How does Viasat set prices?

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
If I go to the Viasat website and enter 87123 (Albq, NM0 and search for plans, I find a range of unlimited data plans, starting with Bronze 25 for $70/month (3 month teaser at $50), with 35 or 40GB of data before prioritization sets in  (I say 35 or 40GB, because different places on the website give different numbers). If instead I put in 87027 (rural NM, 100 miles NW of Albq, no alternatives to satellite internet, same beam 82 on viasat 1), I get Bronze 12 for $100/month (with three month teaser at $70). 

Let's see if I've got this right. Lower speed service, more money. Same satellite (at least it the satellite reaches both places). I guess it's what the market will bear.

Anything technical that would prevent a  "friendly installer" from installing in 87027 but listing the service address as 87123?
Photo of NewMexicoMountains

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3394 Posts
  • 1273 Reply Likes
Prices are varied by location/beam based on how full the area is and what plans can be offered. The plans and prices are determined by marketing. 

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Message to marketing - if you keep dumping three generation old service on customers at higher prices than superior current generation service you provide to other customers, don't expect to build customer loyalty. Viasat treats the entire inter-mountain west like an afterthought. As soon as a competitor hits the market, we'll all run from Viasat as fast as we can.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 48 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Don't feel too slighted the beam in the Central Virginia area doesn't have a lot of happy campers on it either. Many have fled to Verizon or ATT wireless.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 82 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Yes. That has been happening many places. As alternative internet options become available, it puts pressure on satellite internet to remain competitive in the United States.

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
At least you have cellular alternatives. In large parts of NW New Mexico there is no cell service and quite possibly never will be. The only hope is the various proposed low-earth orbit constellations of WiFi satellites.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 48 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Cellular alternatives are hit and miss here also In Central Va, just like satellite. You can travel 2 miles and go from a 5 bar signal to 0-1.

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Nothing hit or miss about it here. Just plain miss. No signal for 20-30 miles at a stretch, and that's along the highway. Leave the highway and it it's an RF desert.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 82 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
There will always be certain areas of the country where people will be off the grid so to speak. I mean there are many people that have to provide their own power even.

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Doing that too. Power or wired communication would require paying to string around 5 miles of wire across the national forest, which wouldn't give a permit even if I asked.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 82 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Where is Tesla when you need him! I am talking about the man not the car BTW. Lol

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
As I noted in the original message - it's the same beam, so it presumably has the same degree of "fullness", and at least from a technical perspective can support the same plans. About all that leaves it that the Viasat/Hughesnet duopoly is using it's position squeeze rural customers for extra bucks. It's not like providing the service there costs anymore. It's that there's no competition.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 82 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Your analysis is spot on but it is what it is.  2 miles to my east I would pay more for less, but the same beam.  However I found alternatives to satellite internet so it doesn't bother me anymore.  I lurk here to annoy a few posters though. 

As for a dealer lying about your location, if that was found out, they would lose their installer license.

Good luck. 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
87123 is a Viasat-2 service area offering Platinum 100 to new subscribers - typically a very small foot print. It also offers Basic 25 - akin to Liberty 12 with an 0300 - 0800 free zone.

87027 is a different beam only offering those weird, overpriced. Unlimited 12 Mbps (Bronze 12, Silver 12 and Gold 12) plans to new subscribers- some suggestions elsewhere that those are now being offered on augmented beams and some Viasat-1 beams.

What does your account page say you can upgrade to?

Beam 82 mentioned is an augmented beam (WIldblue-1 or Anik F2). Viasat-1 never covered any portions of NM to my knowledge.

When in doubt call a local dealer...
(Edited)

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
My account page doesn't even offer Unlimited 12 plans - only Liberty 12, 25, 50, 100.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 82 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
There is a Liberty 100 plan???

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I guess I got carried away. Biggest plan is Liberty 50.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 99 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
NewMexicoMountains In regards to your no cellular service available where you live, if your phone supports WiFi Calling you can make & receive cell calls thru your internet.
And the closest VS2 Small Beam (lower price) to you barely hits Los Alamos, zero chase you could get a signal in your zipcode.

You should be able to get VS2 on a Large Beam but is stupid ridiculous & crazy expensive.

Casual Observer Beam 82 which is an augmented beam from the original WB bird, paints top half of NM and down to Silver City

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Oh, great. Another way to burn through expensive data :-)
Actually the house sits on the one place for miles around where, with a 3W amplifier and Yagi, I can get a couple of bars of signal. Without that, nothing.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 82 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Sounds like you can get wireless then.

NewMexicoMountains

• 57 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
voice, yes, data, no. I tried a $1000 LTE booster (and larger Yagi), but still couldn't catch the signal. On the odd occasion I can get 3G, but it's not reliable and obviously it's slow.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 48 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
So NM you have a booster that gets you cell signal? Where I am at my phone is usually 1-3 bars (varies in the same spot) and I can get wireless through either ATT or Verizon. I have ATT my neighbor has Verizon. The hotspots supposedly have a stronger antenna than a cell phone. I even drop calls from time to time,but the internet never drops.