How Long does the Liberty Pass Naughty List Last?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
So Liberty Pass worked awesome the first 2 months we had service, consistant 1-5kbs all the time.  NOW that we are on the "Naughty List" since we use too much data as soon as we hit the Liberty Pass our speeds are crippled to 56k or less.  Now that Exede customer service has explained that people who use too much data in Liberty Pass mode will have their speeds crippled we have altered our usage habits somewhat, so i'm wondering how long it takes for us to get back in the data holders good graces and get usable speeds when in Liberty Pass mode?
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
  • Sad that Liberty Pass won't let us play

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of William Walker

William Walker

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I too feared that I was put on the "naughty list".  Customer service skirted the issue.  I would say I'm not even getting 1mbps. They would say we only promise 80% of what is advertised.  I would say 0.2 isn't even close to 80%.  I got stonewalled.  I asked to speak to their manager.  They said no!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Hi William,

If you are seeing this in peak hours this is within the Liberty Pass expectations. However if you're seeing the 0.2mbps during the daytime that's something we want to look into. Please call us at 855-463-9333 or email us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we can look into it. For more information please visit this site http://www.exede.com/liberty/
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 337 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
How much do you have to use in a month to get on the "naughty list" ?
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
This is a mysterious question, apparently known by the Keepers of the Data.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Crickets from Exede on this one...not sure how a customer is supposed to know how to manage their data usage if you cannot get a straight answer on this question.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
There's no such list. If one existed I'd work with you Justin because believe it or not I like helping customers as much as I can. As our page states you will see 1-5mbps while on Liberty Pass. During Peak Hours, you will drop below 1mbps. That's how Liberty Pass works. Customers have the option to purchase additional data or upgrade a larger data cap plan. I'm sorry that's not the answer that was sought but that's all I can offer as an answer: I can only go on what our company's official stance is. 
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Good question Markgc
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 337 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Is it a daily amount or a monthly amount do you think, or maybe both.
Photo of Andrew Richardson

Andrew Richardson

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have been super frustrated. My first month of using exede I wanted to push my data usage to see what I was going to be working with when I was on the liberty pass. It worked fine. That is until the first month was over. The day my data was supposed to reset the internet wouldn't work (I could only log into my exede account. Gmail and even google would not load) Called tech and they said they were having glitches with some modems and did something to mine remotely and the internet came back on, but at a very slow speed. After they auto drew my payment and I expected to see speeds around 15 mbps like when I first got the internet, I did not see 1 day, not 1 day where my speeds exceeded 1mbps. I have had near constant packet loss for the past week and it has made it impossible to skype with my sister in the navy. I get disconnected at least once every minute or 2. I already overpay for internet service by having to use these guys and this is putting me over the edge.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
So far we haven't had any issues with Liberty Pass but with fall/winter coming we'll want to stream some football and later basketball games so I suppose that could change.  :/   We can just hope when we put this place on the market it sells fast and we are moved back to our place with our great WISP provider before that happens.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
For those experiencing Liberty Issues, here is what I found out while I was on the Liberty Plan (I have since moved off of it):

1.  No one anywhere will give you ANY hard information about how they determine who is or who is not an excessive user.

2.  ANY and ALL restrictions that occur while on the Pass once you are over your priority data *should* be lifted at the start of your next Billing cycle.  Note that they indicate your date may experience further restrictions through the end of your usage cycle (or that is what it used to say).

3.  The only guarantee I could ever get from anyone anywhere is that your speeds should not fall below 256 Kbps (equal to the dapped speed of classic users).  Now this too may have changed at some point.

4. Supposedly just going over your Priority usage in some congested beams can through you into this category.  In other words what constitutes excessive usage will depend on how busy your beam is.  Fewer people on a beam means less restrictions are needed to ensure priority speeds for users that have not gone over.

5.  Even on a classic plan with Priority Data, i seem very slow speeds in the evenings.  Many times at 1 Mbps or slightly higher.  

Just wanted to through some insight into this.  Now, if you are persistent and know the correct numbers to call, you can get more information, but for me in the end it made no difference to the offered service, only allowed me to get the answers I was looking for.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info Brian, surprising they are not in legal hot water over these plans, but I suppose when the Exede contract is so wishy washy and basically says we'll kinda sorta maybe do whatever it is we like with your data and speeds maybe that holds up.  

