for there customers in the affected areas for a few days so they can have access to the faster speeds. When folks Excede the data caps speeds are reduced so much your lucky to open web pages much less graphics. Anyway..................
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3904 Posts
  • 3983 Reply Likes
Nope, don't think it was missed at all - your proposal was fallacious at best leaving him with no answer that would have satisfied you other than free data for all... 

ViaSat and its employees have a long history of active community involvement and charitable giving.

https://www.viasat.com/about/community

In the past and after some natural disasters, they've been ready to get people back up and running quickly and have cut some people a break on charges until they do get back up and running - not that they have any responsibility for acts of god.

(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Having toured one of the gateways personally, I know what's there - loads of redundancy and, every means and tool possible to keep us online, or get us back online ASAP even if there are high winds, power outages, snow, torrential rain, hail, etc...

So much redundancy that the very word could easily be an inside joke. No need for unmetering us, if Laredo goes out for a while because of Harvey, it will be back ASAP, in spite of power outages and, in spite of a lot of other possible problems.

Obviously if the storm is heavy enough at Laredo, it won't be able to connect to the satellite for a little while and, if the wind is expected to be too bad, they will temporarily stow the big antenna(s) to prevent them from being damaged but, beyond that, I think they can keep Laredo online in the wake of Harvey.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3499 Posts
  • 2037 Reply Likes
Hopefully the weather won't be too bad to knock your internet off, you might have to go 8 hours without posting here...lol :).

But seriously, be safe everybody.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
My gateway decided to get the hiccups earlier today for a while. Sympathizing with Laredo I guess. LOL

I'm not going to get much but maybe a bit of rain out of Harvey but, I do hope everyone south of me stays safe. I do have family in Houston so, I'm watching Harvey.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 313 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
When the proverbial stuff hits the fan, with or without power the signal will be blocked.  Hopefully you have cell phone coverage that may continue to work.

I have an app on my iphone called myradar, it works great, when i lose my exede signal due to heavy rain, i first turn off the wifi on the phone, it will continue to try to use wifi unless you turn it off,  and it will use the cellular data and works great.

The app is free and probably also available for android.

You always need at least one backup.

Like others i wish for the best for those folks but it will be a high water flooding situation.

A good resource to track the storm and watch future track models.

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3499 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
Backup plans are very important. Redundant systems where possible.

Wishing everybody the best. Hopefully, like many storms recently, this one is also being overhyped and the "bark" will be worse than the "bite". But one must nevertheless be prepared.
Photo of Waterpixe70

Waterpixe70

• 65 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I live in Hitchcock, part of Galveston County and the rain and wind knocks my service out constantly even during a normal rain storm. I find it funny that Exede would say other wise.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3494 Posts
  • 2028 Reply Likes
All depends on the strength of your SNR (which has a lot to do with your physical location relative to the beam) and the quality of your installation.