hibernation plan

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
would disconnecting the modem from the dish cable serve the same purpose as a hibernation plan?  or in other words to eliminate use of priority data?
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 77 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
First question - no

Don't understand second one
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 77 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
would data be used  on ones account if the cable was disconnected that connects the dish to the modem.?
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 213 Posts
  • 186 Reply Likes
No - the modem itself counts data that flows over the WAN port (the cable that connects dish to modem if you will). With it disconnected no data can flow or be counted.

However, the modem periodically reports the data counted to command central somewhere - that's why there's a delay in what your usage meter may reflect. That delay can be up to 24 hours but in most circumstances is 15 minutes.

This is why some folks mistakenly report that data is being used while the modem is off unplugged, off, etc. The data used prior to disconnecting hasn't been reported yet - once connected again the data used prior to that is reported. The account's usage meter is not real-time.        
(Edited)
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 213 Posts
  • 186 Reply Likes
Second question - it would eliminate all data use

Except for a certain modem sitting in some unknown FBI office and whose ethernet cable was cut off - it's still consuming data after three years or so ;) Those who've been around here long enough know what I'm talking about.

The purpose of the hibernation plan is to save money not data.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
Those who've been around here long enough know what I'm talking about.
I wasn't here then, but it wasn't hard to find.  Just too funny.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1231 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
I prefer to contact the FIB in GTA. Now they can get things done!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Havent' heard that in a while....used to be weekly
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1231 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
Interesting question
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
No that will still run a charge whether it's used or not. If you unplug it and aren't using it I guess you're not using the data BUT you still get charged for it and we don't offer roll-overs
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Also, unless this has changed, as far as I know when you hibernate your plan, there is no guarantee that you can retain that plan when you resume service. This is more of a concern for customers with older, grand-fathered premium plans which they don't wish to lose. I have no idea how it applies (or even if it applies) to newer plans. Just in general be aware that you might not be able to resume your current plan if you take advantage of the hibernation option.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
"Just in general be aware that you might not be able to resume your current plan if you take advantage of the hibernation option."

This has caused many folks a great deal of disappointment when they learned it 'the hard way'
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1231 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
Indeed. Just another way Viasat's policies cause dissatisfaction with current customers.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 122 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Exactly why I will be cancelling my "service" soon.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Rique is absolutely correct. I understand the frustration but when an account is resumed we can only resume it with whatever is being offered in the area at the time. A lot can change during the time it's on hold such as demand and limited bandwidth to divide which leads to some plans not being offered when resuming. Vacation mode can be used for up to 6 months once in a rolling 12 month period. If you're out for like 2 weeks it really isn't worth it as opposed to if you're leaving a summer home and won't return til late spring. 
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 77 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Brad:  Understood.  Thanks