home phone isn't working

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
didn't realize it wasn't working till step daughter came over to complain. there is no dial tone at all
Photo of Carol George

Carol George

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of mike davoli

mike davoli

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
mine hasn't worked all day called and they said they were working on system and call when it was fixed how about a call or email before you shut it down?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 383 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
My phone was out this morning so I chatted with support. They said they could not troubleshoot by chat or email and I needed to call. I reminded them I had NO PHONE to call with. They replied I could use my cell phone or have a trusted neighbor call. If I had reliable cell service why would I have Viasat phone? And if I call from a neighbors phone the first thing they would do is ask questions that required me to be at the modem.

Lacking anything else to do, I power cycled the modem and that seems to have corrected the problem at the moment. Is the viasat system so primitive they can’t run remorse diagnostics? Even Frontier could do that with their ancient DSL modems.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2391 Posts
  • 467 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello, Viasat is experiencing an outage at this time with the Voice service.  Rebooting the modem and the phone adapter is a temporary fix. We are working diligently to resolve this issue.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 382 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
Diana, I appreciate your candidate reply. Good luck getting things sorted out.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 625 Reply Likes
You could save more money by dropping Viasat Voice and go with a cheaper VOIP alternative. Sounds like an alternative would be more stable too.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 382 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
@ExSatUser. Possibly, but I doubt it in my case. Phone has been the sole bright spot of Viasat until now. This is my first non-weather outage in more than 6 months, which is even better than my former Frontier landline service. The internet has been far less reliable than Viasat phone so I don’t think VOIP would be a good solution.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 625 Reply Likes
Strange that internet doesnt work but your Viasat phone does.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
My VOIP service with Anveo works great. Never had any issues and it is less than half the price of Exede Voice.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 625 Reply Likes
Exactly.

My work is all VOIP now. Only a matter of time the old copper phone wires are gone. Companies are not going to maintain it for only 10% of the population. It will go the way of the telegraph at some point.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 382 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
But you need very reliable internet for VOIP to be viable.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It was reliable enough for me when I had a Classic plan and it still is on my Freedom plan.