• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Very disappointed in my service.

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3958 Posts
  • 2371 Reply Likes
Do you still have priority data available? What general location do you live in? What plan are you on?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2444 Posts
  • 1254 Reply Likes
From what i can tell, the original poster has already used all of his or her priority data. We already went over this in another thread.

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/t...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3958 Posts
  • 2371 Reply Likes
Well....still unlimited data is available to use....
Photo of Tanner Wood.

Tanner Wood.

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I understand what unlimited is you guys. MOST unlimited plans don't throttle your speed so much even after you run out of priority data. THAT is my point. Something Stephen can't seem to grasp. All he wants to do is play the "teachers pet" persona for viasat. As I've stated I'm not the only one with this iasue..
Photo of Tanner Wood.

Tanner Wood.

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Also the upload speed occasionally falls to flat 0.00 while upload will rise. That should never happen. There's a reason windstream fell under lawsuit and even they were better than this. I'm not trying to be a jerk I just want answers or help. Not insults.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2344 Posts
  • 2053 Reply Likes
The answer is to stay under your priority data . If you go over you can still check email and surf the web. Starting new posts with your same complaint won't change this. I have never gone over my data. Pretty simple concept. If you need more data than upgrade to a bigger plan if you can. This is satellite internet. This is how it will always work. You getting around 1mbs after using all your data is better than a lot of people get. You should be very happy about that.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2441 Posts
  • 1250 Reply Likes
Sounds like he needs to sign up for Windstream.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 742 Reply Likes
The trick to a capped (or soft capped) service is using it within its means.  I don't have Viasat, but rather something similar, and I've never run out of my monthly plan data.  I did once in while when I had a daily refill plan, but that was always due to a large Windows update, never something optional.   
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3942 Posts
  • 2350 Reply Likes
That exactly right Don't buy a Bronze plan and think you can get buy. But a Silver or Gold plan if you need more data.

Video resolution isnt the only difference in the "unlimited" plans.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 883 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
uhhhh just one question... i can see ya playing onto your xbox one cause i too have one as i know what the screen looks like onto an xbox one with the network and stuff... my one question is... why was you trying to play your xbox one when on satellite internet @>@ they tell ALL customers that first person shooters DONT work... cause of the ping and stuff... BUT!!! fighting games is aok onto my end and stuff :3 just was asking mi one question :3
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2444 Posts
  • 1254 Reply Likes
You think it's bad now? Just wait until AT&T buys Viasat.
Photo of Dontrellz Page

Dontrellz Page

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
AT&T is not going to buy Viasat that just a Rumor
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2444 Posts
  • 1254 Reply Likes
I'm the person who started the rumor.  I still think we will hear talks of a buyout once Viasat 3 goes live.  

Remember, it was AT&T that made video calls to the moon possible in Space Odyssey 2001.  
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 484 Posts
  • 184 Reply Likes
Tanner  Wood,

Ok, the reason for such slow speed is congestion. Right?  Especially after all priority data has been used. Ok, some beams are way oversold. Right? This is a fact of life with satellite internet. Ok, the question is this...What can be done about it?  As far as I can tell, the only cure for congestion is less people using the internet, and more specifically, less people using the internet to try to stream video!  So, how to fix it?  Maybe ask some subscribers to take a "buy out", some incentive for them to voluntarily look for service elsewhere.  Would you be willing to do that?  How about Viasat just not streaming video?  Is that a solution?

How would you solve the problem?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4120 Posts
  • 4209 Reply Likes
Odd-even rationing ;)

Michael McDowell

• 484 Posts
  • 184 Reply Likes
Maybe have a lottery and just start shutting people down at random!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2344 Posts
  • 2053 Reply Likes
They do shut people down. It's called a data cap.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3222 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
Personally, I'd hard cap, as in no service, for all plans other than Unlimited at say 150% of allotment used. That still gives them a bit of leeway but, prevents abuse of the smaller, cheaper plans. Then those that want to use 300 GB on a 12 GB plan will either do so during the free zone, buy more data, change plans or, do without internet.

