How do they claim 30 mbps is high speed and faster than dsl? I have dsl at 100 mbps, and less $ per month. than

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
HUH?
Photo of Tim Taylor

Tim Taylor

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Why are you posting here if you have access to 100 mbps DSL?  Satellite internet is for people with no  better options.  Where I am there is no DSL or cable, and many in my area have no usable cell service (Verizon is the only carrier, and US Cellular I guess (but not many use them).  Also, I live 15 miles from the village.  They have 5 meg DSL there, it works up to 8 miles from town.  At the end of the line it averages around 1 meg.  Also, the 5 meg service costs $50 per month, plus the landline is mandatory at $35 per month.  So $85 per month minimum for their internet at 5 meg.  I am glad your Internet service is cheaper and faster than satellite.  For many people it is not cheaper, and not available.
So, does Viasat say they are faster than all DSL?  No.  But they are faster than many rural DSL providers, so they can say they are faster than some providers.  That said, myself and most people I know would take reliable 5 meg DSL over 25 meg satellite service if given the choice.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
DSL is 128 Kbps to 3Mbps. VDSL2 is up to 100 Mbps, two different things. While it may be a technicality that not everyone is aware of, Viasat is faster than DSL, not faster than VDSL2 but, that isn't DSL.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 26 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I think that DSL caps out at 12Mbps if you are within 1 mile of the sub-station and gets notably weaker(slower) the further out ... So far as I know, 6 miles is the maximum distance you can be from a sub-station to get DSL (not as the pro flies but as the truck drives).

3 miles should max out at around 6Mbps if you have good line contains.
5 miles should max out around 3Mbps with good line conditions.
6 miles should max out around 1Mbps with good line conditions.

What the OP has is not "DSL" ... 
Photo of Paul Adams

Paul Adams

• 22 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have 3 mbps (upload) dsl and my Viasat Silver isn't faster. But the only way I can use 2 devices simultaneously is to have both. I think Viasat is wrong to claim faster than basic DSL (if indeed they do).

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.