It is amazing to me that noone at Exede seems to give a rip about their customers having these issues with this plan.  We continue to experience speeds that make the service basically unusable, at all times of the day.  I'm strongly considering cancelling this service altogether and just using our cell service, half the time i end up logging my phone off of the WiFi because 1 bar of cell service is faster than the Liberty Pass with Exede, at least it is once you get on the Naughty List.  
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 337 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Dare I ask but how much data did you use to get on the naughty list?
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
I don't remember the exact number, but it was quite alot though....however, remember that this was BEFORE Exede took it upon themselves to notify my of the fine print in the contract indicating there would be penalties if you used Liberty Pass too much.  We've since altered our data usage to try and stay within the mysterious data limits, not that it matters much because we really can't use any data at all currently because our speeds are sub 56K and you can't hardly send an email.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Hi guys,

The Liberty Pass does act like our classic DAP/Data restriction *During* prime and peak hours. This falls under the 1-5mbps that users will see in the non-peak/non-primetime times. 0.2mbps is the usual speed we see. Keep in mind you can always purchase additional priority data to pull yourself out of this restriction. With that said while in Liberty Pass your speeds will fluctuate throughout the day and the late nights within the 1-5mbps range. Each month everything resets.  If you're going below 1mbps during the day when it's not our peak or prime hours and you've bypassed your router that's something we will look into. Of course with account security we ask that you email us at exedelistens@viasat.com or if you don't want to talk to us you can call 855-463-9333. For more information on Liberty Pass please visit http://www.exede.com/liberty/
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
So when a customer is on the Liberty Pass the advertised and sold 1-5mbps is in reality a very unrealistic expectation when most folks want to use the internet, i'm glad we have confirmed that. For the past 2 months I've never seen 1-5mbps while on the Liberty Pass, good times. 
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 263 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
Justin, during the day, I get around 4 to 5 Mbps, but the evening hours it drops down a whole lot. I try to do anything during the day once I am on the Pass.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Night=prime and peak hours. You'll see it drop below the 1-5mbps. Daytime/mornings/afternoon it'll be in the 1-5mbps. Late nights it'll return to 1-5mbps. 
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
10-4, so the times I would like to use it, it will be unuseable...check. $80/month, what a deal!
Photo of Todd Gardenhire

Todd Gardenhire

• 28 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
So its plain and simple EXEDE LIES about the actual download speeds after you are on liberty pass. 
I was flat out told, after numerous questions about the fact, that i would indeed never see speeds slower than 1-5 mbps. 
EXEDE LIES to its customers to get them into a two year contract that you must pay to be released from.
Care to give a explanation exede?
I would have to figure your sales people would know what is going on and deliberately tell the customer these things...I SURE WAS!
I have pictures of the speed tests to back it up, all they do is LIE!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
You should have done your homework and read the information that is plainly available to everyone.  " The Liberty Plans are not unlimited. Heavy users of Liberty Pass may experience slower speeds than lighter users of Liberty Pass. Your speeds on Liberty Pass will vary and in certain situations (such as during evening hours when the network is busy), the speeds may be so slow that your ability to use the internet may be greatly impaired. See the Data Allowance Policy and Network Management Policy for more information."
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Yep we should have done more homework, and Exede should hold their salespeople to more ethical standards, but choose not to.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2256 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Hi Todd,  I'm sorry if you feel that we have not given you the entire story. The speeds vary not only with satellite internet but with all internet carriers. It is based on the traffic at any given time. 
Jim provided a great article to review at your convenience. Another great article is
http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Data-allowance-101. It explains the reason for data caps and links to several articles that may help.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
All carriers vary, but when it varies from 10mbs to 5mbs its not vary noticable, when it varies from 10mbs to 56Kbs as it does in this case then its a bit more of an issue, as I'm sure you can imagine. 
Photo of Myrt Hooson

Myrt Hooson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Service is terrible, can't wait until I find a service that won't jerk me around. 
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Was a cloudy, cool day in Missouri yesterday so decided to stay in and watch the olympics and catch up on some social media and emails....we are in Naughty LIst mode so I had speeds under .3mbps and gave up after every page was taking 30 seconds to load.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
So the conclusion seems to be the Naughty List lasts forever, we never, ever, not even during a full moon on Friday the 13th see the 1-5MPBS.  I wouldnt be mad if we got like a week or so of it then they shut us off, but the second we run out or priority data now we are crippled to .2mpbs or slower.  Judging by the number of threads popping up on this subject it certainly is a trend, blows my mind they can get away with this.