How bad is the internet congestion in beam 319?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I am interested in Viasat but I would like to know how bad the internet congestion is after passing the priority data. Also after passing the priority data, is it slow all the time or just on prime time?
Photo of Nick Siefert

Nick Siefert

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3088 Posts
  • 1755 Reply Likes
Well keep in mind priority data or not, it will be slow during primetime.
You are not on one of the most congested beams, but 319 is more congested than say beams out west.
Photo of Nick Siefert

Nick Siefert

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok thank you. But let’s say 9 in the morning and I have passed my priority data. What do you think the estimated speed would be since it is not prime time. I was looking at the ultimate silver plan btw.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1755 Reply Likes
Hard to say. Some on here report no problems with unlimited plans, but in general everybody stays within their priority data. Once out of that, all bets are off.

I am to the east of beam 319. Even WITH priority data 500kbps is not uncommon during primetime.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2988 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
You'll most likely be put on ViaSat-2 upon activation. 
Photo of Nick Siefert

Nick Siefert

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is Viasat 2 active yet? If so is it better?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1755 Reply Likes
Except it would be a large beam. And there have been some dismal performance reports on large beams, at least in terms of video performance.
Photo of Nick Siefert

Nick Siefert

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok. Last question, my family likes to play video games online. How would the performance be?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3057 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
I am a gamer and, I do play over my Viasat connection but, games are a bit hit and miss due to the latency (lag) being 600 ms or more. That's the laws of physics and, there is nothing we can do about that.

In general fast twitch games, first person shooters and the like do not work well but, turn based combat, role playing and adventure games usually do okay. With any game you will have lag of 1/2 to 1 second PERIOD and, you have to adjust your play style to compensate as best you can but, that isn't a big hindrance in games like Aion, WoW, Rift and such.
Photo of Nick Siefert

Nick Siefert

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok thank you. That is all I need. Thank you guys. Much appreciation.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1755 Reply Likes
What Bev saud is correct. The fast twitch games don't work well at all on any satellite internet connection.