How congested is Beam 315?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged

I currently have DSL that is $102.00 a month with speeds of 1.5mbs.  We generally use the internet to watch Netflix or amazon for an hour in the evening or listen to music.  The plans offered in my area are Liberty 12, 25 and 50 for $50, $75 and $100.  I cant find any info on beam 315.  Anyone else on that beam?  Should I switch? 

Photo of Jen

Jen

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
No.
Photo of Johnson

Johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hell no!!! I’m dropping this bs soon my contract is up lol
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 84 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Nyet
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Jen, HD video streaming uses about 1 GB per hour so, even on the Liberty 50 plan, with streaming music, email and, normal web browsing, you probably use at or close to 50 GB/month. If anyone games, downloads podcasts, books, TV or movies, then you use even more data.

Yes, you may see faster speeds with Viasat but, you'll also have much higher latency, ping in the gaming world and, that isn't good for gaming - it causes lag. You would also need to monitor and control usage to maintain higher speeds, which you don't have to do now.

One Windows 10 update can burn 5 GB or more, and, you have to adjust windows 10 settings to keep it fro using your data to upload updates.

The choice is your but, if DSL is meeting your internet needs, I wouldn't advise switching. If anything go with Liberty 12 for a couple of months but keep the DSL as well, see how Viasat works out and, then decide if you want to stay with both or drop the DSL and get a bigger Viasat plan.
Photo of Bob Sewell

Bob Sewell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do NOT switch. You will regret it if you do.
Photo of Jen

Jen

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I appreciate the feedback!  Thanks!
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Best thing ever happend to me is when tmobile gave unlimited LTE for $25 dropped exede expensive capped data.thought when viasat 2 came out prices would drop but all they did was gimp the cap and keep prices same or raised them.I would keep what u have
Photo of Mohammad Hussein al-Baghdadi

Mohammad Hussein al-Baghdadi

• 40 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

Viasat need rase price way up to drive people away.

Then beem have space.

Then rich can enjoy what pay for.