How do I export my email contacts?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am adding a gmail account and want to import my contacts from wildblue/exceed. Can't seem to find the right POP and smtp combination so I am trying to do it manually by converting it to a CSV file, but I cannot figure out how to do that either.
Photo of Dianna Lysgaard

Dianna Lysgaard

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi Dianna, there is a feature you can use on the new Zimbra platform for import/export functions. I have not used it, but here is how you can find the feature. Log in to your Exede/Wildblue webmail page, click the preferences tab (top of screen), then look down towards the bottom of the preferences categories pane on left side of screen. You will see the import/export tab, which will open the page containing the options for import/export of account, calendar and contact files. There is also a fairly extensive online help feature you can access by clicking the little arrow to the right of your user name at the top right of screen. You can also try accessing help from your new gmail.com account to see if they provide any specific instructions for importing contacts file into gmail. Good luck!
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Also, I just happened to remember that JEP posted a method you can use as an alternative to the above options:
https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/moving-email-documents-to-another-email
Photo of Vanh3829 .

Vanh3829 .

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
The preferences/export route gave me a contact file with a .tgz extension. How do I convert that to a .csv file? or alternatively how can I do the orginal export getting a csv file?
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Vanh, that's a kind of zipped file -- I'm not sure how that might have happened. I just tried to export contacts a couple of different ways and they all came out as .csv files. You might give it another try with one of the other options for exporting.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi Vanh, JEP provided an easy alternative method to export contacts as vcf file at the link here.  Best of luck to ya.
https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/moving-email-documents-to-another-email
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I tried a few weeks ago to perform an export operation to gmail, to see how it worked. It popped up with the option window to open the tgz file, but I don't have software to do so. It was only an experiment for me because I really did not want all my contacts or emails to export to gmail. However, for some of those who do, I can see how it might be frustrating. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.