How to set up a wired connection with a wireless modem

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have a modem that is already set up with a wireless connection does anybody know how I switch it to a wired connection
Photo of kyre

kyre

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 207 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
The modem already has wired ports on it. Just run an ethernet cable to the device you want to connect.
Photo of kyre

kyre

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The lights where the ports are aren’t lit is what I meant, so how would I set up the wired connection
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 207 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
I don't know which modem you have but I've yet to see one that you could turn the ports off. Some routers/switches do't turn the light on until it sees an active connection. Have you plugged a device into a port?
Photo of kyre

kyre

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of kyre

kyre

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do I have to do something in specific to turn them on
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
No but the device(s) on the other end need to be connected to the cable and active - I've got 4 devices "connected" to my router right now by wired connections. None of the lights are on because those devices are powered off, sleeping or the connection is disabled on the device itself. The lights are connection status indicators - off means no connection, on means connected, flashing means actively being used (transmitting).   
(Edited)
Photo of kyre

kyre

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
By the device(s) on the other side what do u mean a pic would be appreciated

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The device(s) on the other end of the cable ;) Computer, printer, tablet having an ethernet port like the ones shown in yours. 
(Edited)
Photo of kyre

kyre

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh ok so one one of these is connected to the Ethernet cable will the lights show

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Only if the device is powered on and using the connection - the light is simply an indicator that communication is possible (it blinks when being actively used) .
(Edited)
Photo of kyre

kyre

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thx I gladly appreciate ur help
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 672 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
What RU trying to connect?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes

Excuse the messy desk but, that's my Wifi Modem It has a phone for Viasat Voice and, two computers connected via Ethernet cables. I also use a few wireless connected devices in my home.

Just plug the Ethernet cables in and, you're good to go.
(Edited)