How to fix signal loss after wind storm

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
I live in the plains in Colorado and the wind can be intense. Last night we had a particularly gusty wind storm and lost service. Since it takes days to get a response to a service call I am looking for DIY solutions. I have found that you can access the modem service page by going to 192.168.100.1 in your web browser. But need help interpreting the status’s presented (see image attached). I suspect that the dish is misaligned, is there a tool or app that we can use to check or fix dish alignment?
Photo of Ashton Robinson

Ashton Robinson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • irritated

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2821 Posts
  • 1782 Reply Likes
Dish alignment will require a service call.
Photo of Ashton Robinson

Ashton Robinson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If people can get the dish alignment specs for their direct tv dish and align that themselves, then why do I need to wait a week to get my internet back?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
Because of FCC regulations. Directv is a one way dish. The Viasat receives and transmits. It is also much easier to tune a Directv dish.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
I would go outside and gently push the dish in several directions while it is still firmly mounted.  If the signal strength increases as you push it, loosen the dish and slightly move it in the direction that increased signal strength.

I'm no technician, but if your dish is only slightly out of alignment, this might  save you a service call.
Photo of Ashton Robinson

Ashton Robinson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How can I see the status of the signal strength?
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 35 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
it'll change in real time on the SNR bar in the modem page you posted above.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
This is an instance where the mobile app can come in really handy.  However, if your dish is off on more than one axis, the chances of you finding the right spot will be nearly impossible.  If it's swiveled, maybe.  If it's moved up and down, maybe.  If it's turned side to side, maybe.  But if the mount itself has actually moved, or it's a combination of two or more of those things, it's likely to be too difficult.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
Next to impossible. It isnt even easy to tune a Directv dish anymore without a meter since you have to dither it. I cant even begin to imagine.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
What Gabe and the Vet said.  There is an itsy bitsy chance that nudging the dish might help, so I still think its worth a try.  But any serious pointing is going to require a technician.
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 32 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Don’t go outside and push your dish around. Call, don’t post on this site, customer care at (866) 945-3258
Photo of Ashton Robinson

Ashton Robinson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have called customer service, it takes a week to get a service call. If I can get my internet back sooner than that by pushing the dish around, I will.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3521 Posts
  • 2044 Reply Likes
Good luck with that. You will need it!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Even a properly pointed dish that is securely fastened to its mount has bounce. 

If they have already lost service, gently nudging the dish in four different directions can't make anything worse.  I'm not saying to go swinging the dish in all sorts of directions.  That is why I said to gently push the dish while it is still firmly mounted.

The worst that could possibly happen is the original poster would need a service call,  which they already need if they don't go outside and try a simple solution first.

Photo of Ashton Robinson

Ashton Robinson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My question is how can I view the signal strength of the dish? How can I find the angles required for where I need to point my dish?

We manually set my uncles direct tv dish... it’s not rocket science, I just need the signal strength tool and the angles.

I’d rather spend a few hours trying to repoint the dish I strand of be out of service for the 5-7 days it will take to get a service call out here.
Photo of Ashton Robinson

Ashton Robinson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-FFpT...

This video shows a tech using a tool to align the dish. How can I access this tool?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Aligning a Directv dish and a Viasat dish are two very different things. I would take Steve's advice and get a tech out to align it.  There is a very narrow "window" for aligning these things and from the info from installers ( Andy ) of VS2, which you have, they have a very hard time aligning them.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
It requires placing the modem into install mode and to do that requires a modem key only available to certified installers. There are various "point and peak job aids" to be found but unless you have the modem key they are of little use.
(Edited)
Photo of michele

michele

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I live in Fort Collins, Colorado and have been without internet for about 24 hours.  Does anyone know if there is an outage in this area?

Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 35 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The elevation shouldn't need to be messed with if it was an actual wind issue. 

3 bolts on the collar can be loosened a little to make moving it easier, watching the SNR bar in the modem status page you put up there will tell you your strength of signal. Higher = better.

Gonna be impossible to properly align without modem key though