Seems fair to me, those of us that do pay for the unlimited plans should not have to endure crawling speeds because of someone only willing to pay for a 12, 25 or 50 GB plan that wants to use as much or more than we do. Boot them off during Prime time, restrict those users to the free zone if they aren't willing to pay for their excessive usage in relation to the plan they pay for. Leave the bandwidth for those that stay under their priority cap or, are willing to pay for the unlimited plans or, have bought more data.

Obviously unlimited plans should never see a hard cap but, IMHO, other plans should have hard caps where exceeding purchased data by too far results in a temporary loss of service.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 743 Reply Likes
 Maybe ask some subscribers to take a "buy out", some incentive for them to voluntarily look for service elsewhere.

For most, if they could get service elsewhere they wouldn't have satellite internet in the first place. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes
I find it amusing how people exede their data caps and want to see others kicked off the system so they can maintain their speed.  It is really funny when you think about it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 743 Reply Likes
Agreed.  And I don't think someone who has a smaller plan and continues to use their service at the reduced speed, even if they're doing so for hours and hours, is "abusing" the service.  It's part of their plan and they are allowed to do so.  

I know of a few people on my service who are still able to stream, and do so quite a bit, when they are in FAP.  I say, "more power to them."  If they can do so, and are allowed, why not?  If I were a streamer and could do so, I would, too.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes
90 to 95 percent of my usage is done when the network isn't busy. I rarely use bandwidth to do anything during prime time.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3946 Posts
  • 2357 Reply Likes
I have to agree. But Viasat doesn't do itself any favors offering plans as "unlimited", but then after 40GB (or less in some circumstances) the system might grind down so slow it is next to unusable.

Michael McDowell

• 484 Posts
  • 184 Reply Likes
Stephen -- As an owner of Viasat stock -- Do you know when the next earnings call will be?  Seems like I remember it is supposed to be around the 8th of May.  Maybe we will get a more definitive answer from that!  Although, I think that there is always a lot of "rose colored smoke" blown around, at those things! 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes
I don't keep up with earning calls but I do know stock is up 1.65 percent today and my primetime speed is 10.3 mbps.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4120 Posts
  • 4209 Reply Likes
Since it's Q4 and closing out FY 2018, they're typically around 2 weeks later than the Q1, Q2 and Q3 calls - my guess would be somewhere around May 22 or so - more beans must be counted ;) SHould be announced soon over at:

http://investors.viasat.com/

Apparently the stock is up in response to the 12/12/12 plans ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes
Whoa. I just read Bev's post. Is she mad at me for using 300 GB of data in one month during the late night free zone?

300 GB months are rare for me anyway. Last month I only used 170 GB.

Michael McDowell

• 484 Posts
  • 184 Reply Likes
Bev doesn't sound quite the same since she returned from her hiatus!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes
My mistake.  I used 185 GB of data last month on Liberty 12.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3946 Posts
  • 2357 Reply Likes
Well that makes all the difference. Glad you continue to troll Stephen! :)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes
Maybe Bev can use her rights to ban me.  We really need better forum software.  I'm sure there are plenty of people that would like to put me on ignore.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3946 Posts
  • 2357 Reply Likes
Not me! Even if you are a shill for the Liberty Plan.

Now there are others I would like to put in ignore mode, but not you :).
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2271 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Tanner,  We are looking a variety of options to relieve congestion to provide a great experience for our customers. This is on-going.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 438 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes
Viasat needs to come clean about what the issue is with Viasat 2. The new satellite was supposed to vastly improve our service and it hasn't.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3958 Posts
  • 2369 Reply Likes
Think the best you will get is what some dealers in the know will share. However, at this point it should be obvious, whatever is going on with Viasat-2 is not what any of us envisioned, unfortunately.